The Muppets Movie Reviews

beaker

Reaction score
This review sums up why the world needs the Muppets now more than ever:

It's funny. I've been chewing over this review for several days now. I already realize what's probably expected of me, considering all the love I've shown the Muppets these past couple of weeks. If you're looking for a quick fix in regards to the quality of the film, that's pretty easy - THE MUPPETS is surely worth your time and money this weekend. It's appropriate that THE MUPPETS opens Thanksgiving weekend, because I can't think of a better film to see that takes stock in all the good things we have, and in all the joys that come from just living life as best as you can. But for me, THE MUPPETS is just a confirmation of a long-held belief that I've felt since I was a child, and that I know for a fact is the way to live my life.
We live in a cynical world. So cynical. And I thought they couldn't get more cynical than the 1990s, with O.J. Simpson, the various D.C. sex scandals going all the way up to the President of the United States, and the general malaise my generation felt at the time. Just look at the music - "Here we are now, entertain us" isn't a rallying cry, it's a declaration that we have nothing to prove anymore, nothing to teach, nothing to say. We are here to enjoy the party while the world burns, nothing more. And although that line comes from a great song by a great band, it was, to me, always something of a warning - if we don't watch it, we could become as cynical as the world around us, and nothing matters.
So when the Muppets perform "Smells Like Teen Spirit" in the film, and barbershop it up, with Jack Black screaming, "You're ruining the song!", it feels like a genuine catharsis. They take all the malaise and angst and turn it into something silly, and in doing so, make a statement that life is to be lived, experienced, and not something that should just be absorbed in disdain and cynicism. It's joyous in the way the Muppets take that song and make it their own, at least for the few minutes it's onscreen. I think Kurt Cobain would have approved, and even if he wouldn't, so what? It's no accident that Dave Grohl shows up in the Muppets as well, and it's perfectly fine.
THE MUPPETS is a great movie. It's great because its message is true - that life is a grand, wondrous thing, and should be celebrated. That friends and family are better than gold. That there is more joy than despair out in the world, even if it's sometimes difficult to see. And THE MUPPETS says to me, more than anything else, that we don't yearn for simpler times, or simpler entertainments. It's not just nostalgia that makes THE MUPPETS great - it's the fact that bringing joy and laughter to other people is probably the greatest gift a person can give themselves, and these guys have been gone far too long.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52033

To me that's edgy. If everything is "ironic", cynical and "edgy", then being goofy, honest and such would be the new edgy. I personally cannot stand the current time period we live in...where everything has to be instant twitter liked/disliked mashed smart phone texted up, rebooted and put to a dubstep beat.

beaker

Reaction score
no i meant like we have seen fozzie piggy kermit walter scooter full body wonder who else
Piggy has been going more full bodied in interviews...meaning like in SNL, we see her fully standing. On Fallon, the illusion of her and Piggy appearing without looking puppeteered was a neat trick

Duke Remington

Reaction score
The regulars, Thog, Sweeetums, Big Mean Carl, Behemoth, and so on
Carl and Behemoth are not full-body characters.

I take this to mean that Sweetums, Thog and The Mutations are the only full-body Muppets in the movie, correct?

As a sidenote, I'm not asking if any other long-absent obscure characters are in the film that we did not see in the trailers, because I really want to be surprised on that one when I go out to see the film at the theaters.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
no i meant like we have seen fozzie piggy kermit walter scooter full body wonder who else
STOP PLAGUING PEOPLE WITH YOUR QUESTIONS AND WAIT TWO MORE DAYS. YOU ARE ANNOYING US ALL WHEN YOU DO IT.
i have to agree with TheMonsterAteMe, its not just here but most of your posts are questions about who does what, what happens and when will you see it.....all questions that will be answered in time you just need patience...i understand your excited for The Muppets and this movies...but really its less than 2 days away and all your questions will be answered

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Carl and Behemoth are not full-body characters.

I take this to mean that Sweetums, Thog and The Mutations are the only full-body Muppets in the movie, correct?
You don't really see Big Mean Carl and Behemoth completly in the movie, but they are usally full bodied, aren't they?

Duke Remington

Reaction score
You don't really see Big Mean Carl and Behemoth completly in the movie, but they are usally full bodied, aren't they?
They're not. Carl and Behemoth are live-hand puppets (like Fozzie, Rowlf, etc.), just larger.

So, are there any other full-body Muppets in the film besides Sweetums, Thog and The Mutations or not?

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
So, are there any other full-body Muppets in the film besides Sweetums, Thog and The Mutations or not?
Like it was told to MuppetLover..it's less than 2 days away wait and see it will make the experience that much better