Bert and Ernie Gay Rumor: Settled

Drtooth

Reaction score
I am so sick of this whole Bert and Ernie gay thing....it's been going on for so many years...I mean come on. The things people choose to pick at or rumor. Puppets being gay. OMG. Glad it's settled.
If you read the last few posts, we've actually moved on to the far more annoying Veggie Monster rumor. While Ernie and Bert are open to interpretation, Cookie Monster's "Veggie phase" was no more than a song that came a decade or so after another song...

While the Ernie and Bert thing can be a bug up the butt of prejudiced people, the Veggie Monster thing is the bug up OUR butts because we know that wasn't the case. While this continually becomes an issue of a very casual fan-base that doesn't bother checking the show to see the contrary, SW has settled that rumor, almost more vocally than the Ernie and Bert one, even having Cookie repeatedly say "Me not going to become Broccoli Monster" all over the place.

Walter

Reaction score
Wow, This thread sure has gotten big!
My take on it.. I accept Bert and Ernie for what they are..friends who live together on Sesame Street:stick_out_tongue::frown:. I also accept Cookie monster for what he is, not a monster who rejects veggies, but a monster that really likes cookies:insatiable:! I guess I simply look at things from the artist given perspective...which I guess in this case is the finished product.

I do make some exceptions to this though.. Anybody here watch that 90s Disney series Gargoyles?? Well apparently season 3 is considered non canon because Greg Weissman did not produce it..Disney took it out of his hands.. But he did say that if the series would continue(in comic book form) then Lexington would have come out and had a partner named Stag.

Yeah, I know I'm a Muppet fan and I like Gargoyles:batty: lol

Drtooth

Reaction score
I also accept Cookie monster for what he is, not a monster who rejects veggies, but a monster that really likes cookies:insatiable:!

Well, I rarely take small asides into canon... but if we can accept Guy Smiley as a stage name...

According to this, Cookie is indeed his nickname. Cookies are his favorite food, but we all know he's prone to eat anything. I think it's safe to assume Cookie would need to eat veggies and other fibrous food substances for... well... roughage reasons. I'm sure it isn't easy to pass a truck... through a digestive system, that is.

The character DID basically start up eating everything, even before he was known as Cookie... and we have to thank Frank Oz and the Sesame Street writers for taking a character and making it far deeper than the one note joke he could have easily turned into.

Still, the overreaction of that botched news story STILL managing to ruffle feathers 6... no...7 years after the fact. Annoying to say the least.

beaker

Reaction score
I am so sick of this whole Bert and Ernie gay thing....it's been going on for so many years...I mean come on. The things people choose to pick at or rumor. Puppets being gay. OMG. Glad it's settled.
There are a few Muppets that are/are most likely gay. I don't believe Bert and Ernie were intended to be seen as gay. The more you dive into documentaries featuring Jim Henson and Frank Oz, it's so clear it's a spoof of how Jim was this freeflowing person and Oz was...a little more uptight:smile:

But if the LGBT community has taken on B and L as de facto representitives, I think thats fine too