The Muppets is Brainwashing Our Kids

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
What excatly is this a parody of? Is this parodying Fox News?
Yes, it is. That's the FOX News cube on the left hand side that now says "WGF News." My thinking is that it could stand for "We Give Fake News." Hahaha.

Anyway, the guy citing the Muppets movie as racist obviously didn't pay much attention. There were African Americans in Smalltown! And the Moopets weren't citing black culture, they were citing crass, urban culture. It is my belief that any politically incorrect racism is stemming from the author of the article. It doesn't mean a person (or Moopet) isn't white just because they dress and speak a particular way. That's what's racist! :stick_out_tongue:

The Muppets are top celebrities again so people are gonna throw mud. I actually take it as a good sign. People are tools trying to ride the Muppets' coat tails to popularity by bashing them.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
The Muppets are top celebrities again so people are gonna throw mud. I actually take it as a good sign. People are tools trying to ride the Muppets' coat tails to popularity by bashing them.
So caqn we look forward to Kermit and Piggy stories in the supermarket tabloids? Thats how you know when you've really made it :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm over the moon angry now because this new Firefox is so friggin unstable I'm posting this freaking thing for the third freaking time and I'm VERY angry about it.

Anyway... Fox commentators don't see movies then complain about how they don't agree with themes that aren't even there... They attacked Secret of Arriety for being some communist brainwashing propaganda, when there wasn't anything anti-rich about the whole film. In fact, the distrust of handouts from humans to Borrowers sounds like a very libertarian ideal.

Now I'm going to post a reply and post another one because I don't trust Firefox.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Anyway, the guy citing the Muppets movie as racist obviously didn't pay much attention. There were African Americans in Smalltown! And the Moopets weren't citing black culture, they were citing crass, urban culture. It is my belief that any politically incorrect racism is stemming from the author of the article. It doesn't mean a person (or Moopet) isn't white just because they dress and speak a particular way. That's what's racist! :stick_out_tongue:
We can attack Fox News all day, but this guy shows that idiotic unfounded agenda pushing complaints don't just come from the far right, but also the far left. The guy clearly is a racist, and he's one of the most annoying kinds of racists... the kind that don't think they're racist and have crusades about how racist they think everyone else is, all the while making themselves sound very racist in defense of not being racist.

That's the problem with "political correctness" here. We can jump all over a commercial for having a "racist" accent (as long as it isn't Indians. YAY! Let's make fun of them and no one will complain! Tech n Talk is FUNNY!), but if there was a huge actual hate crime or race riot, those kind of people will give their best Jerry Seinfled "...That's a shame." and turn a blind eye. The actual violent acts of hate get ignored, but a TV show will get hundreds of letters. Welcome to the US.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
More like welcome to the times we live in. It's when I read stupid crap like this I wish I could turn the clock back to when I was a child. A time when you could say whatever you want and nobody could care two licks about it.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
You know I'd like to think we're all better than this. America is still one of the greatest places to live (no offense to those who don't live here...I'm sure where you live is all pretty swell too). Our country may have problems, but we have many freedoms as well. The problem comes when people abuse that freedom of speech and use it to say hateful and hurtful things (Meaningless accusations against fictional characters and muppets alike). It also doesn't help that the media grabs the negative (Liberal and conservative media alike) and puts it out there as a conspiracy or worse. I wish we would start looking at the positive things that America (or anywhere) has. For instance the Muppet Movie. It may sound silly, but I think a movie that doesn't resort to cheap low humor (we can forgive the fart shoes I think), insane amounts of pointless violence against people (Celebrities are not people I hear), and an attitude of hope (If not a real message other than the world need Muppets) should be celebrated. In this day and age there are always going to be those who spout the negative (My students would call the "haters" I believe...not to date myself or anything). If you look at history at any given point there are negative things about our country. People have fought (and died) to rectify those things. I guess it just seems with the media the way it is today it seems like everybody...good and bad has a bigger megaphone to talk through. I guess its up to all of us to brush off the negative and get out there and share the positive...that is what the muppets would do...and I think that is what Jim Henson would do. And I think all of us who have been touched by Jim Henson have a little of him in us. That is something worth sharing with the world.........sorry I'm rantng again. Have a good day everyone. I'm going to hide under a piece of furniture or something.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I personally feel unless Jim was alive today it's kind of hard to picture what he would do. I just know I hate politics and I hate politically correct. That's all I have to say and I'm not saying anymore on this topic.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
OOO I like the shorter comment much better than mine. Politics bad (I'm a history teacher so I'm not really supposed to say that but.....)

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Jim was very interested in the environment and bringing people together. His work rarely outright vilified anyone except for maybe Doc Hopper. J.P. Grosse, Nicky Holiday, the Skeksis and Jereth the Goblin King are all flawed characters. They choose less than ideal or unkind paths, but they are all still important to the world around them. None of these guys are outright evil. That's what makes Jim's work interesting. I also think that spirit is celebrated in Tex Richman. There would probably be less outcry if they'd made him a strip-mall developer instead of an oilman. Environmental issues really had no role int he film. Neither did corporate greed. Tex had a chip on his shoulder about the Muppets and his full song really would have helped illustrate that.

Jim's "The Muppets" wouldn't have just been different. It would have been unnecessary. Jim was expanding his work into areas outside of the Muppets. It's even possible that Kermit and others could have been recast while he was still around. He was even in the early stages of creating an animated Muppet movie with the Disney animators. But we are where we are. And the Muppets are climbing back from obscurity. They've had their golden era. It's now time for their silver or bronze era. Ultimately, that could be much more interesting. Where do they go from here? Well, now they have endless options. :fanatic:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Environmental issues really had no role int he film. Neither did corporate greed. Tex had a chip on his shoulder about the Muppets and his full song really would have helped illustrate that.
I disagree that they had no role in the film, but yes I like that they initially did make the effort to make Tex more complex. :smile: