What's in store for the Muppets in 2012 article

Drtooth

Reaction score
Holy crap! It got 2 million in 2 days! That's just under a million more than it made over the weekend. Maybe the winter vacation where it's still playing might just jog this thing up a little more.

mjb1124

Reaction score
Box Office Mojo has posted the Wednesday numbers. And although sales are down from Monday and Tuesday, they still were increased from the previous week, and the movie managed to rise in the rankings from #9 to #8. So the gang is still holding its own in spite of dropping theater counts - methinks the theaters that kept The Muppets will benefit from those that didn't.

Reevz1977

Reaction score
Box Office Mojo has posted the Wednesday numbers. And although sales are down from Monday and Tuesday, they still were increased from the previous week, and the movie managed to rise in the rankings from #9 to #8. So the gang is still holding its own in spite of dropping theater counts - methinks the theaters that kept The Muppets will benefit from those that didn't.
AWESOME!!

zoebell

Reaction score
actually, i think that number for yesterday is pretty good. it's having a much better week than last week, which shows that the holiday break is starting to benefit it. it's right up there with arthur christmas (which i expected to increase because it's the only movie directly related to christmas out there)

i would expect it to have a pretty good weekend coming up, despite the theater loss. people obviously want to see it, so they'll go to the ones that have it. i'm gonna bet it makes at least as much as last weekend, if not more, like 4-5 million. and then that it hangs on until the end of the year with the same steadiness, because that tends to happen with a lot of movies during christmas/new years. so it's definitely going to finish up with over 80 mil

goldenstate5

Reaction score
4-5 million is a little high. Expect it to stay flat around 3 million. With 73 million by Thursday, the film will reach 76-77 million over the weekend, and probably reach 80 by NYD. After that... it's a slow crawl to wherever it winds up. Most likely 82 million, which probably falls into Disney's estimates.

Chipmunks, by the way, is doing embarrassing numbers. It's going to barely get to 100 million. If it falls into the double digits (like it might), that's an even better sign towards Disney about box office fatigue and how it punctured Muppets. It's already made 7 million overseas, and has not even opened in prime areas yet. Over in the UK it should be a huge hit. It would be awesome if it amassed 100+ million overseas.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Chipmunks, by the way, is doing embarrassing numbers. It's going to barely get to 100 million. If it falls into the double digits (like it might), that's an even better sign towards Disney about box office fatigue and how it punctured Muppets. It's already made 7 million overseas, and has not even opened in prime areas yet. Over in the UK it should be a huge hit. It would be awesome if it amassed 100+ million overseas.
I'm sure Chipmunks will pick up once the holiday break is out of holidays and full of days where the kids already broke/got bored with all their toys. That's where it's destined to make its money. Still, I wonder if a lot of adults were as annoyed with how the sequel turned out as I was and wanted to avoid movie 3 at all costs. Of course, it's the only new big name family movie that appeals to younger kids out. I don't know if young kids will go for TinTin... that seems like something more like 7 and up if anything. All of the other movies are in direct competition with each other, but Chipmunks is made for a special audience that's too young to see MI4, Sherlock Holmes, and all that other stuff. And I really don't expect anything of We bought a Zoo.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
All I can say is I would just love to see a new Muppet show on television. Even though I wasn't born when The Muppet Show was first on television back in the mid late 1970s, but from my knowledge, it had about 200 million something viewers a week. But I remember when The Muppet Show was on Nickelodeon back in the early 1990s. And when Muppets Tonight came out, that was a big deal for me. It was so exciting seeing the show when it was out and trying to video tape every episode I've seen on ABC and The Disney Channel. I remember my mother paid extra for The Disney Channel so I can see Muppets Tonight. That was a great show.

If there was a new Muppet Show that was as funny and edgy as The Muppet Show and Muppets Tonight, I would be very happy. I just loved how much adult humor there was in The Muppet Show and Muppets Tonight, From Lola the Fan Dancer to Sal throwing a bikini on someone's dryer and asking if he wears that on the beach. Then he gets thrown and locked into the dryer afterwords. LOL All that stuff that was totally over my head as a kid and totally getting all the rest of the jokes as an adult, I believe that's one of the greatest things about The Muppets. Is when your a fan since you were a kid and as you grow, you get all the adult jokes and stuff and enjoy them in your current age.

