Will There Be Any DisneyPark Specials/Tie-ins Next Year?

beaker

Reaction score
Im really wanting to get to go to Disneyland(or heck if I had the money to fly, WDW) next summer.
Im kicking myself for not being able to go last minute to D23 2009, which seemed like a mini muppetfest(anyone here got to go?)

Every year Disney usually has a special...except this year. 2009 it was get in free on your birthday, last year it was give a day/get a day. But nada tostada this year.

Just curious if there's any word on a Disney parks tie-in to the Muppets(imagine if they had a Muppet fan celebration weekend like they did with Star Wars back in the day?), new Muppet attactions planned or more specifically any special park deals?

Bellygrub

Reaction score
I think the first part of the new Fantasy Land in WDW is opening up later in 2012 so I think a lot of focus will be put on that over on this coast. There was also an announcement that Disney would be opening a new area based on Avatar:
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/09/avatar-coming-to-disney-parks/

I would love it if they dusted off the old Muppet Land plans for Hollywood studio's and built something more around Muppetvision 3-D. There is a lot of empty space there that could use some felt love.

WDW still does the Star Wars weekend every year. It's insane, I've gone twice now (just this past May in fact) but it's getting to the point where the crowds are just to ridiculous. Of course I rate the Muppets above Star Wars so I might be more tolerant of eight hour lines if it was to get a picture with Dave Goelz. :big_grin:

beaker

Reaction score
I was a crazy hardcore Star Wars fan in the 90's, and almost went to the first ever Star Wars celebration in 1997. Just when the new prequels came out I lost a lot of my star wars fandom. Tho I LOVE Revenge of the Sith and consider it my second favorite Star Wars film under Return of the Jedi.

Yeah it would be cool if they were able to do some of the proposed Muppet park stuff they wanted to do in 1990/1991. I found a video from 1991 on youtube where they go into some of the stuff they had planned. I at least want to see a full on Muppet only merchandise store at California Adventure.

I didnt know there was a James Cameron Avatar connection to Disney. I guess theyre just making one up! I can just imagine how amazing this will be, even tho i didnt really like the film. Id be a thousand times more thrilled about a Tron Legacy ride.

Sounds like the SW weekends are insane. Muppet fans should DEMAND a weekend!
Heck the goth subculture people even have their own Disney weekend called Bats Day every year

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
I at least want to see a full on Muppet only merchandise store at California Adventure.
i think this should be the norm in both parks.....even at WDW Muppet vision has somewhat empty space to the side that the shoved a phineas and Ferb mini show that blocks the Muppet vision exit( not saying its a bad show but it was terrible placement and Cars 2 photo op no one really check out...think i saw 5 people at a time in line

beaker

Reaction score
i think this should be the norm in both parks.....even at WDW Muppet vision has somewhat empty space to the side that the shoved a phineas and Ferb mini show that blocks the Muppet vision exit( not saying its a bad show but it was terrible placement and Cars 2 photo op no one really check out...think i saw 5 people at a time in line
Yeah its funny how the film mirrors the real life situation...where the muppets are always pushed to the side to make way for something else. Hopefully that all changes and they take center stage. I hope a big part of D23 is muppety like it was in 2009

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I read that it was asked from Disney execs to Jason Segal, "What scene in the movie would make the best ride?" or something along those lines, but Segal (rightfully so) wasn't really thinking about that while writing the movie.

goldenstate5

Reaction score
Im kicking myself for not being able to go last minute to D23 2009, which seemed like a mini muppetfest(anyone here got to go?)
I went to D23 09, and yes, I went to the Muppets panel. (I did not wait the incredible 2 hour wait afterward to personally meet Fozzie, Gonzo and... I can't remember the other Muppet at the moment) In retrospect, it was quite a disappointment. Except for merchandise, literally every single announcement never came true. I think the only one was the Bohemian Rhapsody, but it had already been produced (or was in the process of) when the panel was going on. They announced a Muppet theatrical movie that never got made (Cheapest), different music videos/parodies that never were produced, a Halloween special that was never filmed, Muppet Whatnot Workshops in CA and FL that were never built, an overhaul of Muppet*Vision 3D that never happened... and so much more. They also had one Muppet perform in person very briefly: Sam the Eagle. (yeah, I don't know either) There was some pre-filmed thing but it was over quickly. The studios presentation had way more Muppets, which was kinda weird. No mention of Jason Segel whatsoever either. And he had been connected with Disney/Muppets for over a year at this point.

I'm guessing the film took up most of the time, which let these projects fall to the wayside. I didn't go to D23 '11, but oddly I think there was less Muppets there.

As for the parks, aside from character meet and greets that will surely be revitalized in 2012, don't expect much. Imagineering is straying from the old 3D film attractions since the effect (which is the main factor in attracting audiences) can be viewed in movie theaters across the country. So don't expect MV3D to be updated, however it will get a new lease on life as the new movie should give the attraction a popularity boost for a little while. New attractions down the line? I can't say "never", but for now don't count on it. Think smaller, like the Muppets getting a segment in California Adventure's World of Color, or even a little daytime show. Their presence will be increased, but in tinier doses than you might imagine.

I think for now, Disney's main focus is finding other ways to utilize this now confirmed-to-be refreshed franchise.

brkndwnbus

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else goes to this Disney message board, but they have a lot of "insiders" who, while not giving away too much, will say if projects for certain parks are in the works. Anyway, there is a Muppets discussion of what fans would want to see, but nothing from any of the well-respected insiders confirming anything is in the works. http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=823824

Bellygrub

Reaction score
The sad part is that there is a Muppet store in Hollywood Studios. But in recent years Muppets merchandise has been stuck in a corner on a single wrack and an occasional display shelf. In their own store! If nothing else I'd love to see that store revitalized a bit. Silly to have giant Kermit statues outside and a replica of the Bus Station lockers inside with no merchandise!
I'm still waiting for the Gonzo and Statler and Waldorf apps that were announced at D23 in 09. :/