Bert and Ernie Gay Rumor: Settled

dwmckim

Reaction score
Veering offtopic, but i'm really happy about Kevin not only being his due but bein such a huge success since Jughead had been the closest thing to a gay role model for decades with a lot implied about his not liking girls. That eventually was clarified as his being straight but just not girl-crazy, but still it was always a bit of a letdown when they did acknowledge his being straight when he had been a bit of an adopted rolemodel for so many for so long.

But the Jughead/Kevin relationship is awesome! They totally accept each other (and their respective sexualities) and have a huge amount in common, especially their passion for food/eating. Going back to what i had talked about earlier about gay men always having other people think that any male friendships they have must translate as being part of a couple, i love how Kevin and Jug have an awesome friendship that is exactly just that and nothing more.

Convincing John

Reaction score
Yeah, I have noticed from watching the first season eps that Ernie was like a kid and Bert was like a father or an uncle, but as far is I know they are in no way related. Though some of my friends had believed they were brothers.
No, they aren't related...but it sure seemed like Bert was like an adult figure, didn't it? You always saw Ernie playing with the toys or coloring or whatever, you know, kids stuff. Meanwhile Bert would listen to music suitable for Lawrence Welk, grumble about having to clean the place up or watch weather forecasts on TV.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
No, they aren't related...but it sure seemed like Bert was like an adult figure, didn't it? You always saw Ernie playing with the toys or coloring or whatever, you know, kids stuff. Meanwhile Bert would listen to music suitable for Lawrence Welk, grumble about having to clean the place up or watch weather forecasts on TV.
I guess that's because adults are usually viewed as grouchy and responsible. I think the ideal grown up should be equal parts of both Bert and Ernie in the right context.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Veering offtopic, but i'm really happy about Kevin not only being his due but bein such a huge success since Jughead had been the closest thing to a gay role model for decades with a lot implied about his not liking girls. That eventually was clarified as his being straight but just not girl-crazy, but still it was always a bit of a letdown when they did acknowledge his being straight when he had been a bit of an adopted rolemodel for so many for so long.
I always felt Jughead was a case of arrested development, or just didn't like anything that required work... a relationship requires work, and as such he doesn't bother with one. Of course, Jughead's the only character I really like, and I never really dug Archie except for "Weird Mysteries." All and all, I'm paying much more attention to their video game line of comics. But great to see them do something VERY bold.

DC, for the longest time, refused to put any African American characters in their comics. I think some of their writers got fired (or temporarily left) when they tried adding them in or protested. I forget the details.

MJTaylor

Reaction score
I haven't had the time to look at all the posts yet but I was quite sure that Bert was straight when I heard "I Want To Hold Your Ear" (available on Bert's Blockbusters and Sesame Road). At the start he says he once had a girlfriend.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Now, while I think they're straight (most of the time, until it amuses me to think otherwise), the problem is that Rod said it best in Ave Q: "I have a girlfriend who lives in Canada." In other words, to deflect "accusations", magic girlfriends no one ever meets exist to promote an image that does not reflect reality.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Now, while I think they're straight (most of the time, until it amuses me to think otherwise), the problem is that Rod said it best in Ave Q: "I have a girlfriend who lives in Canada." In other words, to deflect "accusations", magic girlfriends no one ever meets exist to promote an image that does not reflect reality.
That did occur to me too, lol. Though at the same time you can't be paranoid and assume everyone's lying either. :wink:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I should mention this, but I'm genuinely curious... with all the talks of stereotypes and such, would anyone ever wonder if perhaps Horatio might be seen as sort of a gay stereotype? I mean he's a male character, who dresses in a tutu, and arguably has a rather effeminate manner of speech, and a girly giggle.

I mean I KNOW kids wouldn't think of things like that, but what about those same adults who like to think Ernie and Bert are gay? Would they question Horatio too?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I should mention this, but I'm genuinely curious... with all the talks of stereotypes and such, would anyone ever wonder if perhaps Horatio might be seen as sort of a gay stereotype? I mean he's a male character, who dresses in a tutu, and arguably has a rather effeminate manner of speech, and a girly giggle.
Nah, it's the fact that his voice and actions are completely unexpected out of a large, heavy animal... something where you'd expect a much lower voice. Much as I love Joey's characters, I kinda like Martin's performance of the elephant in Monster Clubhouse better... the stuffy upperclass Brit accent. That's more fitting, and yet funnier.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
From what I've read, there are many men who dress up in drag but are actually straight. And obviously being effeminate isn't a litmus test for sexuality.