Sesame Workshop Trying To Have It Both Ways(Bert/Ernie issue)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Jesus isn't like the Greek gods who just demanded praise simply because he's an all powerful GOD. When Jesus said to worship him, he meant to follow his example in life on how to treat others. Compassion isn't just a "good thing," it's the foundation of Christ's teachings.

So many so called Christians seem to forget that. All for political reasons, of course. Following the example, helping the less fortunate... that's what needs to be remembered the most.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Well, I think it's more than just that- we do need to worship Jesus because He is the all powerful God (but I see your point about Him being different from the Greek gods and He definitely is)- and we definitely need to follow Jesus' example of compassion and love. That's actually one of the best ways to truly worship Him.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
It's all cool. I think we've all learned some valuable lessons today and will be better people for it, lol. Nice debating!
lol- this sounded like the ending to an After School Special- (which I love).:smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
So, anyone actually know where I can get this T-Shirt?

Or better yet this one?

They really are having a LOT of fun with these shirts, no matter what. Goofing on the Ernie and Bert issue just shows how much wacky fun they wanna have with these. So much more fun than the standard character faces.
http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Sesame_Street_T-shirts#Ernie_and_Bert

I wish the Muppet T-Shirts were half as playful.

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
Okay, you know what? I haven't been on in a little while but I just went through and read the posts and you know what? Fragglerockr, you're talking about being offensive, but you're here offending others yourself. You ARE trying to censor Gonzoleaper and you are creating absolutely offending posts attacking his views. You are attacking the Bible. You know what? I believe in the bible. I take it as fact. Th Bible is where i find answers. I believe that Jesus Christ is the the son of God and that he is the only way to heaven. You know, if you disagree with me, that's fine. But don't attack my beliefs or anyone else's. You truly did get me angry and offended with your long post earlier. I'm not even going to try to argue with you right now. I'm just letting you know that you should watch what you say as well. If people have differing views than you, then fine. But don't attack people.

beaker

Reaction score
My view, as I've always maintained, is that Ernie and Bert were a quasi spoof on both Jim and Frank's friendship but moreover the funny man/straight man routine popular at the time on tv. But I also think it's important to recognize that it's ok for some to see them as adoptive representatives of the LGBT community.

I always personally believed that the ONLY reason why Maria and Luis were a couple was because the Maria/David relationship was feared to be promoting an interracial couple.

Now they did discuss love on multiple occasions... none of which promoted any agenda. The Maria and Luis wedding (and eventual baby birth) was a major event, but it was never touched upon again. Sort of like Mr. Hooper's death. They've been lucky enough not to have to discuss any of that ever again (the Michael Jeter Mr. Noodle character just existed in Elmo's mind, so they didn't need to explain that). There was an episode a few years back where Elmo has a crush on Gina, and Gina explained there are different kinds of love... and that her's was more like a young aunt and her nephew (not so much in those words). No sex. They never ever mentioned that.
Well Mr Noodle's real life passing, like Richard Hunt's passing, was attributed to something some evangelicals call "God's answer to gays". We live in a country where some evangelical Christians denounce Muslims, but both often share similar views that some might find intolerant.

I see nothing wrong with someday having a same sex human couple, much like they now can have a Hindu or Arabic person on the show.
Remember, they have to edit out the Count and Amazing Mumford for Muslim viewers in the Middle east

I'm pretty sure the only Muppets that are gay are Howard Tubman and his look alike that's openly gay with a Bison.
Yeah....keep thinking that:smile:

beaker

Reaction score
Mormons til 1979(I guess their dogma is whatever the LDS decides) believed blacks were cursed.

All over the world homosexuals, particularly in "Christian" Carribean and African nations(as well as Arab Muslim nations) are hunted down, imprisoned and often killed.

I think sooner or later a charter Sesame Workshop will have to take on is addressing tolerance specifically toward gays and lesbians, probably through the use of human actors. to show positive dedicated gay couples living happily in life. Not hooking up in bath houses, or whatever some evangelicals think.

I mean I get it, I understand why some Christians have this idea about "the gay lifestyle" as being random hookups, bear and twink clubs and a totally hedonistic lifestyle. Thats why Im grateful for America's top rated family show "Modern family", which portrays gay couples as just ordinary, often mundane people.

Also, how can someone not like gay people yet be a Muppet fan? The Muppets are colorful, musical, vaudevillian...I cant think of anything more gay friendly. Some of the most influential Muppet people were gay(Richard Hunt, Kermit Love, and a few others people have speculated on)

Anyways, let's see Christian groups and leaders embrace "it gets better"...heck even Christian Obama has put his support behind the anti bullying/it gets better campaign. Theres an epidemic of suicide/suicide attempts, harassment, beatings and extreme alienations with gay teens in America.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I mean I get it, I understand why some Christians have this idea about "the gay lifestyle" as being random hookups, bear and twink clubs and a totally hedonistic lifestyle. Thats why Im grateful for America's top rated family show "Modern family", which portrays gay couples as just ordinary, often mundane people.
And straights can be EXACTLY like that too. I still think the problem is the "Footloose" attitude towards sex permeates those beliefs. Like I always say, no wonder they don't like gays, they barely tolerate what straights do. Biblically, I understand... this is when civilization and society were starting to form, and there was a LOT of hedonism, and these civilizations were trying to punish that attitude so society could forward. That's why certain religions view hard working as a virtue.

Still, what I don't get is if it's the sex part of being gay that bugs people, why NOT support marriage? Forcing people to couple up, put them into a monogamous relationship where sex dies out slowly. Let them have kids. I always hear complaints from parents that their love life completely nosedived once the kids came.

Still, while I like how the LGBT community embraces Ernie and Bert as their own, when the characters were just a nod to old school comedy. I saw a movie where Abbot and Costello shared the same bed. No one complained about it.