Can we PLEASE implement a rule against bumping old threads?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I've noticed a lot of newbies bumping ancient threads like 5 to 10 years old. First of all, I don't know how they even find these threads, but it is quite annoying to see a newbie bump a thread with nothing productive to say.

I don't think necroposting should be outright against the rules, but I feel that unless you have something valid to contribute to a conversation, it should be considered spam. For example, this would include people quoting things as if they just learned how to quote, with a simple response like "Yay!" or "I dunno."

Threads that are a bit more personal should just be locked if someone revives it. Example, a thread from 8 years ago about a member concerned with their social life and someone bumps it. Obviously if it is 8 years old, the member is either not around, or the problem has been long resolved.

This is the only forum that i am on that has no form of necroposting rule. And I think we need to be stricter about it.

We Got Us

Reaction score
I don't know about that. Who is really hurting? The personal threads I can completely understand, but sometimes newbies find old threads that address what people want to talk about, so why not revive them rather then start a new one?

Beakerfan

Reaction score
I agree with Sarge - it is one thing if the "bumper" has new information or something to say about the topic, but I've seen a number of very old threads brought back with what seems to be no real purpose. It seems to me people are not paying attention to how old the thread is, and in turn are treating it as thought it is an on-going topic. It makes things confusing.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I think the way they are found it when new members do a search for a phrase, and find old threads about the subject, and without necesserally realizing, they post a comment and it brings it to the top. We've gotta think though...what's more irritating, being constantly asked the same questions...or having old threads where the answers are already contained, rebumped from time to time? I know which I'd prefer...and I enjoy reading through old threads sometimes to see what I was like back then (generally more funny, and less cranky.)

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I don't know about that. Who is really hurting? The personal threads I can completely understand, but sometimes newbies find old threads that address what people want to talk about, so why not revive them rather then start a new one?
I think the way they are found it when new members do a search for a phrase, and find old threads about the subject, and without necesserally realizing, they post a comment and it brings it to the top. We've gotta think though...what's more irritating, being constantly asked the same questions...or having old threads where the answers are already contained, rebumped from time to time? I know which I'd prefer...and I enjoy reading through old threads sometimes to see what I was like back then (generally more funny, and less cranky.)
I think you are misunderstanding me. Bumping threads is fine provided you are actually contributing to the conversation. But I have found newbies recently just quoting things and replying with a one word statement, which just causes confusion.

like this

Beauregard

Reaction score
I think you are misunderstanding me. Bumping threads is fine provided you are actually contributing to the conversation. But I have found newbies recently just quoting things and replying with a one word statement, which just causes confusion.

like this
ok.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
OK I get in the post that you mentioned above. But it shouldn't be against the rules to post on older threads, but people should stop posting unneccesary comments.