Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

muppetwriter

Reaction score
I saw it tonight and I'm DEFINITELY going to see it again next month after I'm done with the current semester in college! :smile:

What can I say that hasn't already been said about this movie! It was so beautifully done, and I believe it even surpassed the very first Muppet movie! The songs for this one were excellent - oh, how I've missed musical sequences in a Muppet movie (I thought I could do without them in Muppets From Space, but I was wrong!). "Man or Muppet" is my absolute favorite song from this film - Gary's Muppet version of himself was awesome, and I did NOT see Jim Parsons coming as Walter's human version of himself (I was thinking of my own brother when I saw that - he's a HUGE fan of The Big Bang Theory, lol).

The realism of this movie was its strongpoint. The Muppets have indeed been somewhat out of the public eye for a decade since practically Muppets Tonight (once again, I find it hard to acknowledge MFS because of the failure it was in theaters that summer of '99). It was awesome of Jason Segel to show the world how bad we've become without the Muppets in our lives. I personally thought the scene where Whoopi Goldberg, Selena Gomez, and Rico Rodriguez (Manny from Modern Family) was hilarious when they each gave a reason for showing up at the telethon - Rico's line to Kermit about him being a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle was epic! LOL! It was funny mostly because you know they are real fans of the Muppets, just like everyone else who appeared in the movie (yes, I'm even looking at you, Jack Black).

I won't prolong my review, because most of what I love about this movie has already been mentioned. All I'll finish off with saying is that I hope this movie is a success this Thanksgiving weekend, and I hope its success will encourage Disney to do another film or maybe a new TV show. The Muppets are as bankable as anything Pixar has, and you know how much Disney loves breaking the bank. :wink:

beaker

Reaction score
I saw it at midnight last night! It was so much fun and I loved seeing the Muppets on the big screen again! They did such a good job with the movie, I was really impressed.

There were a lot of great throwbacks to the older stuff (showing clips from The Muppet Show, Sweetums chasing after the gang from Mad Man Mooney & Son, referencing Together Again). It was really touching in all the right places, I got a little teary towards the end when they were all singing Rainbow Connection.
That Rainbow Connection part...wow. I was in awe, almost in tears.
Also yeah, WHERE WAS RIZZO? I get it, Pepe was too ubiqutious in the zeroes, so they wanted to go back to the 70's and 80's. But no Rizzo?

But yeah this was a HUGE love letter. Sadly I didnt notice as many easter eggs as I would have wanted.

12Medbe

Reaction score
But yeah this was a HUGE love letter. Sadly I didnt notice as many easter eggs as I would have wanted
One Gigantic Easter Egg was Sweetums' scene in the reuniting montage, a good nod to The Muppet Movie.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
What can I say that hasn't already been said about this movie! It was so beautifully done, and I believe it even surpassed the very first Muppet movie!
Judging from most of the reviews, I think I'll probably like the film. But I personally don't think it will surpass Jim Henson's actual work. But agree to disagree. :wink:

beaker

Reaction score
Also, they don't explain why Kermit and Piggy split up so long ago- Kermit says that back then he said things that he regretted but we never find out what those things were and when Piggy talks about knowing that Kermit didn't want to marry her, only die-hard fans would get what she is saying (the novel has a flashback scene where it goes back to a huge argument that Kermit and Piggy had after The Muppets Take Manhattan where Kermit says, "you are not my wife, you will never be my wife", then Piggy takes the wedding photo of her and Kermit and rips it in two and runs out)- NONE of this is in the movie so new fans- fans the movie is trying to create, have no idea what is going on and near the end of the movie where the photo comes up, there is no context- I cannot believe that was edited out- it's such a big part of the Kermit and Piggy side story. I am BEGGING AND PRAYING that this will be put back in when the DVD comes out!!!!
The editing is definitely a tragic situation...this movie needed to be two hours or more. I can imagine a lot of things that would have made this even an Oscar contender were cut. It packs a greater emotional whallop when these plot points are explored...but sadly, this movie feels like it was hacked up by an ADHD editor.

And what I mean by that is, as that while we have VISIONARY scenes like the opening and rainbow connection and so many pitch perfect awe inspiring moments...some elements seem cut off, or really tacked on. Im just curious what was cut, as I felt it should have been longer.

I LOVE Letters to Santa, but it was truncated. Some of this experience feels truncated a bit

12Medbe

Reaction score
Judging from most of the reviews, I think I'll probably like the film. But I personally don't think it will surpass Jim Henson's actual work. But agree to disagree. :wink:
It doesn't surpass Jim Henson's work... It lives up to it. Short and sweet, its his vision!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The editing is definitely a tragic situation...this movie needed to be two hours or more. I can imagine a lot of things that would have made this even an Oscar contender were cut. It packs a greater emotional whallop when these plot points are explored...but sadly, this movie feels like it was hacked up by an ADHD editor.
Reminds me of when I saw Return of the King in theaters. The pacing in the theatrical version was very off, it never felt right (and this was a 3.5 hour movie!). But the DVD version with the deleted scenes put back in made it a lot better. :smile:

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
This was my first review i posted elsewhere

i just literally walked in from seeing it ...im in tears...tears of joy, sorry happiness you name it i loved this Movie...and i knew that i would and i have, had share hope that all you naysayers will watch it and be amazed..The Muppets never left and didn't lose their magic and this movie proves it..DO NOT WAIT GO SEE IT

Jerry was the voice over during the Muppet show telethon.....

NOW i must say this Jason Segel Amy Adams and Chris Cooper DO NOT take any face time away from the Muppets...this is a Muppet filled movie and practically every scene has them...there where countless pictures and references to Jim Henson from original Kermit Clips to you name it, and so many references to the older movies us older fans will love,i want to say so much more but i cant because i dont want to spoil anything....all i will say is it ended and i wanted more...not because it felt short but because i want it...GO SEE IT...i will definitely be back in the theaters to see it, and not just to support it but to enjoy it.
now i just got back in tonight from seeing it my 3rd time YES 3RD

I love this movie...i sing along to the songs..cry when moments appear and choke up when Kermit gives his speech
and i still agree that it matches with the older movies, he may not be with us Physically but Jims spirit is in this movie and you can feel it
...i love all the Little references to the older flicks and the Muppets touching on their roots, Sweetums running after the car saying not again,Deadly and Bobo Singing together again, AND SO MUCH MORE what else can i say that hasn't already been said...i can only see someone not liking this movie like truly hate it out of spite or because they already shut themselves out to it( lone reviewer on rotten tomatoes)

Man or Muppet is so much better as a visual than just a song, but really i had no issues with the songs...i understand some stuff had to be cut to show how the show works but thats why we have the sound track so we can hear the full songs

i agree some scenes seem a little short cut but that happens in all movies

as for what some people said about little moments not being explained...as someone who didnt read the novel that doesnt bother me because its not knowledge i had before hand and a reason i didnt want to read it...spoilers and all

i love this movie like i said before ill be back again... Friday i have 2 planed views and who knows from there