The Muppets is now the top-grossing Muppet movie

Drtooth

Reaction score
I blame the entertainment industry for causing the nonstop price increases and decreases in quality at the theaters where everyone sees these. It's almost as if they WANT to make these things obsolete so they can make cheap movies that make up their budgets through digital downloads. Because, as I said, why bother going to a nice theater, getting an audience reaction, seeing everything loudly on a large screen when you can watch a film the way it was meant to be seen, on something smaller than a postcard on your way to work like it's almost a chore?

I especially love how they pegged 3-D as the thing that would save the movies, only to get greedy and hike up prices after Avatar, effectively losing that audience. No one likes 3-D anymore, and it was on the way out before it even hit the 2 year mark.

And who wants to bet that the theaters will respond to the low ticket sales by raising prices up again. That are be am to is SMART! After all, we are in a recession... and we all know that recession means when companies post record profits, yet refuse to hire anyone or expand operations as it would cut into the inbread CEOs' obscene pay blobs.

I take pride in the fact I see most of my movies at smaller, family owned, indie theaters that show the same first run movies They're cheaper, if you can believe it. I saw the Muppets for 5 bucks! No trickery, no coupons... just a weekday matinee. I wish I saw it more than once, and for that much I should have, but stuff kept coming up.

beaker

Reaction score
I blame the entertainment industry for causing the nonstop price increases and decreases in quality at the theaters where everyone sees these. It's almost as if they WANT to make these things obsolete so they can make cheap movies that make up their budgets through digital downloads. Because, as I said, why bother going to a nice theater, getting an audience reaction, seeing everything loudly on a large screen when you can watch a film the way it was meant to be seen, on something smaller than a postcard on your way to work like it's almost a chore?

I especially love how they pegged 3-D as the thing that would save the movies, only to get greedy and hike up prices after Avatar, effectively losing that audience. No one likes 3-D anymore, and it was on the way out before it even hit the 2 year mark.

And who wants to bet that the theaters will respond to the low ticket sales by raising prices up again. That are be am to is SMART! After all, we are in a recession... and we all know that recession means when companies post record profits, yet refuse to hire anyone or expand operations as it would cut into the inbread CEOs' obscene pay blobs.

I take pride in the fact I see most of my movies at smaller, family owned, indie theaters that show the same first run movies They're cheaper, if you can believe it. I saw the Muppets for 5 bucks! No trickery, no coupons... just a weekday matinee. I wish I saw it more than once, and for that much I should have, but stuff kept coming up.
Every single movie theater in northern california(least the dozens around here), has $5 Tuesday and many have $5 first showing every day. On $5 tuesdays and first showings daily, 3d films are $8. The second run $1 theaters are all gone, used to be several in the 90's. Though we now have one, that's a $3.50 theater that mostly shows family movies by the time they hit the home market. Now, $5 movies...that's like mid 90's matinee prices! So in a way, movies are cheaper than ever if you know when to go. But sometimes it's good to go to the movies at night with friends

zoebell

Reaction score
it made another million yesterday, so it's having a good week so far

Drtooth

Reaction score
Every single movie theater in northern california(least the dozens around here), has $5 Tuesday and many have $5 first showing every day. On $5 tuesdays and first showings daily, 3d films are $8. The second run $1 theaters are all gone, used to be several in the 90's. Though we now have one, that's a $3.50 theater that mostly shows family movies by the time they hit the home market. Now, $5 movies...that's like mid 90's matinee prices! So in a way, movies are cheaper than ever if you know when to go. But sometimes it's good to go to the movies at night with friends
It's almost like, what the HECK?! Everyone's complaining about how expensive movies are, but it's like they're too dang proud to see them at a matinee. There's no fun waiting until the home video and digital download. I mean, by then, everyone you know saw it, tells you how it ends... and then everyone wonders why they don't enjoy those movies when they see them at home with 3 other people at most pausing every 2 minutes to use the bathroom or pick up a phone. Seriously.. suck it up, call in a sick day, see a matinee. Walking out of the theater to sunlight doesn't hurt that bad.

it made another million yesterday, so it's having a good week so far
I really wish it made 80 Mil by now, it might just slowly, gradually get to that by the time it completely disappears from theaters. I hate this, but Disney movies always do their best on home video. The film's already a moderate success, and it made more in its 2 opening weeks than Chipmunks did... unless it hits hard Christmas Break, I doubt it's going to make all that much. Ross Jr. will wind up suing someone, and they won't make a fourth one.

