No Oscar Performance?

Richard

Reaction score
I'm a big supporter of the Muppets needing to be on the Oscars... to the point where I created a Facebook page called Muppets Or No Oscars and wrote a piece about it for theTVAddict.com called Sing Kermie, Sing! If anyone would like to support the "cause", head over to the Facebook page and hit like. And for my thoughts on WHY this is so important, you can click here. Um... yes, I guess you could say this is something of a personal crusade for me. LOL. What can I say? The world needs more muppets, not less! Feel free to repost/link any of the above with both my permission and, more importantly, gratitude! Let's make this happen!!!

Drtooth

Reaction score
My worry now nis that because Muppet fans are griping so much they will give the Oscar to the other song out of spite :frown:

Ah, they were probably going to give it to Rio anyway. The Bakadamy picked a lot of crap for nominations this year.

Still, they should at LEAST have let the Muppets hand out the Animated Feature awards or have Piggy intro the costume design awards.

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
If there's any hope, it comes from this portion of the original article on the Deadline Web site (the source for the Billboard.com story):

Though this decision sounds firm because of the telecast’s pressure-cooker time constraints, some of those affected hope all-powerful Academy Awards telecast producers Brian Grazer and Don Mischer still have a work in progress.

“The show is not locked yet. Decisions about this and other things continue to be evaluated by the team trying to produce the most entertaining 3 hours possible,” one authoritative source just emailed us. “Someone ‘leaking’ this possibility to you is just another way for people to try and influence the creative direction of the show.”

Glad to hear, as well, that Disney (and Fox) appear to have fought the possibility that both songs could be eliminated.

Of course, I have a bit of Muppet bias but I think it's flat-out ridiculous to drop the Best Song nominee performances, particularly this year. The academy shouldn't kid itself - the Oscar telecast is a long, deadly snoozefest even at the best of times. Why not pop in something that could bring some much-needed colour and humour to the proceedings?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Of course, I have a bit of Muppet bias but I think it's flat-out ridiculous to drop the Best Song nominee performances, particularly this year. The academy shouldn't kid itself - the Oscar telecast is a long, deadly snoozefest even at the best of times. Why not pop in something that could bring some much-needed colour and humour to the proceedings?
I don't like how they have like 9-10 nominees for best film, and give all that time to swooning over them via long clips and even longer introductions. They can't squeeze in about... let's say 7 minutes for 2 songs to the show? Thing runs very long all the time.

Look at the year "Blame Canada" was nominated for best song. It didn't win, but the performance by Robin Williams was one of the most memorable things I've ever seen. Even if Man or Muppet doesn't win (and it SHOULD), just the performance would be worth it. Though I hope in this case they get the Muppets, or at least the Jason Segal Muppet and Walter.

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
That's funny...I was thinking about "Blame Canada" too. I didn't even like the South Park movie but I thought that Oscar performance was a piece of genius. That's an excellent example for our current discussion.

I don't think the academy realizes that it's blowing a glorious chance to create some goodwill with a jaded moviegoing (and TV-watching) public. Can you imagine the water-cooler buzz the following day, chattering about the Muppets showing up for a big Oscar production number, with Jason Segel and perhaps even Jim Parsons - who's HUGE due to the success of The Big Bang Theory - reprising their movie roles?

I don't want to assume that the Oscar show's problems would be fixed by a Muppet production number but I'm shuddering at the potential for a huge missed opportunity on Academy Award night...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't think the academy realizes that it's blowing a glorious chance to create some goodwill with a jaded moviegoing (and TV-watching) public.
And then they wonder why people don't watch the Oscars anymore, lol.

Richard

Reaction score
I ain't gonna lie: Of all the nominated films — and we’re talking in every category, from best pic to supporting actor — I've only seen one. And I'm not ashamed to admit that one flick was Bridesmaids.

zoebell

Reaction score
that's pretty common these days. i've seen more but that's only because i'm really into film and kind of seek them out

people don't watch the oscars anymore because less people have seen the movies that get nominated. i'm not saying they should nominate stuff like transformers just to get people to watch, but now there's such a gap between awards movies and popular movies. it used to be more mixed

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
i'm not saying they should nominate stuff like transformers just to get people to watch, but now there's such a gap between awards movies and popular movies. it used to be more mixed
And even the ones that actually are nominated tend to still be "popular films." You won't see too many decent independent ones, heh. Nor will you see too many working actors receiving awards when you have movie stars to take all the glory. Theses awards shows are just a way to keep the Hollywood machine going, not to reward art.

zoebell

Reaction score
that's because they still want to keep it the center of attention. if they completely dumped movie stars and any popular movies at all for only indies and working actors, it would basically become the Tony's. Awards for a select group of people with no outreach to the general public. but people still think of the Academy Awards as the ultimate thing for movies, and they don't want to let that go

of course, if it keeps going the way it's going, it may end up that way eventually.