The Muppets may be in trouble. :-/

TikiColadas

Reaction score
I took my family to see it again for the 2nd time yesterday and we had a blast. The theater was close to full and everyone seemed to love it as I noticed a majority of them laughing and clapping at the end.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Ugh, IMDB's so annoying sometimes. There's the occasional person trying to start trouble by saying the movie bombed, heh. Maybe some people here could go there and give the trolls a piece of their mind, hehe.

beaker

Reaction score
Ugh, IMDB's so annoying sometimes. There's the occasional person trying to start trouble by saying the movie bombed, heh. Maybe some people here could go there and give the trolls a piece of their mind, hehe.
There's always been Muppet haters. Aint It Cool News is one of the most popular news sites since 1998, and has always been militantly pro Muppet in its coverage. And everytime the talkbacks are filled with Muppet haters.

Those people have no connection to imagination, innocence, dreaming, wonderment, or their inner child. Older I get the more I realize how important those things are.

It defeated Hugo, Arthur Christmas, Happy Feet 2 and Puss and boots two weeks in a row. Those were the competition. It's strange the film dropped so badly in it's second week since there was such critical and audience acclaim along with most people busy with family during Thanksgiving break. But I've looked at box office tallies since I first got online years ago, and in my unbiased opinion it's doing ok.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It's strange the film dropped so badly in it's second week since there was such critical and audience acclaim along with most people busy with family during Thanksgiving break.
I was talking to someone about this, we were saying it's more normal nowadays for people to rush to opening weekends, so the following weeks won't look so good by comparison.

Plus, in case anyone's forgotten, we are in the middle of a recession. Your average young adult can't afford multiple viewings and neither can families.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
^Very true, that is. I'm 21, and I could only afford "The Muppets" because it was a magical six dollar matinee. :stick_out_tongue: I'm in SO much college debt right now... I'm squirreled.

As for "The Muppets" bombing. Well, clearly that didn't happen. It's grossed more than the previous three Muppet releases, if I'm not mistaken. I think it's really funny (and sad) when people are like, "Oh, it only made FIFTY MILLION DOLLARS." Oh, JUST fifty million? If it's so easy to make, why not toss some of that stuff my way. :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think it's really funny (and sad) when people are like, "Oh, it only made FIFTY MILLION DOLLARS." Oh, JUST fifty million? If it's so easy to make, why not toss some of that stuff my way. :wink:
The press did the same thing back in the '60s when the Beatles' concert audience dwindled a bit, enough though they were still clearly bringing in huge crowds, lol. The press just needs something to talk about sometimes. But yeah our casual attitude toward money is quite scary sometimes, lol.

Puckrox

Reaction score
I've learned to stay away from IMDB's boards. Those people make me so angry. :mad:

beaker

Reaction score
Your average young adult can't afford multiple viewings and neither can families.
Yeah, because they're too busy spending their money on the latest Apple gadgets and gizmos, xbox games and blu rays:smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah, because they're too busy spending their money on the latest Apple gadgets and gizmos, xbox games and blu rays:smile:
And because unemployment is high, to be fair. :wink:

(Btw I finally got around to posting my movie review in the "Your Thoughts" thread, hehe).

Drtooth

Reaction score
It defeated Hugo, Arthur Christmas, Happy Feet 2 and Puss and boots two weeks in a row. Those were the competition. It's strange the film dropped so badly in it's second week since there was such critical and audience acclaim along with most people busy with family during Thanksgiving break. But I've looked at box office tallies since I first got online years ago, and in my unbiased opinion it's doing ok.
Puss in Boots is well over a month old and it still manages to find an audience. The Muppet can be that lucky too. Like I said, this is not a school vacation week, and it is the busy holiday shopping season. Even Twilight only got a little, and it didn't beat the Muppets in their second week by all that much. This is a slow weekend for sure, and it made it's budget back within a week. $56 Mil is nothing to sneeze at. It very well could hit the high 60's if not 70 next weekend. If it opened third or fourth, then we'd panic. And these films, as Puss in Boots clearly showed, can stay at theaters for well over a month. Sure, Chipmunks and Sherlock Holmes come out in 2 weeks, and then there will be a large drop.

And for the thousandth time, this is just the domestic. The reaction the film and the Muppets are getting in general is proof enough for Disney to do many more Muppet projects and probably release the rest of the series on DVD.