Mid 90's Toons! (Tick, Rockos, Eek the Cat, Critic, Catdog, Family Dog)

beaker

Reaction score
Duuuuuuuuuuuuudeee...how did I not know about this before? This has got to be one of the coolest 90's cartoons Ive discovered. And I didnt even know about it til now.

SPYDOGS!

mr3urious

Reaction score
Here's another show that got the shaft too early: Detention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeOGxm44fiM

Some people say that it's a ripoff of Recess, but Detention's theme about, well, detention, makes it very different. Sadly, this show got cancelled after only 13 episodes simply because it wasn't a ratings monster like Pokémon (see what I did there?), and Kids' WB! never promoted it well enough.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm no fan of Fox's overpromotion of Power Rangers or Kid's WB's overpromotion of Pokemon. I hated that Animaniacs and all the other fun shows were shoved into a half hour block of relentless reruns for it. Though I did like some of the other action shows like the Men in Black series. Liked that one more than the movies, especially the second.

But Let's be honest... Kid's WB was struggling with that TV/EI stuff. They had some very smart shows like Histeria and Channel Umptee-3, but they didn't get the monster ratings they wanted with them and killed them all quickly. That's why cheap crappy nature shows from decades before is what makes up the FCC lipservice now.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuudeee...how did I not know about this before? This has got to be one of the coolest 90's cartoons Ive discovered. And I didnt even know about it til now.
Seriously. Everything that WASN'T Power Rangers (or trying to get into Pokemon's sweet sweet cashflow those later years) was more fun that the stuff that was making them money. SpyDogs was a million times better than that Cats and Dogs movie that came out years later. They even did a VERY harsh Charlie's Angels parody I rather liked.

beaker

Reaction score
@Dr Tooth: Is there any good forums for fans of these sort of cartoons?
Not just TMNT or Invader Zim, but also all these great Fox Kids cartoons, Disney afternoon, late 90's Disney saturday morning, 90's nick and cartoon network?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Heh... I'm done with every forum except for this one. To be fair, I lost interest in going to one... just didn't care for some of the others I was on. Old cartoons were just "remember when" "Wasn't that a great episode" or "look at my poorly thought out fan fic." Maybe there'd be a rumor there's a movie... then once it was crushed no one cared.

Another one I just rediscovered... 1990's Casper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MveE9jie0AI

I never saw a cartoon reference Edward Gorey before...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5HRlCxCe2M

Xerus

Reaction score
The 90's were my all time favorite decade for cartoons. Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, Darkwing Duck, Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Mother Goose and Grimm, Capital Critters, Fish Police, Eek the Cat, Ren and Stimpy, Freakazoid, Earthworm Jim. And Hanna-Barbera gave cartoonists a chance to create their own unique visions of series like 2 Stupid Dogs, SWAT Kats, and those World Premier Toons that led to Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab, Cow and Chicken, and The Powerpuff Girls. Here's to the 90's!

beaker

Reaction score
The 90's were my all time favorite decade for cartoons. Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, Darkwing Duck, Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Mother Goose and Grimm, Capital Critters, Fish Police, Eek the Cat, Ren and Stimpy, Freakazoid, Earthworm Jim. And Hanna-Barbera gave cartoonists a chance to create their own unique visions of series like 2 Stupid Dogs, SWAT Kats, and those World Premier Toons that led to Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab, Cow and Chicken, and The Powerpuff Girls. Here's to the 90's!
Sweet, another 90's cartoon fan. Again, as much as I have nothing but love for 80's toons, the 90's had the best stuff. I cant stand most modern cartoons on cable

Drtooth

Reaction score
Of course, the 90's also had crappy TMNT wanna be Street Sharks. Brilliant idea for a villain, lousy ideas for everything else. Toys were pretty good, though.

I seriously miss Fox Kids... heck, even Fox Box. But mostly Fox Kids... but, again, OTHER than Power Rangers and those Pokemon-oid shows they had near the end of the network's run.

I'm still trying to find footage from Piggsberg Piggs besides the theme song. And every single episode of Casper... I missed most of the last of that series when they moved it to weekday mornings.

beaker

Reaction score
Pokemon type shows came in the 2000's, not the 1990's. Digimon I think debuted in 2000. I grew up loving costumed kaiju imports like Ultraman, Johnny Socko, Godzilla, etc...but the Power Rangers just didnt do it for me. I kind of liked Kamen Masked Rider a little more.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've grown to not hate Power Rangers and respect its fan base (it's huge) years ago... but Fox's best shows were Eek and Tick and all that other weird stuff. Somehow I remember Digimon coming in 1999, then they just went overkill 2000 to 2002 when the network ended. Sucks the kind of Kid's anime we get over here. I'm ultra thankful for Ultimate Muscle, but to this day, I'm still ticked the show never found a real audience. Kids should have been taking Kid Muscle lunch boxes to school and wearing dMp shirts. I still don't get Beyblade's popularity as a cartoon. Toy, maybe... but cartoon, no.