Are the Buddies Ever Gonna be Put to Sleep?

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's true!

Didn't last too long, though. All based off the second movie, and they got Dom back to voice Tiger... not so much Jon Lovits as Chula (Dan Castelanetta did that in the series) and John Cleese as Cat R. Waul (forget who)... I distinctly remember an episode where Fievel pretended he was Zorro.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Yes, a short-lived one after Fievel Goes West... I saw a few clips from it on YouTube, nothing really impressive... and they made Chula sound like Krusty the Klown for some reason. I'm sure they couldn't afford Jon Lovitz to reprise that role (but let's face it, Jon Lovitz is one of the greats of our times), but still...
Oh my bear!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay... you know what's even worse?

Beverly Hills Chihuahua 3 ! U can't believe they're making that a series of bad DTV movies as well. Especially after the lame fad of vapid upper class bimbos keeping those dogs in their purses died out just after the first movie. You remember that fad. The one that left all those abused, abandoned chihuahuas at animal shelters to be put down because no one wanted them after they became unfashionable?

Still... these clearly written by white people to supposedly appeal to Hispanic people crap is almost even worse because it just has a slight air of racism to them. More so than that one dog in Air Buddies that talks entirely on dated 1990's street slang.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Okay... you know what's even worse?

Beverly Hills Chihuahua 3 ! U can't believe they're making that a series of bad DTV movies as well. Especially after the lame fad of vapid upper class bimbos keeping those dogs in their purses died out just after the first movie. You remember that fad. The one that left all those abused, abandoned chihuahuas at animal shelters to be put down because no one wanted them after they became unfashionable?

Still... these clearly written by white people to supposedly appeal to Hispanic people crap is almost even worse because it just has a slight air of racism to them. More so than that one dog in Air Buddies that talks entirely on dated 1990's street slang.
What?!!!!!!!!!!!! I haven't even seen number 2 yet. Has anybody, and is it any good? The first one was kinda cute, but not good enough for two sequles.!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's just really clear that Hollywood is short of ideas that all they're doing now anymore are cheapquels and remakes... I mean just look at the movies in the past few years, and the movies that are planned to be released in the next couple of years, look at the amount of pictures that are arguable original, then look at the amount that are either sequels or remakes.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
It's just really clear that Hollywood is short of ideas that all they're doing now anymore are cheapquels and remakes... I mean just look at the movies in the past few years, and the movies that are planned to be released in the next couple of years, look at the amount of pictures that are arguable original, then look at the amount that are either sequels or remakes.
Yeah. Even Baby Geniuses (yuck!) got a sequel. I'm not kidding.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Seeing Open Season 3 in the 5 dollar bin at walmart made me happy :stick_out_tongue:

I wasn't even aware they made a Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2, let alone the first movie was good enough to warrant sequels

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's just really clear that Hollywood is short of ideas that all they're doing now anymore are cheapquels and remakes...
On a technicality, Hollywood ran out of ideas decades upon decades ago. They make the same movies (either literal remakes or similar storylines) because there's nothing else to make. Everything's been done. Even the Star Wars movies, the original ones, took from samurai, cowboy, and Flash Gordon movies. That meme drives me nuts because, let's face it... we're out of plots and plot twists. That means we'd never see movies ever made ever again. Who wants that?

But "running out of ideas" is not why Disney ever did cheapquels. It's more like "running out of revenue streams." The only reason why we're getting Air Buddies 6 and Chihuahuas 3 are because Lassiter put a stop to the animated DTV movies. They said nothing about the live action films... and on the plus side, they don't cheapen the films they came from because those films were crap to begin with.

Look at Hunchback of Notre Dame 2. That completely confounds the Victor Hugo legacy in a way a family friendly ending can't. It's bad enough (though understandable) that Esmeralda and Quasi both live (like Disney's going to do a movie where Quasi buries himself alive), but to have a happy, peppy sequel that makes no sense whatsoever? I mean, Lion King was lucky. Lion King 2 was actually quite good, almost shockingly good. The Aladdin sequels weren't too bad (though Robin Williams saved the third one)... I liked Extremely Goofy Movie, despite the constant ESPN commercials... but some of these films were just confounding and retreads of the last film.

So, in a way, I'll forgive the live action cheapquels. At least George of the Jungle 2 was kinda funny. Still had the Jay Ward spirit more than Dudley Do*Right.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
On a technicality, Hollywood ran out of ideas decades upon decades ago. They make the same movies (either literal remakes or similar storylines) because there's nothing else to make. Everything's been done. Even the Star Wars movies, the original ones, took from samurai, cowboy, and Flash Gordon movies. That meme drives me nuts because, let's face it... we're out of plots and plot twists. That means we'd never see movies ever made ever again. Who wants that?

But "running out of ideas" is not why Disney ever did cheapquels. It's more like "running out of revenue streams." The only reason why we're getting Air Buddies 6 and Chihuahuas 3 are because Lassiter put a stop to the animated DTV movies. They said nothing about the live action films... and on the plus side, they don't cheapen the films they came from because those films were crap to begin with.

Look at Hunchback of Notre Dame 2. That completely confounds the Victor Hugo legacy in a way a family friendly ending can't. It's bad enough (though understandable) that Esmeralda and Quasi both live (like Disney's going to do a movie where Quasi buries himself alive), but to have a happy, peppy sequel that makes no sense whatsoever? I mean, Lion King was lucky. Lion King 2 was actually quite good, almost shockingly good. The Aladdin sequels weren't too bad (though Robin Williams saved the third one)... I liked Extremely Goofy Movie, despite the constant ESPN commercials... but some of these films were just confounding and retreads of the last film.

So, in a way, I'll forgive the live action cheapquels. At least George of the Jungle 2 was kinda funny. Still had the Jay Ward spirit more than Dudley Do*Right.
Yeah Hunchback 2 rehased the first, but took away from an excellent animated film!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hunchback was a strange choice of a Disney movie to begin with.
It really seemed that in that period EVERYTHING got a sequel except for things that should have had sequels. Hercules 2 never happened... and the rumor was they were going to use the original plot of the Hercules movie (the one we didn't see all about the Trojan Wars), but instead just gave us the first 3 episodes of the cartoon edited together.

I will say it was strange they made a sequel (and animated series) of Emperor's New Groove, considering they treated it so shabbily when it was first released. That one was pretty good too, actually.

Now, what I wanna know is what strange exception the Tinkerbelle movies keep getting. I know the first one was far too into production to cancel completely (they just rewrote the first one before it was finished), but they keep having follow ups to them. These are based on Italian comics, which leads me to ask, why not give Donald Duck's Italian alteregos some DTV's? Secret Agent, caped vigilante... The third and final Chris Nolan Batman movie's coming out this summer... it would have been the perfect time to capitalize on it with a Duck Avenger DTV project. We haven't had the comics for over a year or two. Those were really good.