The Muppets is Brainwashing Our Kids

12Medbe

Reaction score
Let's just pay no attention to Fox News. They're like a school (any kind of school bully) getting fired up at what they do or say just provides them strength to keep doing it and doing it (whatever The Bully does).

Let's just ignore Fox News.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
How about Ben Stein? He's a conservative commentator, surely I'd have problems with that.
Though to be fair, Ben Stein recently said he did not have any problem taxing the rich. He said there's no indication it would hurt the economy to do so, in fact it's been done several times before.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The bad guy's motivated by profit. Are we pretending that didn't happen?

Guys, how can we complain about the right wing media if we're working so hard to say the Muppets would never take a stand on issues like oil or corporate greed?
Guess I saw a different movie. Tex continually expressed a personal distaste for the Muppets throughout the film and he he had no real sense of humor (until being hit in the head during the closing credits) so that was actually his motive. :search:

If there was any green message SHOW ME! I was waiting for it the entire picture!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Guess I saw a different movie. Tex continually expressed a personal distaste for the Muppets throughout the film and he he had no real sense of humor (until being hit in the head during the closing credits) so that was actually his motive. :search:
And the constant references to his being an oil baron was irrelevant? Not to mention the joke that Kermit had been deceived into thinking he's just a wealthy "philanthropist" when he was really going to tear the theater down? Nowadays you can't pick "oil baron" as your bad guy's profession and then say "but it means nothing."

This a Hollywood movie. Again especially nowadays, that community does not label a character "oil baron" unless they mean for it to be a BAD thing. :wink:

The Muppets were clearly picking on corporate greed. Strange how we're trying to deny it...

We Got Us

Reaction score
I think the discussion of whether it's political is completely ridiculous. It's a movie. Ok, he's an oil baron. The point is not that he's in oil or that he wants the oil under the theater, it's that only a very rich man would have the power to put the Muppets out of business. I don't remember Kermit suggesting we tax him or singing an ode to Liberalism. I'm a conservative with extremely conservative family, and no one thought that about the in the three times we watched it. It's just political crap out there to get people steamed. I wish of all things they'd leave the Muppets out of it. Next thing you know the left-wing's gonna choose Pepe the Prawn as their mascot. Bleh :frown:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think the discussion of whether it's political is completely ridiculous. It's a movie.
And movies never make political statements? :wink:

Ok, he's an oil baron. The point is not that he's in oil or that he wants the oil under the theater, it's that only a very rich man would have the power to put the Muppets out of business.
He goes out of his way to say he wants the oil under the theater. And it's a Hollywood movie. They're not going to use that label as a positive thing.

It's ironic. People here are saying they dislike Fox News so much. Yet they're going out of their way to prove the Muppets would never try to be liberal...

We're acting more conservative about this than Fox News ever did!

We Got Us

Reaction score
And movies are never politicial?

Of course he wants the oil, that's his business. And it's a Hollywood movie. They're not going to use that label as a positive thing.

It's ironic. People here are saying they dislike Fox News. Yet they're going out of their way to prove the Muppets would never try to be liberal...
All I'm trying to prove is that Jason Segel/whoever else wrote the story did not mean it as a political cannon. At least, I seriously doubt it. I think they could have a picked any movie and found some way it was Left wing/right wing, evil, brainwashing etc. So I think both Fox News and anyone else that tries to use something completely unrelated to politics as an excuse to make the other political party look like manipulative freaks who target small children with subliminal messaging. And let me rephrase that first part. It's a Muppet movie.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
And the constant references to his being an oil baron was irrelevant? Not to mention the joke that Kermit had been deceived into thinking he's a wealthy "philanthropist" when he was really going to tear the theater down? Nowadays you can't pick "oil baron" and then say "but it means nothing."
B-friggin-S. I'm calling complete Shenanigans on your statement in full.

The rich guy as bad guy is a common plot device used in film and literature for years. You might as well go after The Muppet Movie's Doc Hopper for exposing the evils of franchises and big business, Muppet Christmas Carol for Scrooge being an evil rich guy or how about we go after Muppets From Space for its liberal anti-government message in how a xenophobic secret institution treats an alien Muppet. And should we bring up wealthy, cigar-chomping JP Grosse's treatment of the hard-working vaudevillian cast of the Muppet Show?

The Muppets make fun of everybody and people in power positions often get their comeuppance. This is nothing new in the world of entertainment since before the time of Shakespeare! Any financial motive in the film was employed as a thin plot device. The television executive was more actively driven by profit than Tex. In fact, I actually would have liked to see some sort of anti-corporation/green message actually in the film. Environmentalism was very important to Jim Henson and that theme began saturating much of his work toward the end of his life.

But keep your usual contrarian point of view on the matter. I disagree with it 100%

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The rich guy as bad guy is a common plot device used in film and literature for years.
And that character's motivation is greed. And there's a reason it's so common. Because throughout history the common people have been oppressed by the wealthy.

You might as well go after The Muppet Movie's Doc Hopper for exposing the evils of franchises and big business
I'm not going after it. I'm praising it for exposing such evils. And this movie too.

...Are you going after it?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
And that character's motivation is greed.

I'm not going after it. I'm praising it for doing that. Are you going after it?
Um. Apparently you saw a different "Muppets" movie than I did so I'm going to discontinue my involvement in your comments that make no sense to me other than to argue for the sake of argument. I'll still continue to post here, but please feel free to quote other people, just please not me. Once again your posts seem baseless to me and I feel no need to feed that particular beast. It's pointless. Have a good Christmas.