Uh...that's WHAT,Telly?

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
For the record I haven't seen this episode and in the context of the show I may have a different opinion, but based on what the OP said - I don't think I have a problem with the word lame being used (although I agree, that doesn't seem like something Telly would say anyway), I'm more discouraged that Sesame Street would have a character -human or Muppet - say something derogative about someone else or someone else's ideas. Meaning that Telly thought so little of Chris' interpretation that he felt he needed to insult him. That to me seems the opposite of Sesame Street's overall message of acceptance and harmony among everybody who lives on the Street. Now if Oscar had said it I probably would have laughed.

But overall I don't have an objection to using slang on kid's shows, especially Sesame Street. Often slang is cultural and therefore more representative to real life. I'm pretty sure I can recall David saying things like "jive", "hip" or maybe even Roosevelt Franklin. As long as the word isn't a curse word or offensive (of course that's subjective), I'm ok with it.

Katzi428

Reaction score
I never hear the word lame used as anything else, actually. I know the original archaic definition of the word points to one thing, but society has abandoned that word for that purpose and has given it a new one.

Like the term "lame duck," used for politicians (and sessions with said politicians) who are finishing up their last term.

I don't know if there are that many words Telly could have used to have expressed that exact sentiment in the vernacular or without coming to a more complicated word that would go over kids's heads. Sucks and crap are right out. While sucks is used in a lot of cartoons (2k3 TMNT, Pepper Ann, Johnny Test among others), crap is somehow considered a swear (a mild one) for some reason, even though it's a substitute word (and it was used in Hey Arnold once). Stinks probably would have worked too... I don't think it's that out of character for Telly to say "that's lame" in that context.

And for all we know, the puppeteers could make these guys say something a lot worse after a series of frustrating takes. :fishy:
I've always known lame as stupid.
OK...OK....putting up my hands in defeat you win! Although with the "that sucks" thing one of my younger siblings had a teacher that didn't like when kids said "That sucks." in her class.

Drtooth

Reaction score
OK...OK....putting up my hands in defeat you win! Although with the "that sucks" thing one of my younger siblings had a teacher that didn't like when kids said "That sucks." in her class.

The problem with the word "sucks" isn't the word itself, it's the word that's associated with it. We know that word, I don't want to bring it up... but I've heard a healthier alternative in "Sucks eggs." Heard that once on Histeria! I don't think they'd use that in Sesame Street, though.

Katzi428

Reaction score
For the record I haven't seen this episode and in the context of the show I may have a different opinion, but based on what the OP said - I don't think I have a problem with the word lame being used (although I agree, that doesn't seem like something Telly would say anyway), I'm more discouraged that Sesame Street would have a character -human or Muppet - say something derogative about someone else or someone else's ideas. Meaning that Telly thought so little of Chris' interpretation that he felt he needed to insult him. That to me seems the opposite of Sesame Street's overall message of acceptance and harmony among everybody who lives on the Street. Now if Oscar had said it I probably would have laughed.

But overall I don't have an objection to using slang on kid's shows, especially Sesame Street. Often slang is cultural and therefore more representative to real life. I'm pretty sure I can recall David saying things like "jive", "hip" or maybe even Roosevelt Franklin. As long as the word isn't a curse word or offensive (of course that's subjective), I'm ok with it.
I don't mind slang in the least! And yeah...David and other past characters have used it. I guess I figured that a lot of little kids are like "Monkey See- Monkey Do" But as long as no one has a problem ,then why should I?

