The Muppets is now the top-grossing Muppet movie

zoebell

Reaction score
can i ask where you're getting that number from? because boxofficemojo has it at 88 million as of today

it'd be nice if it could somehow squeak past 90, since it's so close...i could see it as possible, since them being at the oscars and likely winning that award will draw more attention to it and probably give it a teeny bit of a bounce next week. but it's close

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
can i ask where you're getting that number from? because boxofficemojo has it at 88 million as of today

it'd be nice if it could somehow squeak past 90, since it's so close...i could see it as possible, since them being at the oscars and likely winning that award will draw more attention to it and probably give it a teeny bit of a bounce next week. but it's close
Use the inflation adjuster they have, The Muppets edges out Great Muppet Caper.

zoebell

Reaction score
by the way, i was looking at boxoffice.com, and that was the first place i saw that had the budget listed as being 90 million

we know it was 45, so is that adding in marketing costs or something? or maybe just a mistake? i guess i didn't know how much was spent on marketing, studios usually don't report that number

oh, and the movie's doing great in the UK! i guess they're having a school holiday, so it actually increased this weekend and it seems to be having great legs over there- the opposite of what happened here. but that's really good news :smile:

zoebell

Reaction score
is the movie ever coming out in japan? does anyone know?

zoebell

Reaction score
oh, good. i think the biggest markets outside the UK for this could potentially be france and japan

if you think about it, it's gonna get to 160 million now with ONLY what it ends up with in the UK, since it's doing so well there.

then, let's say, at minimum, it were to make 20 million in france and japan each. and of course, it will be adding more totals from the other countries in the next couple months. it's not impossible that it could end up with 200 million worlwide

and that would be awesome. 200 ww gross on a 45 million budget is very successful

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
The various numbers being flung around are confusing me a little bit, but even if The Muppets comes close to GMC domestically, that's great news, especially with the encouraging numbers from overseas and the great start in the UK (thanks to all of you who have been updating us in this regard).

Bear in mind that the climate for The Muppets is significantly different than what TMM and GMC experienced. Apart from the quality of these films and the unique spin they put on the standard movie musical (very few of which were being made at this point), they hit theatres during a pop-culture "sweet spot" for the Muppets.

TMS was three seasons old (and a massive hit) when TMM was released in 1979, bringing a lot of people to theatres simply for the novelty of seeing Kermit and the gang in a full-length movie. GMC arrived at the end of TMS' very successful run and also had the goodwill left over from TMM to back it up, even though they were two very different movies. Plus, the success of the "classic Muppet" cast meant the world was deluged with spinoffs (particularly in the areas of TV specials and merchandising) as these movies were landing in theatres.

That The Muppets has done so well with no weekly TV series and very little in terms of regular appearances, in a world clogged with big-budget CGI mock-ups of pre-existing properties, is enough of a cause to celebrate from where I'm sitting.

zoebell

Reaction score
it looks like the movie's not getting released in france now. i wonder why? seems like such a wasted opportunity. the muppets are just as known there as any other european country- they even had a revived muppets tv show there in 2005

i think it could do well in france- at least as well as some of the bigger markets. they seemed to put all their PR into the UK though. seems to be paying off there, but still...i think france should have at least had a release.

Drtooth

Reaction score
oh, good. i think the biggest markets outside the UK for this could potentially be france and japan
Well... from what I understand the Muppets aren't all that popular in Japan. Sesame Street sure. That's huge. But the Muppet Show? Not so much. I would be surprised if the dent that movie makes there is a significant one.