"MAN OR MUPPET" Nominated for Best Original Song OSCAR!

Borples

Reaction score
Yeah, if it loses to Rio, I think it's time we all go colonize our own planet. I hear Koozebain is lovely this time of year. :wink:

So a few weeks ago, I was reading about the process for nominating songs. Apparently, eligible voters had to watch all of the songs on the list as they were presented in their respective movies, and immediately after give them a score. Songs had to have a certain average score or higher to be eligible as a nominee. Which I guess explains why there are only two songs nominated this year--either there was no really good music, or members of the Academy were all grumpy. Anyway, when I read that, I thought that it might hurt Life's a Happy Song's chances. Because the very first time I heard that song, I was thinking it was a little cheesy and happy even for the Muppets. But then after three or four listens I fell in love and it's been stuck in my head ever since. It grows on you, is what I'm saying, and that's not accounted for in the scoring process. Whereas Man or Muppet has a sort of surprising brilliance about it, especially as it's presented in the movie.

But, whatever, enough analyzing. Time to root on Man or Muppet!! Muppet Oscar! Muppet Oscar! Let's go, Muppet Oscar! :grouchy:

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Only two songs...well at least they picked a good one...I'd rather see this win than life's a happy song anyways.

Reaction score
Not a single one of the Golden Globe nominees for Best original song made it onto the Oscar list. The bare minimum is 2 and The Muppets made it in.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Looked at the other nominations.

Pixar so got snubbed. But then again, I agree that they should have. This was definitely the year they'd sit it out.

zoebell

Reaction score
apparently, according to the new oscar song rules from a few years ago, a song has to be scored on a scale of 1-10 to be nominated. and it has to have an average of at least 8.25 to get in

if no movie gets a score that high then there's no nominees that year. if only one movie gets that high then the next highest score is allowed in.

so obviously that's what happened here, and clearly man or muppet already won this category going in.

but if you ask me that's a seriously screwed up system. i mean, this was a better than average year for songs in movies, and almost NONE of them were good enough to be nominated? that's ridiculous. they need to rehaul that category again

personally, i thought life's a happy song AND pictures in my head were better than man or muppet. and i'm sort of disappointed because jason segel is going to be the one who performs this, right? and walter i guess. but the other muppets won't even get to be there

panmanthe2nd

Reaction score
It's great that it's nominated! It would be excellent if it does win, but even if it doesn't a Oscar nomination seems to help DVD sales a bit. And better DVD sales means more hope of Disney doing other Muppet stuff.