Sesame Street Stays Up Late

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Someone recently uploaded the full special on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dxhEmkEsSs

I hadn't seen this in a long while and I really enjoy it. Using the international characters along side the domestic ones is such a brilliant move. I don't know why they haven't done that more often (I wonder if they'll do anything else with those Panwapa guys).

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
I'd never even heard of this! Too cool! Thanks, Oscarfan!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wish I got the DVD when I had the chance, but ehhh.... I was going to watch it on YT anyway. Such an underrated special. It's great to see American and international characters co-mingling...

though I feel disappointed by the fact they didn't get any Plaza Sesamo characters in Mexico and just made up a Mexican Elmo.

And I love the name Elmonosuke.. even though transliteration would make it Erumonosuke.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I think they must have written and filmed this before the 1993 edition of PS came out.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
This special has a dear place in my SST affections. My family and I went on basically what was our last family trip after the death of my father, we went to Connecticut and met up with my uncle and second aunt on my mom's side. As part of that vacation, we drove up for a week's stay at rentable houses in Vermont. The night we drove up to Vermont I remember there was a doughnut moon... And when we got to the house we'd be staying at, I find the TV and turn it on and find this Sesame special airing. You can imagine my surprise upon catching it when having no prior knowledge as to its airing—this was before the days of fan-driven forums where we get notifications of every little time the Muppets show up on anything.

Loved learning about the different customs and characters from the featured co-productions. Even the ending had that touch of SST funniness.
Thanks for reminding us of a great special.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Woah, memory flood. :electric: Watching that special is one of the earliest Muppet-related memories I have (I've still got the video my mom recorded around here somewhere) and it's still my favorite out of all the SST specials I've seen.

My favorite parts were always the international segments from Germany and Norway and the song at the end, which I can still remember the words to, even though it's been years since I've watched it.

I would always insist on watching it on New Years Eve, even when nobody else wanted to. One year, I even tried to sync it so that midnight on Sesame Street would
coincide with actual midnight (it didn't work right).

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I think they must have written and filmed this before the 1993 edition of PS came out.
Well in 1993, Rechov Sumsum was long gone and it had been over two years since the end of Shalom Sesame, but I digress. (besides, from what I've seen, it doesn't seem like the Plaza Sesamo puppeteers know very much English)

That said, I loved this special as a boy as well. And I've got to say, for a street in New York at the very end of December, Sesame Street has some darn great weather. You barely see anyone in winter gear.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Well in 1993, Rechov Sumsum was long gone and it had been over two years since the end of Shalom Sesame, but I digress. (besides, from what I've seen, it doesn't seem like the Plaza Sesamo puppeteers know very much English)
Well, it would appear that Tita and the Norwegian characters had dubbed voices, so I don't think it's all a matter of English.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wonder if it was an availability issue. It looked like this was before PS's relaunch. I mean, Abelardo could have made an appearance, sure, but that grouch character was on the way out, right? Plus, had they another grouch, it would be too similar to the Israel segment.

Whatever the reason, at least we still have Moishe Oofnki. He's one of my favorite international characters.