The Muppets may be in trouble. :-/

MuppetsFan4Life

Reaction score
I watched Twlight: Breaking Dawn AND The Muppets, and I don't really feel bad for it. I'm Team Edward and Team Kermit, but I really want The Muppets to pull through.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's still fifth by a little... unless there's a report that gave the Muppets a million more. No doubt by the weekend it will get there and be the second highest. And that's BY the weekend. The weekend can add up at least another 10 mil. &0 million isn't terrible for a domestic on such a slow movie going season, especially with that competition.

At least it didn't open at 4th and sink fast, like Pooh unfortunately did. THAT's the disappointing movie gross.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Last post I'll make complaining about this:

It amazes that people always complain that these movies destroy their childhoods by making the characters CG and such, but they become huge hits. When a movie is made that presents beloved childhood characters the same exact way we know and love them, people stay far away from it. I don't get it! :mad:

These complaining people are turning this into a cultural phenomenon!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtC1P6eGLjY

Drtooth

Reaction score
Last post I'll make complaining about this:

It amazes that people always complain that these movies destroy their childhoods by making the characters CG and such, but they become huge hits. When a movie is made that presents beloved childhood characters the same exact way we know and love them, people stay far away from it. I don't get it!
EH... the people who complain about it virtually never see them and have nothing to do for or against them other than complaining. Sure, some will see it out of spite so they have something to complain about (bows), but most of them will just complain about it and not bother.

Chipmunks is a "cultural phenomenon" because the little ankle biters wanna see it. They have no clue who these guys were other than maybe the fact that they sing something during Christmas. And it's that loose connection TO Christmas that made that film a success (and the fact there really wasn't any other big kid's film since). In fact, Fox clearly didn't realize how big the film could have done. No body did. Still, other than poor casting of Dave, the fact that they made them small to comply with the very first Chipmunks albums for no reason, and the consumption of fecal matter in one scene... there really isn't much to the Chipmunks other than the fact they were a novelty record that was deemed good enough for a couple cartoon shows. The first one was enjoyable, nothing great... the second was just poorly executed, even though the concepts of them going to High School and the Chipettes being die hard fans used as a ploy to get revenge on the Chipmunks were pretty good.

Still, this wasn't the case with the Muppets movie. Most of the comments varied from "I want to see this badly" to "please don't suck" (meaning that they will watch it, yet complain if it indeed was terrible), there was a lot of internet buzz, and clearly the college nostalgia crowd heard. The Simpsons put it best last night, "All the things I loved as a kid and hated as a teenager I love again as an adult!" Kids and parents are seeing the film in droves, but there ARE some kids still seeing the other 3, much lesser quality kid's films. but the thing is, they aren't by a long stretch close to the Muppets. I'm actually surprised (happily) that Happy Feet 2 is doing so meh.

This Weekend was SLOW all around for the same reasons I've stated. The Muppets probably wouldn't have done that well during Summer (where they'd be lost in the shuffle) or closer to Christmas even without Chipmunks 3. Somehow the holiday season is much more competition that summer was. Summer has the luxury of releasing a bulk of blockbusters for 3 months (May-July), and even though every film came in week after the next, they all managed to do well enough, at least have one number 1 weekend in cases. Thor one weekend, POTC a few weeks later... and like that. This season, everything's coming out in 2 months. 4 Kid's films in just 2 weeks. There were, like, how many summer kid's films in 3 months? 3 Major ones, Smurfs, Cars, and Kung Fu Panda (all evenly spaced), plus the disappointingly weak performance of Winnie the Pooh (which was BRILLIANT), a poorly performing movie based on a kid's book and something else with Selena Gomez. Not counting Spy Kids 4... August again. There was less competition in 3 months than there was in 2 weeks.

beaker

Reaction score
And because unemployment is high, to be fair. :wink:

(Btw I finally got around to posting my movie review in the "Your Thoughts" thread, hehe).
Most high schoolers and college kids in America have what I call first world problems. Thats why I had to chuckle with those "we are the 99 percent" occupy chuckleheads.
"yeah so why is starbucks taking so long with my mocha latte...and why isnt their wi fi working on my ipad2 and cross platforming with my iphone4 and android phone?"

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Most high schoolers and college kids in America have what I call first world problems. Thats why I had to chuckle with those "we are the 99 percent" occupy chuckleheads.
Yes, our problems are different from the third world problems. But it is true that in the richest country in the world we have far too many people in need.

Drtooth

Reaction score
"yeah so why is starbucks taking so long with my mocha latte...and why isnt their wi fi working on my ipad2 and cross platforming with my iphone4 and android phone?"
"Why am I on a wait list to scrub toilets that will barely pay for my student loans that I won't get because I speak English and can't be threatened with the INS when I want something decadent like Healthcare and or minimum wage?"

Silliest one of all.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
These aren't the issues at hand, and anyone involved with the protests - including yours truly - will fight against a label like that.