Teheheman

Reaction score
The question that I have is, and I haven't read all the post, so I don't know but I wanna know is that is the whole "top grossing Muppet movie" thing adjusted for the times? Cause if you put the ticket sales from the other movies to today, would it be more or less? I don't know what they call it, I know it's called something, and I've heard it being said about past movies being top grossing movies.

Daniel

Drtooth

Reaction score
The question that I have is, and I haven't read all the post, so I don't know but I wanna know is that is the whole "top grossing Muppet movie" thing adjusted for the times? Cause if you put the ticket sales from the other movies to today, would it be more or less? I don't know what they call it, I know it's called something, and I've heard it being said about past movies being top grossing movies.

Daniel
I already said that and Muppet Wiki already crunched those numbers. So technically, it's only the third highest grossing Muppet Movie. if it ONLY made it to 90, it would be the second highest.

Unless you crunch those numbers, it IS the highest grossing. Even then, it did better than ALL the current theatrically released movies, and better than MTM. That is nothing to sneeze at. Hopefully Disney understands this wasn't destined for Toy Story money.

goldenstate5

Reaction score
Yes, it's less, but in the end it will be for only one movie: The Muppet Movie, which sold probably twice as many. It's the only one of the theatrically released crop that could be considered "blockbuster" status.

The box office has rejuvenated, but basically to the point where it should have been last week. "The Muppets", thanks to Arthur Christmas literally being pulled out of theaters, is enjoying some sloppy seconds. It'll easily make 80 mil now, and has a small chance of going into the late 80's. (a very small chance) But beyond that, it should be retiring.

I still maintain that it'll be a huge hit on DVD/Blu-Ray.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yes, it's less, but in the end it will be for only one movie: The Muppet Movie, which sold probably twice as many. It's the only one of the theatrically released crop that could be considered "blockbuster" status.
Great Muppet Caper pulled in over 89 million... unless The Muppets continues to make a lot of money, I highly doubt it will beat that. It might just be close... but even at 80 mil, it beat MTM and everything beyond. It already beat the other Disney released Muppet films (MCC and MTI)... and MCC managed to have a follow up movie at only 52 mil. And MTI did slightly better too.

The box office has rejuvenated, but basically to the point where it should have been last week. "The Muppets", thanks to Arthur Christmas literally being pulled out of theaters, is enjoying some sloppy seconds. It'll easily make 80 mil now, and has a small chance of going into the late 80's. (a very small chance) But beyond that, it should be retiring.
Arthur Christmas had an unfortunate bump being a Christmas movie the last week or so. Seems people are actually discovering Hugo much later on than the film needed, but The Muppets is doing well for itself, considering it's been out over a month and seemed to disappear from most theaters. Of course, I know places that just stopped running Puss in Boots, and that came out last week of October.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
I saw The Muppets for the fifth time at the King of Prussia Imax this past Sunday, and let me tell you it was packed. I actually got there 15 min late, but thanks to long previews and the Toy Story short I didn't miss a second of the film. Unfortunately, I didn't have many seating options, so I had to sit right up front and on the far left, not the best place to sit. Still, after about 20 min I forgot about the uncomfortable seating and just enjoyed the film. It must still be pulling a crowd at the box office, considering I saw the 3:45 pm showing and it was still packed. I've never seen any movie this many times in theaters, but then again it's also a relatively short movie. I think it still has yet to be released in some other countries, so we'll have to wait for the international release to see the final numbers.

zoebell

Reaction score
yay, another million yesterday. almost the exact amount as tuesday, so it will hit 80 by the weekend