Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Spoofs DVD Set

minor muppetz

Reaction score
All in all, I really did enjoy the set, but I wanted a little more, maybe some more News Flash segments with Kermit and maybe some more song spoofs like 'How I Miss My Ex' (with the letter X of course) and I wished 'Hip To Be a Square' had made it as well.
Not very many News Flash segments are really parodies. While they may involve fairy tales and nursery rhymes and usually have different endings than what's expected, they are pretty much the same story or nursery rhyme. The characters (usually) have the same names as in the original story.

But all the Don Music songs are parodies, and some of those should have been included. I think I'd also consider "The Princess and the C" a parody.

And I don't think "How I Miss My X" is a parody of any speciffic song.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
I found this DVD to be a great start to the long legacy of Spoofs that have appeared on Sesame Street the past 42 years. I truly did enjoyed it from start to finish, I mean seeing the Beat the Time moments on there put a smile on my face. :big_grin:

I cannot wait to see what they have planned for the next one.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I was watching the Rebel L clip on YouTube, and noticed that the last shot was cut from the DVD release. I don't consider it a post-roll, so I do wonder why it was cut. It was kind of cool... It was a close-up of the L and the cop, while the screen just moved diagnolly to the left.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I don't see why they cut it either. Maybe they didn't want the repetitive lyrics going and just let it end. They did the same for "Born to Add" and "Cereal Girl" on the DVD too.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I don't see why they cut it either. Maybe they didn't want the repetitive lyrics going and just let it end. They did the same for "Born to Add" and "Cereal Girl" on the DVD too.
Muppet Wiki notes that the ending to Born to Add is also cut on Learning to Add and Subtract. It's been a few years since I last saw that video, but I wonder if it's cut the same way on both releases.

I recently watched Born to Add on Hulu, and while it's not too much longer, I feel it sounds better with the ending lyrics.

I sort of wish it didn't have those film strip transitions. Looks a little awkward when clicking on clips in the chapter stops, where they automatically take you back to the chapter menu when the clip ends.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
The "Learning to Add and Subtract" edit went on basically to the end, it just transitions back to the framing sequences during it, while the audio continues.

As for the film strips, they're useful in a way that the segments don't just cut to each other all the time. This isn't like the show, where (like commercials), segments would cut to one another. Transitions add some flow and I don't mind them. I do mind when they occur too early though.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This isn't like the show, where (like commercials), segments would cut to one another. Transitions add some flow and I don't mind them. I do mind when they occur too early though.
Actually, it seems like transitions between sketches have been common since the format changed in 2002. Transitions seemed to be a bit common in the early years as well (though I do recall a few instances in the 1990s when segments faded to black).

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Well, in general, that's the way they would go from sketch to sketch.