Bert and Ernie Gay Rumor: Settled

Beauregard

Reaction score
Recently Miss Piggy weighed in with an opinion...

Interviewer: You've heard of the rumors about Ernie and Bert?

Miss Piggy: That they are Puppets?

Int: No, the other rumors. Do you think they are true?

Miss Piggy: No, I really do not think they are Puppets.

LOVE that answer :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
As scary as some of the machinations of the Ernie and Bert gay rumor are (various "religious" organizations that care more about power than God or Jesus's intentions), the Veggie Monster rumor is just coming out a place of pure annoyance.

I get the fact people hate change that comes with growing up... I do to, for the most part... but once again, they feel it's another intrusion on their oh so precious childhoods, that something new that just happened here to for destroys everything that they already had, instead of making that stuff all the more special. I mean, yeah... Star Wars, Lucas went in and screwed stuff up... sure... but SW never took it's 35 back years of Cookie Monster skits and digitally altered them so he eats raw vegetables (and of course, they ignored the 1980's Healthy Food rap).

Over all, the fact they're still over reacting to a botched noise...errr... news... no... I DO mean noise story covering that one song from like 5 years ago just makes this completely idiotic.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Maybe its better I can't get that to load. I understand that people get upset when they mess with their childhood and all, but some stuff people complain about is just petty

Drtooth

Reaction score
Maybe its better I can't get that to load. I understand that people get upset when they mess with their childhood and all, but some stuff people complain about is just petty
If they make a movie like Smurfs or Chipmunks, I can see it (though... eh.. I sort of liked Smurfs and the first Chipmunks film)... I completely understand the Star Wars purists, even though I never really watched the films UNTIL the special edition re-releases to theaters... and I would understand this if it truly happened. But other than the fact he sang, like ONE song and said "sometimes food" in one other episode, there hasn't been any change to the character... other than the fact you barely see him unless it's that chibi-animated form in that overused Sesame English letter of the day clip.

Cookie Monster wasn't funny for eating cookies... he was funny for eating EVERYTHING!

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
But other than the fact he sang, like ONE song and said "sometimes food" in one other episode, there hasn't been any change to the character... other than the fact you barely see him unless it's that chibi-animated form in that overused Sesame English letter of the day clip.

Cookie Monster wasn't funny for eating cookies... he was funny for eating EVERYTHING!
Thats what I mean by people being petty

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think people are just generally aware that the show has made a lot of questionable changes in recent years and they're looking for something concrete to pin down and attack.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think people are just generally aware that the show has made a lot of questionable changes in recent years and they're looking for something concrete to pin down and attack.
You stated the problem perfectly... there are a lot of things about the show that I get the resentment towards... the block format, the shift of demographics for a younger age group, the insane amount of structure and playing it all too safe to avoid offending some group or another (especially when they used to stand their ground a lot better)... even when the shift towards an Elmo focus that made sense...

but the problem isn't SW changing a character, so much as bungling up press releases that the noise media bungled even further. The complaints weren't from die hards who will watch the show and pick it apart on a critical level... it's more of the people who don't have kids, probably won't, haven't watched the show since they were 5, will not watch the show ever again, other than a random Youtube clip of an old segment. None of these people bothered watching the show afterwards, because everyone's fears SHOULD be put at ease, as he's still eating cookies.

I do agree that using him to help kids know about nutrition was a good idea, but somehow, it seems that Elmo would have worked just as good. Like a Goofus and Gallant type example... Elmo eats regular, healthy foods... Cookie eats weird stuff that kids shouldn't eat.

Alvin

Reaction score
I am so sick of this whole Bert and Ernie gay thing....it's been going on for so many years...I mean come on. The things people choose to pick at or rumor. Puppets being gay. OMG. Glad it's settled.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I am so sick of this whole Bert and Ernie gay thing....it's been going on for so many years...I mean come on. The things people choose to pick at or rumor. Puppets being gay. OMG. Glad it's settled.
Settled? I think even a casual glance at this thread reveals that this will ever really be settled. The point is - who cares? Only prejudice people!

Muppets exist in the abstract and should never be completely defined. Some fans will see a gay couple and others will see roommates and both are okay! The fact that Frank Oz reportedly thinks one way and Sesame Workshop's press office thinks another doesn't mean that each individual viewer can't see their own experiences through the diverse family of Muppets. And that's okay. And now for a beautifully ambiguous licensed belt buckle: