Topless Robot's 5 Best & 5 Worst Muppet Movie Moments

Puckrox

Reaction score
I agree with everyhting on their Best Moments list, but their Worst Moments list... eh, mostly everything. Honestly I've never been a huge fan of "Never Before, Never Again" (although I always get giggly when listening to it because I like to imagine Frank recording it). However, "I'm Gonna Always Love You" should not be on this list! The guy writing this article obviously doesn't know that none of the Muppet movies are canon, so it's in fact not messing around with the Muppets' origins. Plus how could you put something so adorable on a worst list? Honestly, nothing beats watching baby Rowlf bang away on his piano. Or baby Gonzo being, well, baby Gonzo.

matleo

Reaction score
I would argue a lot of this 'article'. I mean ultimately it's all subjective, but when I think of Muppet movies, I wouldn't even put VMX, Oz, or Kermit's Swamp years in the same category. One reason is, obviosuly, they're tv movies or direc-to DVD release, but also because most of the other projects are so head and shoulders above them, there's no room for comparison. I also don't know if you can count a 'trailer' as a moment within the film?

But if you're talking about the best muppet moments, where's the finale to The Muppet Movie? Happiness Hotel? The rat sequence in MTM? Anything Jerry Nelson does in Christmas Carol? Cabin Fever?

As for worst, how about Kevin Bishop singing? Polly Lobster? and Muppets From Space isn't on that list nearly enough!! The author briefly mentions Hulk Hogan's cameo, but what about the Dawson's Creek appearance which took me so far out of the film, I wish I hadn't come back? I would almost agree to putting the MB sequence on the list not so much because it was a bad moment (it actually isn't. the song is catchy and the puppet design and look of it is neat. I also still can't figure out how Baby Rowlf does that head stand.) but I do think the series that followed became kind of a ugly stepsister the franchise which made the characters a little too 2-dimensional and nowhere near the quality of what we were used to.

Finally if we're going to allow cameos on these lists how about mentioning the brilliant and hilarious work of Mel Brooks? Steve Martin? Gregory Hines? Peter Falk? James Coco? John Cleese? Art Carney? Billy Connolly? and the always wonderful Jennifer Saunders?

Scooterforever

Reaction score
MTM was my least favorite of the 3 original films (I can't decide b/t TMM and GMC, they're both great), but I thought the "Muppet Babies" scene was the highlight of the film, and certainly doesn't belong on the list of worst Muppet moments. Also, as Matleo pointed out, too many of these "Muppet Moments" are just songs, so it might as well have just been a 5 best and 5 worst Muppet movie songs list. I'm a regular TR reader, but the people at TR tend to be a little nitpicky and negative, not to mention their grammar/ spellchecking skills are lacking. Even the editor/ head writer makes a plethora of grammatical and spelling errors in each article. They should hire me, I'm an English major after all:sigh:.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
Really? I just love that movie and I don't think anything can top that for number one on my list
To each his own. I just thought TMM and GMT were more captivating b/c they both had a central villain to drive the plot.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
To each his own. I just thought TMM and GMT were more captivating b/c they both had a central villain to drive the plot.
I guess that's true too, but I feel the whole point of GMC is bec. of the Heist scene. Everything else is just a lead up to that

terrimonster

Reaction score
MTM was my least favorite of the 3 original films (I can't decide b/t TMM and GMC, they're both great), but I thought the "Muppet Babies" scene was the highlight of the film, and certainly doesn't belong on the list of worst Muppet moments. Also, as Matleo pointed out, too many of these "Muppet Moments" are just songs, so it might as well have just been a 5 best and 5 worst Muppet movie songs list. I'm a regular TR reader, but the people at TR tend to be a little nitpicky and negative, not to mention their grammar/ spellchecking skills are lacking. Even the editor/ head writer makes a plethora of grammatical and spelling errors in each article. They should hire me, I'm an English major after all:sigh:.
I know I would provoke ire within the MC community by saying this, but when it comes to which film I'd rather sit down and watch I prefer GMC to TMM (slightly), and put MTM slightly below that. But I liked the Muppet Babies bit, and I used "Somebody's Getting Married" to announce my engagement. I've also never been a fan of "Never Before, Never Again." I like the visuals, but the song itself sounds too much like a seriously sappy song for me to hear it as anything else. It's probably the main reason TMM slips below GMC.

I think the article is best if you never continue to page 2.

zoebell

Reaction score
i actually love never before, never again. i thought that whole scene was sweet and funny and the perfect, "love at first sight" moment to establish piggy as head over heels forever for kermit

DarthGonzo

Reaction score
I also still can't figure out how Baby Rowlf does that head stand.
I'm guessing the puppet wasn't being performed from underneath but from behind, making it easy to spin it around for a headstand.