Part of me was thinking for weeks, what if Disney tried to revive The Muppet Show. Personally I would rather see a new version of The Muppet Show instead of a continuing season because That was Jim's show, and no one could do it as well as Jim.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Part of me was thinking for weeks, what if Disney tried to revive The Muppet Show. Personally I would rather see a new version of The Muppet Show instead of a continuing season because That was Jim's show, and no one could do it as well as Jim.
I'd say it's more Jim, Jerry Juhl, and every writer the series had's show... but Jim felt the show went as far as it could go, ended it at the height of its popularity and left us wanting more. That's why none of the Muppet Movies were direct sequels of each other (though VMX and The Muppets had loose connections). Jim was always looking forward, that's the visionary he was. Why do you think he tried a more experimental Jim Henson Hour instead of crawling back to the comfort of a retread of the Muppet Show? Too bad JHH never stuck... I think I liked the concept of them being in a television control central rather than a vaudeville stage show better... it seemed more essentially Jim to me... it embraced television and what it was about.

Need I even bother saying that Roger Langridge not only managed to capture the spirit of The Muppet Show, but also improved upon it as well. If you haven't checked out the comics already, you've missed out completely. Other than that, I'm at a loss to say I want a retread of the Muppet Show... it would try too hard to be like the first one and either lose something in translation, or get something so perfect there's nothing new about it. I want something that's the strongest concepts of TMS, JHH, and Muppets Tonight, but something uniquely itself.

BTW... Passed the 80 million mark today.

beaker

Reaction score
I'd say it's more Jim, Jerry Juhl, and every writer the series had's show... but Jim felt the show went as far as it could go, ended it at the height of its popularity and left us wanting more. That's why none of the Muppet Movies were direct sequels of each other (though VMX and The Muppets had loose connections). Jim was always looking forward, that's the visionary he was. Why do you think he tried a more experimental Jim Henson Hour instead of crawling back to the comfort of a retread of the Muppet Show? Too bad JHH never stuck... I think I liked the concept of them being in a television control central rather than a vaudeville stage show better... it seemed more essentially Jim to me... it embraced television and what it was about.

Need I even bother saying that Roger Langridge not only managed to capture the spirit of The Muppet Show, but also improved upon it as well. If you haven't checked out the comics already, you've missed out completely. Other than that, I'm at a loss to say I want a retread of the Muppet Show... it would try too hard to be like the first one and either lose something in translation, or get something so perfect there's nothing new about it. I want something that's the strongest concepts of TMS, JHH, and Muppets Tonight, but something uniquely itself.

BTW... Passed the 80 million mark today.
Im one of those heretic Muppet fans that likes Muppet Television(JHH) as much as the original Muppet Show. While I was young enough to remember original run syndication TMS in the late 70's/early 80's, it was JHH that really made an impact on me since I was 11 when that aired. It seemed like Jim was most visionary in the late 60's through early 80's...Cube, Dark Crystal, and so much other stuff. But I truly feel my fave Muppet period is 84-90. I just LOVE Muppet Babies, 30th anniversary special, JHH, MFC, M@WDW, JHH, Muppets On Cosby Show(Cliff's Nightmare), Dont Eat The Pictures(Sesame Street telefilm), Follow That Bird, Tales of the Bunny Picnic, Muppet Magazine, The Muppets Take Manhattan, final season of Fraggle Rock. It was truly an amazing time to be a Muppet fan.

80's Sesame Street=AMAZING. I mean it's allll about Forgetful Jones and the Martian Yip Yips.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's so depressing Jim died when that decade came to a close. Some of the best Muppet work came out in the 80's. I've always treasured 80's Sesame Street, even over the 1970's episodes... we had Fraggle Rock and that needs no explanation... I really do love the concept of Jim Henson Hour. Too bad that didn't get the boost of syndication that The Muppet Show enjoyed. There was just so many amazing advancements in Henson at that time, and we got a lot of great experimental stuff out of it. Too bad it's like they tried to forget JHH ever existed. I'd love to see Digit come back as a background character or something.