Early Reports: Looks like Muppets will be #2 (next to Twilight)

goldenstate5

Reaction score
While this is a older franchise it's a restart. These days sequels tend to make more because of interest build by the memory of the previous film. The next Muppet film will benefit from it. Also this is the rare franchise where there are no stars who are going to be demanding higher paychecks. This will be seen as a luxury to Disney.
See, the whole "hey, not bad for a franchise that was considered dead!" argument rather falls flat for me. "The Smurfs", despite the 3D, skyrocketed over 100 million; "Alvin and the Chipmunks" is of course a similar case. Both of these are aging franchises that, while respected, were considered even more lifeless upon re-entry. It's becoming clearer that it is market over-saturation. It is the simple fact that Arthur Christmas and Hugo ate some of the profit out of the film. What annoys me more of course is the fact that there are Chipmunks on the way, which will undoubtedly bury everything except (ironically) Hugo.

Nothing steams me up more than Chipmunks potentially doubling the BO of Muppets, and that isn't even an overcrowding issue... it's a "more Americans would rather see something like this than Muppets" issue.

Excuse me while I vomit...

Puckrox

Reaction score
Funny story. After seeing the movie I had to go to two auditions. I decided to take my Jim Henson: The Works book with me so I'd have something to read. I was waiting for the subway and asked a couple of guys for directions. After they helped me, one of them said, "So, did you see the new Muppet movie?"
Whenever people see me wearing Muppet appearal or carrying something Muppet related, I tend to get the same reaction. This overjoys me and I have to be extra careful not to gush too much. I try not to scare the people interested away!

Avilos

Reaction score
You are not getting my point. No matter the age of a franchise or the amount of money made at the theaters, many kids might see the new film for the first time on the DVD. Than be more demanding to see the sequel right away.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I guess the next time we'll be seeing the Muppets on the big screen, Kermit will be a CG-realistic looking frog voiced by Will Ferrell or somebody pulling fart jokes like every other kid's movie these days... :boo:

beaker

Reaction score
If the Muppets dont come close to, or even beat what the Smurfs movie made, I'll feel sad. Not just because I always hated the Smurfs, but because it makes me realize parents would rather take their kids to ugly cgi/live action hybrids than films that actually have a positive message, heart and are about something.

Every year that passes, I get more and more sick of cgi

beaker

Reaction score
Whenever people see me wearing Muppet appearal or carrying something Muppet related, I tend to get the same reaction. This overjoys me and I have to be extra careful not to gush too much. I try not to scare the people interested away!
Im the same way, I used to geek out but now I just play it cool. I purposefully will not wear any Muppet related pins/scarves/socks/beanies/shirts if I don't want to talk to anyone or be noticed.

If I wore a Disney or Pixar I doubt anyone would notice. Yet, thats what everyone is into and makes all the big bucks

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
If the Muppets dont come close to, or even beat what the Smurfs movie made, I'll feel sad. Not just because I always hated the Smurfs, but because it makes me realize parents would rather take their kids to ugly cgi/live action hybrids than films that actually have a positive message, heart and are about something.
Many parents are on auto pilot. See my post on the audience's reaction. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Smurfs film is amazing in the fact that Sony had so little confidence in the film, they were ready to bury it in the graveyard of August movies. They bumped it up to July (when people actually give a crap), and as it was the only new kid's film out, it made a fortune.

Key words... Summer... only new family film. Again, Muppets opened with three kids movies in strong competition. With Smurfs, Kung Fu Panda 2 was out since May, Cars 2 since June. Same reason why that Gnome fiasco did so well... and it was well into its release when vacation weeks pumped it up.

In the end...

• Unlike a certain other Green hero based film, it made back its budget
  • This is JUST domestic and we won't know the full measure of the film until April
  • it has a LOT of competition from more Kids movies released in a 2 week period than all summer long, but managed to beat them all
  • The DVD isn't out yet. That's going to be the big proof.
Though, I noticed that the week after a movie's out, they stop advertising it. What is the deal with that.

beaker

Reaction score
I still dont fully get the thanksgiving release. Everything about the film feels like a Summer movie. Not saying princess and the frog or tangled had anything holiday related, but it's a tradition for those sort of films to come out in november. I remember I believe it was thanksgiving 1996, the super lame live action 101 dalmations...tho i look fondly upon that time, as it was PRE cgi kids movie overload time period.

Avilos

Reaction score
I agree Beaker. Also if it got a summer release it would be getting a DVD release around now. It would have had great holiday sales.