Romney wants ads during Sesame Street

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just saw this...

Romney wants ads during 'Sesame Street'
Republican presidential hopeful says he'll cut off funding for PBS

It's safe to say that none of the Republican candidates for president are quite as enamored with public funding for the arts as the Democrats are, but Mitt Romney was making it an issue Wednesday, claiming he'll even cut off PBS.

To be sure, Big Bird and the rest of the "Sesame Street" Muppets probably aren't endangered. They'll just have to go commercial, if Romney gets his way.

In order to balance the budget, Romney told supporters in Iowa Wednesday, he'll "stop certain programs."

"Close them. Turn 'em off. Even some you like," he said. "You might say, 'I like the National Endowment for the Arts.' I do," Romney said. "I like PBS. We subsidize PBS. Look, I'm going to stop that. I'm going to say that PBS is going to have to have advertisments."

"We're not going to kill Big Bird," Romney said. "But Big Bird is going to have advertisments. All right?"

"I happen to think it's immoral for us to keep spending money we don't have, and passing on to our kids our obligations," Romney told supporters at Homer's Deli in Clinton, Iowa. "My test is, is a program so critical that it's worth borrowing money from China to pay for it."

The Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which delivers a portion of the funding for PBS and other public-broadcasting entities, spent $422 million in 2010 while the NEA has given more than $4 billion in grants since it was created in 1965.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45815754/ns/today-entertainment/

Drtooth

Reaction score
Despicable isn't even the word. The money these sleezeballs are bound to spend enough money on garbage attack ads to fund PBS, pledge drive free for the next 50 years. The Neo-Cons are serious about destroying PBS, and this is a dreadful warning of what they can do... all the while giving several times that much in tax payer money to bribe the oil companies to create jobs they aren't creating.

No taxes for the hyper wealthy that profit from our pain and suffering and wars... nope! Once again, it comes off the arts and PBS that get literally a hay penny per person.

Romney is a disgusting oil slick. And he's the best of the bunch. Same ol' Republicans coming back in... thanks for nothing! Oh, and try not to be total wads when you're forcibly invading Iran. Who am I kidding? You will be. 2001-2007 all over again.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The last thing the show needs is less time for each episode.
Yeah! Why isn't that group I'm always complaining about, Commercial Free Childhood, jumping at these guys?

PBS is in dire straights, and they're ALWAYS the first to look at when the Reps want to pretend to cut fat, fat they'll use for more cheap political point wars or payola to big fat blobby industry that wants to move to all the countries we owe money to so they can get an even fatter payout. I swear they're starting to run actual informercials now during pledge month. They had some woman selling anti-aging cream or something. It's bad enough they were selling Yoga for Seniors and get rich quick schemes...

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Wow, for someone who is saying that they're not going to kill Big Bird, they're making a pretty poor argument for the public to endorse. :wisdom:

Puckrox

Reaction score
My teacher told me about this over facebook the other day. It's just... disgusting. I never planned on voting for Romney, but I now dislike him greatly whereas before I couldn't have cared less about him.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wow, for someone who is saying that they're not going to kill Big Bird, they're making a pretty poor argument for the public to endorse. :wisdom:
He's pandering and postulating to the Tea Party a fringe group that accounts for less than 20% of Americans, all corporately funded by Fox News and the Koch Brothers, hat believes that government shouldn't do anything, unless it's giving huge payouts and corporate welfare to the big businesses that fund the Tea Party and the Republican Candidates.

PBS was always on the Neo-Con hit list because it takes small amounts of government cash without buying up a bunch of candidates, all the while having a supposed liberal slant on the news. Yeah... I kinda watched Washington Week and the MacLaughlin group a couple times to see the right wing commentators drown out the wimpy left wing ones, so yeah... that's bull. of course, when Tucker Carlson had a show, is it any surprise that the ratings were so low because you can get that kind of opinion on basically EVERYTHING out there?

Still, I can't wait to see liberals whine about how Obama failed them, and have them flock to an unelectable third party pie in the sky candidate and then have a hissy fit over Romney's policies when he's elected (which, if you listen closely to the debates is the same Neo-Con trickle down, go to war with no funding Reaganomics that keep getting us into more and more trouble).

mbmfrog

Reaction score
He's pandering and postulating to the Tea Party a fringe group that accounts for less than 20% of Americans, all corporately funded by Fox News and the Koch Brothers, hat believes that government shouldn't do anything, unless it's giving huge payouts and corporate welfare to the big businesses that fund the Tea Party and the Republican Candidates.

PBS was always on the Neo-Con hit list because it takes small amounts of government cash without buying up a bunch of candidates, all the while having a supposed liberal slant on the news. Yeah... I kinda watched Washington Week and the MacLaughlin group a couple times to see the right wing commentators drown out the wimpy left wing ones, so yeah... that's bull. of course, when Tucker Carlson had a show, is it any surprise that the ratings were so low because you can get that kind of opinion on basically EVERYTHING out there?

Still, I can't wait to see liberals whine about how Obama failed them, and have them flock to an unelectable third party pie in the sky candidate and then have a hissy fit over Romney's policies when he's elected (which, if you listen closely to the debates is the same Neo-Con trickle down, go to war with no funding Reaganomics that keep getting us into more and more trouble).
I never could understand ways of modern day political mumbo-jumbo. :frown:

But from what I can understand the ways of Republican and the Tea Party feels more like a tight-wad when it comes to saving money. :grouchy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
But from what I can understand the ways of Republican and the Tea Party feels more like a tight-wad when it comes to saving money. :grouchy:
The Tea Party is traditional conservatism, I'll give it that... but modern day Republicans are all Neo-Cons, and it's all about giving money to those that have more than enough of it... I don't want to get into it... but the REAL Tea Party was based off of very angry conservatives, 9/11 truthers and Ron Paul style isolationist/libertarian types that came off of anger from the right of G.W. Bush. It was exploited by the Neo-Cons until it just became a loud, angry, messy, and completely immature Anti-Obama thing. Ron Paul is the closest to some core Tea Party ideals... strangely enough, even some Occupy Wall Street ideals are close to his (except the minimum wage crap... there's NO reason to bring us back to Industrial Revolution US), but the Republican Party wants another Neo-Con in the White House to keep up with the Reagan/Bush SR./Bush Jr. policies of picking fights with random countries to justify high military spending, all the while keeping it underfunded, and yanking out anything that helps the middle and lower middle class out. It's all about short term gains and long term suffering. not saying the Dems are all that much better, but at least Clinton had some of that stuff paid for, even gave us a budget surplus.

We hear all this crap about how angry everyone all the sudden that a Democrat comes into office is about the U.S. debt, which was mainly racked up because they refused to raise taxes on the rich to fund 2 unwinnable wars... most of the money going to no bid contracts to crooked weapons and building companies... not even directly for the troops and actual armor that could protect us. Ever see the rare Disney cartoon where Donald Duck gets a pay check, and a slimey salesman wants him to waste his money gambling, but a Scottish Duck tells him he needs to save so he can pay taxes to fund our soldiers in WW2? Then, it was considered highly patriotic for everyone to give financial support for our troops. Now it's just something Rich people profit off of without having to fund or fight it. That's why the country's in such bad shape. Everyone wants some big "My dad is stronger than your dad" contest, but no one wants to pay for it.