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't mind slang in the least! And yeah...David and other past characters have used it. I guess I figured that a lot of little kids are like "Monkey See- Monkey Do" But as long as no one has a problem ,then why should I?
You're right kids are "monkey (hee-hee I first typed mokey) see - monkey do". And that is exactly why I do have a problem with the way the word "lame" was used in this case. I would be quick to correct my young child if he called someone or someone's idea lame. Just as we avoid using the word stupid around here, it's not a bad word per say but it's way too easy to call someone stupid. Does that mean I'm against saying that something (a tv show or a t-shirt) is stupid? Not at all. But once it's introduced as a way to insult then kids will be quick to use it, that's just how kids are.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm more discouraged that Sesame Street would have a character -human or Muppet - say something derogative about someone else or someone else's ideas. Meaning that Telly thought so little of Chris' interpretation that he felt he needed to insult him. That to me seems the opposite of Sesame Street's overall message of acceptance and harmony among everybody who lives on the Street.
Yeah but life won't always be like that. The Peanuts were very aware of this and weren't afraid to show Charlie Brown occasionally being bullied and show how he dealt with it. It made me feel better knowing that a character I admired was also going through the same pain I was yet was persevering.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Now that I remember the context, I'd say Telly wasn't trying to be mean at all. A lot of people who are friendly to each other usually call something lame. It's not so much mocking Chris, but rather saying, it would be pretty lame if all we did was pretend to look like shapes when we can do it. It's not so much bullying as (if anything) gentile teasing. Plus, if you think about it, Chris's assumption that all they'd do something like that could also be taken as an insult to them.

Yeah but life won't always be like that. The Peanuts were very aware of this and weren't afraid to show Charlie Brown occasionally being bullied and show how he dealt with it. It made me feel better knowing that a character I admired was also going through the same pain I was yet was persevering.
I love Charles Schulz, indeed I do. I know about his personal anxieties and all, but somehow, I think his stuff's a little on the mean to his own characters side. But for every kid who was mean, they had something else wrong with them. Lucy is the prime example. She bullies the heck out of Charlie Brown and her own brother Linus, but on the other hand, she gets no respect or love from Schroder, who she's constantly pining over. I don't feel that most of the kids hate Charlie Brown, but they have cliques (I blame Violet... thank frog she's not around much anymore... she's WORSE than Lucy), and they force him out of them. Linus is the most level headed, most intelligent one in the group, but he's got a crutch with his blanket. of course, what also is amazing about good ol' Chuck is he's too blinded by his own inadequacies to notice a lot of the kids do indeed like him (something some of us experienced). And while he's pining away for the Red Haired Girl, Marcie and Peppermint Patty are all but throwing themselves at him. Any other cartoon character would have settled down with either PP or Marcie (I'd go with Marcie... she's like Velma of Scooby-Doo... the type I prefer, actually), but Charlie, for all his short comings that he knows of and what he's capable of still holds out hope for the Red Haired girl. Meanwhile in Garfield, Liz the Veterinarian actually broke down and admitted she does indeed love Jon.

And Snoopy was pure escapism.

The underlying psychological bits of the Peanuts fascinates me.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Now that I remember the context, I'd say Telly wasn't trying to be mean at all. A lot of people who are friendly to each other usually call something lame. It's not so much mocking Chris, but rather saying, it would be pretty lame if all we did was pretend to look like shapes when we can do it. It's not so much bullying as (if anything) gentile teasing. Plus, if you think about it, Chris's assumption that all they'd do something like that could also be taken as an insult to them.
Yeah I get you, there's a different between teasing among friends and actual bullying.

The underlying psychological bits of the Peanuts fascinates me.
Oh I know and you explained it very well btw. :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
(When I was a kid, I read a word in a Judy Blume book that isn't fit for here, & I called my older brother it in a fit of anger.My parents weren't very happy with me. They didn't scream & yell ,but they told me never to say it again.)
Ugh, lol. Sorry you had to go through that. But yeah I mean in general I think that's how far a parent's influence should go. Lay down the law for kids themselves rather than expecting TV shows to always agree with them.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Just to clarify, "lame" can be used as a slang term, but not always. If you say "lame" to mean "lacking in desirable substance" that is not slang.

But if we are talking about slang, I do think it's a shame Roosevelt Franklin got the boot in part because of the slang he used. I didn't grow up with him but from what I've heard on MC Radio he was a very inspirational character.