Speculation: Potential Sequel for "The Muppets"

DannyRWW

Reaction score
I think Walter as the over eager newbie Muppet fits in well without it being a direct sequel. I'm also fine if the next movie deals with them being a troupe of performers and still put in a new plot... as long as they aren't living in a boarding house. If you look at the last several projects (Minus Wizard of OZ thoughe ven there to some extent) the Muppets have played the Muppets and I'm okay with that. Though I'm also fine with them playing themselves but in a different non continuity situation similar to Muppets take Manhattan or the Great Muppe Caper (Caper being a good example of this idea working). I just don't want them playing characters like in the Based on books movies. A direct sequel is not a good idea but if handled correctly might work...but its a long shot.

Walter

Reaction score
I think Walter as the over eager newbie Muppet fits in well without it being a direct sequel. I'm also fine if the next movie deals with them being a troupe of performers and still put in a new plot... as long as they aren't living in a boarding house. If you look at the last several projects (Minus Wizard of OZ thoughe ven there to some extent) the Muppets have played the Muppets and I'm okay with that. Though I'm also fine with them playing themselves but in a different non continuity situation similar to Muppets take Manhattan or the Great Muppe Caper (Caper being a good example of this idea working). I just don't want them playing characters like in the Based on books movies. A direct sequel is not a good idea but if handled correctly might work...but its a long shot.
Yeah..I wasn't crazy about the "Muppets playing Muppets" in MWoO.. It's not their fault..but because Dorothy's dad used an incredibly vulgar word to describe them..p..pu..Pup*EXPLICIT*s..:embarrassed:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
If they did use the same writers I'd be fine with that. Honestly the only thing that would need working on is the editing. Some of the deleted scenes are quite funny and I think would have made the movie stronger. The movie was enjoyable as is, but I said from the beginning that there was too much plot exposition and not enough basic Muppet antics.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Yeah..I wasn't crazy about the "Muppets playing Muppets" in MWoO.. It's not their fault..but because Dorothy's dad used an incredibly vulgar word to describe them..p..pu..Pup*EXPLICIT*s..:embarrassed:
At least he didn't call them socks...that would have been much worse.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Jason Segel tells Collider that he won't be back to write or star in the next Muppet movie...
http://collider.com/jason-segel-the-muppets-sequel/150004/#more-150004

From Jason himself... "My goal was to bring The Muppets back and I did that leaving them in very good hands... All I wanted to do was to set the stage for them to do whatever they wanted."

Words cannot express how right he is there. He brought them back. He did exactly what he set out to do... and what we needed him to do. Thank you, Jason. Thank you so much.

zoebell

Reaction score
not surprised at all. i'm sure nick will fill him in on the ideas and stuff, but i never thought he was essential to maintaining them in the future

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Walter is the character who introduced an entire generation of kids to the Muppets so I think he's here to stay. It would seem mean to exclude him at this point. He's one of the gang and I'm so happy the writers and his performer got him just right. It could have easily gone the other way, but they hit it out of the park! The only time I cried in "The Muppets" is when Walter encourages Kermit to reunite the gang by mentioning that he is on his wrist watch. It was so sweet and earnest!

I have no idea what this film could be about! Glad I don't have the task to write it. Haha! Continuing the writing/directing team doesn't bother me. The script was far from perfect, but it was also an improvement over MFS, KSY, VMX, MWO and LTS. Most of those had Muppet veteran writing/directing teams on them too. I'm okay that they're continuing with this fresh take. Those guys aren't forgotten because there will be more Muppet projects on television and elsewhere.

The puppets seem to have been rebuilt with more durable materials than previous incarnations. I might be wrong about that, but I think that's why some of them looked a little different - especially the foam on Gonzo's nose. I think we can expect to see the epic cast of characters for years to come. Let's just hope for more Pepe and other of Bill's characters like Johnny Fiama. I miss that guy!

It seems likely that this film could beat a Fraggle, Dark Crystal or Happytime Murders movie to the theaters. The Muppets make financial sense and nearly half the box office has come from overseas markets. Disney loves that sort of thing! I just hope that this is the tip of the iceberg. We could easily see a new Muppet film as soon as summer/fall 2013! Probably not before that. Maybe we'll get other goodies while we wait!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I guess we can speculate that if Gary and Mary aren't in the film, it might just be another film entirely. That's kinda what I'm hoping. Still, I want Segel to have a nice cameo if he's able to. There's nothing short of nobility in his quote.

I do indeed hope to see more of the newer characters in this project... though I really hope they find a way to get Brian on board to, at the very least, loop dialogue so we can have a great Johnny and Sal moment. Johnny's a good character, but he's a great character when played with Sal. I'm sure Pepe and Rizzo will have much, much more to do in the film. The best part is, that whole introduction and getting the Muppets back together stuff is already done, so even if we get a direct sequel, they have no barriers on what to do for the next film. I just hope this time, they put more plot in the regular scenes, and less that they have to cut out. Get a GOOD editor for this film. Or better yet, write a plot that takes no longer than 60 minutes of story, leaving over 30 minutes of flat out wackiness to flesh out the film.

Editing is the ONLY humbug this movie had... some concepts didn't completely gel, and wouldn't ya know? Gonzo was probably in almost every single one of them.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
From Jason himself... "My goal was to bring The Muppets back and I did that leaving them in very good hands... All I wanted to do was to set the stage for them to do whatever they wanted."

Words cannot express how right he is there. He brought them back. He did exactly what he set out to do... and what we needed him to do. Thank you, Jason. Thank you so much.
I agree completely here. He took the Muppets and put them back in a place where they had a successful movie and loads of TV appearances and won an Oscar and now he's got people who appreciate and understand the Muppets to work on a sequel. I just hope they squeeze in a tiny cameo for him in the sequel.

Matgo Styles

Reaction score
I came up with an idea for a movie several years ago when The Muppets were in the wilderness.... "Star Crossed Muppets", a take on Romeo & Juliet. I thought there could be plenty of scope for Kermit in the Romeo role and Piggy as Juliet, with their families against a frog marrying a pig.

Obviously R&J has a tragic ending, so it would need tweaking a bit, but I think its got legs.