The Muppets is now the top-grossing Muppet movie

zoebell

Reaction score
they underestimated it a bit, it actually made 1.3 million over the weekend

i think maybe it can squeeze out a final gross higher than GMC when all is said and done

zoebell

Reaction score
i think it will make another million plus this weekend because it's a 4-day holiday weekend and no new family films are out (except Beauty and the Beast). we'll see

Puppet crazy

Reaction score
I don't understand why it wasn't released same time internationally. I think they would have done even better. Some people in UK will be able to order it on DVD at almost the same time it comes out to theaters, which would loose some ticket sales.

I also think that if they had more merchandise it would sell very well. So many children are shopping at their local stores for Muppet plush toys. Unfortunately there's nothing available there!

zoebell

Reaction score
i'm also curious as to why they're releasing it so slowly overseas. it seems strange to me that they would think it has limited international appeal when the muppets were so world famous

i'm sure it's going to do well internationally. anyway, it will end up over 150 million worldwide, which is a very successful movie on a 45 million budget

goldenstate5

Reaction score
Seems like Disney has stopped tracking it daily, so we'll probably start seeing results for domestic weekly now.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't understand why it wasn't released same time internationally. I think they would have done even better. Some people in UK will be able to order it on DVD at almost the same time it comes out to theaters, which would loose some ticket sales.
I can't pretend to know what's going on... but I'd wager that they were waiting for a more strategic time in parts of Europe to release the film. I'd guess that Chipmunks, Sherlock Holmes and MI4 were released about the same time internationally... I think they got TinTin sometime in November... Disney wants to avoid a huge box office competition overseas. It barely got away clean in this country with 3 other kid's films and that idiotic vampire thing within the week of its release. It beat all of them except that vampire crap.

patchlion

Reaction score
Hi All,

"The Muppets" has officially hit the $100 million mark according to Box Office Mojo!
Great news muppet Fans!
Domestic takings $86,640,000
Foreign takings $15,000,000

The film has had a massive response in Australia (where I am) The film was released last week (12th January) and over the past 5 days has already taken $2,517,575! and is number three overall in box office takings!

I was at the film on Sunday and the theatre and it was full of young and old which was great to see! . . I overheard one of the theatre assistance say to a customer that "The Muppets" has had most sessions filled and has been one of the most anticipated films of the year!

YAAAAYYYYY!!!