The Muppets is now the top-grossing Muppet movie

terrimonster

Reaction score
Well... from what I understand the Muppets aren't all that popular in Japan. Sesame Street sure. That's huge. But the Muppet Show? Not so much. I would be surprised if the dent that movie makes there is a significant one.
Yeah. I was in Japan when the movie came out here. I asked a friend there about the Muppets' presence in Japan and she said that most people know they exist, but it doesn't go much beyond that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah. I was in Japan when the movie came out here. I asked a friend there about the Muppets' presence in Japan and she said that most people know they exist, but it doesn't go much beyond that.
Somethings either don't translate to another country or just don't catch on. I'm sure a Tensai Bakabon movie wouldn't do well over here either. They just didn't have a good introduction over there... but they LOVE Sesame Street over there. That's why they're all over their Universal Studios parks.

Borples

Reaction score
it looks like the movie's not getting released in france now. i wonder why? seems like such a wasted opportunity. the muppets are just as known there as any other european country- they even had a revived muppets tv show there in 2005

i think it could do well in france- at least as well as some of the bigger markets. they seemed to put all their PR into the UK though. seems to be paying off there, but still...i think france should have at least had a release.
Maybe they got tired of Kermit joking that he can't go there for fear of being eaten. :big_grin:

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
Box Office Mojo is reporting a North American gross of $88,482,000 as of today, March 4 (I'm surprised that this figure is still growing - it might actually catch GMC in terms of actual ticket sales after all!) and an overseas gross of $65,000,000-plus.

Lookin' good, folks...lookin' MIGHTY good! :smile:

zoebell

Reaction score
sooo close to 90....sigh. i don't think it'll get there though

Drtooth

Reaction score
Box Office Mojo is reporting a North American gross of $88,482,000 as of today, March 4 (I'm surprised that this figure is still growing - it might actually catch GMC in terms of actual ticket sales after all!) and an overseas gross of $65,000,000-plus.

Lookin' good, folks...lookin' MIGHTY good! :smile:
A sequel or rather follow up movie is confirmed. There's no need to count anything anymore, since we're going to get another one anyway.

zoebell

Reaction score
does anyone know what the current worldwide gross is? boxofficemojo hasn't updated the numbers in a while, but it's got to be over 160 now

i was just curious

jvcarroll

Reaction score
A sequel or rather follow up movie is confirmed. There's no need to count anything anymore, since we're going to get another one anyway.
Some people like to watch film grosses the same way that others like to gage sports statistics. It adds enjoyment to the experience of some fans. I'm one of them. :fanatic: I also like to see how audiences and critics perceive the outcome too. The fact that nearly half of the box office receipts for "The Muppets" have come from overseas markets will certainly shape the way they'll market subsequent Muppet projects. They're back and they're global. I'd still like to see how much. However, none of it means anything about the film's personal value. :smile: