Uh...that's WHAT,Telly?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah it was a little nasty for Telly I think.
It can be considered a little snotty. But I hesitate to put a muzzle on kid's shows because ultimately that's what ruins them. It's the parent's job to tell their own kids "Don't say that. It will hurt someone's feelings. And if you do, you will be punished."

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
It can be considered a little snotty. But I hesitate to put a muzzle on kid's shows because ultimately that's what ruins them. It's the parent's job to tell their own kids "Don't say that. It will hurt someone's feelings. And if you do, you will be punished."
That's very true! I'm just saying Telly isn't mean. A good episode that showed it was Baby Talk on Dinosaurs. Baby hears a swear word on TV (smoo), and keeps repeating it. Unforunately Fran and Earl don't find it nearly as funny as he does. In the end Earl (of course) eliminates Free Speech, and realizes if he took responsibility for his son's words none of it would have happened.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
That's very true! I'm just saying Telly isn't mean. A good episode that showed it was Baby Talk on Dinosaurs. Baby hears a swear word on TV (smoo), and keeps repeating it. Unforunately Fran and Earl don't find it nearly as funny as he does. In the end Earl (of course) eliminates Free Speech, and realizes if he took responsibility for his son's words none of it would have happened.
I've seen that on quite a few TV shows. Someone repeats a word they don't know the meaning to. And then instead of explaning that it's wrong (because people are incapable of actually doing that now) everyone freaks out about it.

I'm of kinda the idea that you have, That Telly isn't like that. Tt's not so much of censoring the show, saying "you can't use this word" it's more of the idea of someone saying "This is kind of jumping the shark for Telly isn't it?" But then Heralde says they could see current Telly saying it these days so I don't know. I more familiar with the older Telly.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I've seen that on quite a few TV shows. Someone repeats a word they don't know the meaning to. And then instead of explaning that it's wrong (because people are incapable of actually doing that now) everyone freaks out about it.

I'm of kinda the idea that you have, That Telly isn't like that. Tt's not so much of censoring the show, saying "you can't use this word" it's more of the idea of someone saying "This is kind of jumping the shark for Telly isn't it?" But then Heralde says they could see current Telly saying it these days so I don't know. I more familiar with the older Telly.
I love the older Telly more mysef. I was watching a video online with him and Oscar watching movies together called Sing Yourself Sillier at the Movies. Telly is golden in that one, and Oscar keeps giving every movie 5 phooeys! That's classic Telly Monster!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I love the older Telly more mysef. I was watching a video online with him and Oscar watching movies together called Sing Yourself Sillier at the Movies. Telly is golden in that one, and Oscar keeps giving every movie 5 phooeys! That's classic Telly Monster!
Yeah I did think Telly was a very intriguing character when he was Oscar's suffering sidekick, lol. Nowadays the characters on Sesame Street are pretty much just happy all the time and not much else. It goes back to the '90s when they tried to be like Barney.

Princeton

Reaction score
The only other show I remember doing that was Recess (the word was 'whomp').

Katzi428

Reaction score
I'm sorry Kath, but I have to disagree with you for once.

I mean, I know what you're saying, and you're right, that actually is the actual defintion of "lame", HOWEVER, the term "lame" is one of the MANY words in our vocabulary that has been taken out of context in recent times (like "literally", "epic", "ultimate", even "gay", etc)... the fact of the matter is, people don't even actually use the term "lame" to describe a person with a bad leg anymore, they're usually refered to now as "handicap" or "diabled", wheras "lame" is used to describe something that's pathetic, mediocre, lack-lusting, unimpressive, etc.

Again, it's all a matter of the context the word is used in.
You're right J..I'm sure that "lame " is hardly ever used for a bad leg anymore.It's more used for "pathetic" ,"mediocre" etc.
Oh you're right too, heralde! I wouldn't want SS muzzled just because of 1 word. It's not like one of the characters used a REALLY nasty word. I'm not a parent, but I am a concerned aunt whose nephew still watches S.S. and is still learning right from wrong on certain things.
(When I was a kid, I read a word in a Judy Blume book that isn't fit for here, & I called my older brother it in a fit of anger.My parents weren't very happy with me. They didn't scream & yell ,but they told me never to say it again.)

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm sorry Kath, but I have to disagree with you for once.

I mean, I know what you're saying, and you're right, that actually is the actual defintion of "lame", HOWEVER, the term "lame" is one of the MANY words in our vocabulary that has been taken out of context in recent times (like "literally", "epic", "ultimate", even "gay", etc)... the fact of the matter is, people don't even actually use the term "lame" to describe a person with a bad leg anymore, they're usually refered to now as "handicap" or "diabled", wheras "lame" is used to describe something that's pathetic, mediocre, lack-lusting, unimpressive, etc.

Again, it's all a matter of the context the word is used in.
Actually according to the Merriam Webster dictionary, one of lame's definitions is "lacking needful or desirable substance." And that's not even the slang definition, so that's not out of context at all.
I never hear the word lame used as anything else, actually. I know the original archaic definition of the word points to one thing, but society has abandoned that word for that purpose and has given it a new one.

Like the term "lame duck," used for politicians (and sessions with said politicians) who are finishing up their last term.

I don't know if there are that many words Telly could have used to have expressed that exact sentiment in the vernacular or without coming to a more complicated word that would go over kids's heads. Sucks and crap are right out. While sucks is used in a lot of cartoons (2k3 TMNT, Pepper Ann, Johnny Test among others), crap is somehow considered a swear (a mild one) for some reason, even though it's a substitute word (and it was used in Hey Arnold once). Stinks probably would have worked too... I don't think it's that out of character for Telly to say "that's lame" in that context.

And for all we know, the puppeteers could make these guys say something a lot worse after a series of frustrating takes. :fishy:

mo

Reaction score
I've always known lame as stupid.