Sesame Workshop Trying To Have It Both Ways(Bert/Ernie issue)

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Well Mr Noodle's real life passing, like Richard Hunt's passing, was attributed to something some evangelicals call "God's answer to gays". We live in a country where some evangelical Christians denounce Muslims, but both often share similar views that some might find intolerant.
Just to make clear- I don't like when people decide what is and isn't God's judgment. All I can say on natural disasters and disease, etc. is that it happens to everyone and it is the result of the fallen world we live in. I do believe God passes out judgment but He also extends grace and mercy. I personally find it pretty horrible to almost gleefully look at the death of Michael Jeter and Richard Hunt and act like they got the punishment they deserve for being gay. It is sad when anyone dies and I only hope they had true peace with God through Christ- but I certainly don't take pleasure in anyone's death and I don't think Christians or anyone else should. (As God says in Ezekiel 18:23 " 'Do I take any pleasure in the death of the wicked?' declares the Sovereign Lord. 'Rather, am I not pleased when they turn from their ways and live?' " Note that this verse is in the context of the Old Testament when the only way of following God was through obedience to The Law. In the New Testament, we have the death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ to fulfill the requirements of The Law- which sets us free from its penalty for breaking it, but also sets us free to truly live in Christ and obey Him out of love and gratitude.)

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Mormons til 1979(I guess their dogma is whatever the LDS decides) believed blacks were cursed.

All over the world homosexuals, particularly in "Christian" Carribean and African nations(as well as Arab Muslim nations) are hunted down, imprisoned and often killed.
Two quick things here. One, Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses may call themselves Christians, but I would call them cults as they add to God's Word and alter it and do not believe fully in the deity of Jesus Christ. (or at all.) Not saying anyone did, but I would ask that people be careful about lumping all those who claim the name of Christ together- the same as we should with Muslims, Hindus and any other religion or group of people, etc.
Also, and I'm not denying this but curious, what countries have hunted down, imprisoned and killed homosexuals? I have heard of Uganda passing very stringent laws regarding this but I am not sure of any other African nations beyond that and no Carribean nations. Of course, it is kind of unfair to call any country truly "Christian"- of course, I wish everyone in the world knew Christ as Savior, but we can't really say an entire country is necessarily Christian or any other religion. People must be free to choose what they will believe about God.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Also, how can someone not like gay people yet be a Muppet fan? The Muppets are colorful, musical, vaudevillian...I cant think of anything more gay friendly. Some of the most influential Muppet people were gay(Richard Hunt, Kermit Love, and a few others people have speculated on)
Again- and please don't take this the wrong way as I don't want to stereotype anyone and I mean no disrespect or ill-content by it-I'm just curious on this- but why exactly are terms like "colorful, musical and vaudevillian" associated with gays or considered "gay-friendly"? Why is the rainbow associated with homosexuals for that matter? (And while we're at it, why are there so many songs about rainbows? And what's on the other side?:smile:)
Can straight people not also be colorful, musical and vaudevillian?
And I don't really have an issue with people identifying with homosexuality working on Muppet productions and such, like the aforementioned Mr. Hunt. I may not agree with homosexuality, but I still enjoy his work in Muppet productions. Just like I love a lot of Elton John's songs. I mean, there are a lot of actors and musicians, etc. whose personal lives I don't agree with in many mores, but I still appreciate their God-given talent and enjoy their work.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Anyways, let's see Christian groups and leaders embrace "it gets better"...heck even Christian Obama has put his support behind the anti bullying/it gets better campaign. Theres an epidemic of suicide/suicide attempts, harassment, beatings and extreme alienations with gay teens in America.
For the record, as a Christian, I do support anti-bullying efforts. Certainly no one should be bullied for any reason. I definitely don't want to see kids feel and/or get harassed, be alienated, get beat up and attempt suicide and possibly even succeed in that effort. That is incredibly sad to see. And that is definitely wrong- just as wrong as homosexuality and any other sin. Of course, I would tell people it gets eternally better with Jesus because He loves you as you are and He died on the cross to pay for every sin ever committed, or being committed or will be committed. And He rose again to prove He's God. And when we trust Him as Savior, we are rescued from a descent into Hades and instead have an eternal home with Him in Heaven.
As I said earlier, temptation comes to everyone and we all deal with it on some level. But Christ's grace is sufficient for us even in our weakness.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
(As God says in Ezekiel 18:23 " 'Do I take any pleasure in the death of the wicked?' declares the Sovereign Lord. 'Rather, am I not pleased when they turn from their ways and live?' "
I know this isn't exactly what you meant, but can you see that homosexual people would consider it hurtful to be called something like "wicked?" Especially when, like most people, they love their families, adopt small animals and take responsibility in society by holding down a job? :wink:

And can we really be surprised that gay kids are bullied if we teach other kids that what they're doing is "wicked?"

Plus remember that is God passing judgment in that statement. Not a human being. Because it's not up to us to judge others. Just ourselves.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I know this isn't exactly what you meant, but can you see that homosexual people would consider it hurtful to be called something like "wicked?" Especially when, like most people, they love their families, adopt small animals and take responsibility in society by holding down a job? :wink:

And can we really be surprised that gay kids are bullied if we teach other kids that what they're doing is "wicked?"

Plus remember that is God passing judgment in that statement. Not a human being. Because it's not up to us to judge others. Just ourselves.
I imagine anyone would consider it hurtful to be called something like "wicked". However, that is God's call there. And He says that homosexuality is a sin, just as lying is a sin. A perpetual liar also gets bullied with phrases like "liar, liar- pants on fire" (and yes- I know that is nothing compared to the level of bullying gay kids get)- but I was just saying that bullying can happen for a number of reasons.
As I said before, bullying is deplorable and wrong for whatever reason. And it's just as wicked as any other sin. And I'm not calling anyone wicked- but there are some actions and thoughts that God does call wicked and I simply affirm what He says. And if anything, I identify as one of the wicked who still falls and sins and only clings to Jesus' grace shown through His death and Resurrection for forgiveness. And in the verse I quoted, God is not passing judgment- He's entreating those who indulge in sin to repent and turn to Him.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I imagine anyone would consider it hurtful to be called something like "wicked". However, that is God's call there. And He says that homosexuality is a sin, just as lying is a sin.
And again I have to ask, how does my being attracted to men make me a good person?

And in the verse I quoted, God is not passing judgment- He's entreating those who indulge in sin to repent and turn to Him.
Of course he's passing judgment. He's labeling certain actions as wicked; that is a judgment call. And only God is allowed to do it. Not you. You can't just say "I'm simply affirming God's word." There's no loop hole here. :wink: God wants you to worry about your own failings and not point out why you think others are wrong.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Of course he's passing judgment. He's labeling certain actions as wicked; that is a judgment call. And only God is allowed to do it. Not you. You can't just say "I'm simply affirming God's word." There's no loop hole here. :wink: God wants you to worry about your own failings and not point out why you think others are wrong.
Well, if you want to get real technical about it, the whole judgement thing is that only God can say for sure if someone makes it to heaven in the afterlife. If we are not allowed to judge period, saying someones shirt is nice is still judging, and would be a sin.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
My only point is the bible contradicts itself. I'm not a literal believer of the bible :coy: