Bert and Ernie Gay Rumor: Settled

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
(quote)Yes, while HIV/AIDS has affected many a gay person (ala Richard), it's not exclusive to gay people... in fact, it was clear (to those of us who knew what it was all about) that Kami was an example of how some children down in South Africa are sadly BORN with the disease... so it's not like a Muppet is gonna engage in "butt sex" with another Muppet and suddenly get STDs. (/quote)

Actually, I was wondering about that. Has it been established anywhere that Richard Hunt really was gay or are we just assuming on that?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's pretty much common knowledge among Muppet fans that yes, Richard Hunt was, indeed, gay. Street Gang says that both he and "his partner" contracted HIV, but he outlived his partner who died in his arms. That's just one example where it's pretty clear that he was.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Okay. That sounds interesting. Would there be some way to purchase that magazine online or at a store somewhere?

In all honesty,I came to the conclusion that perhaps her mother had divorced, and gotten remarried, so that her "2 daddies" are really one father, and one stepfather.
Yeah. I almost forgot about that. Still, even if two men were homosexual, them having a daughter together wouldn't be genetically possible, unless they adopted her. A divorce situation probably would have been more likely.

Drtooth

Reaction score
When Takalani Sesame in South Africa introduced Kami the HIV-Positive Muppet... that right there is ANOTHER gay stereotype: people think that HIV/AIDS is the result of gay sex, and it shows how ignorant most Americans really are on the disease; when news of Kami spread, the entire country was up-in-arms, because they 1) Weren't aware SST has international co-productions and thought Kami was coming to the U.S. 2) again, the whole HIV/AIDS being associated with homosexuality stereotype, therefore, they thought SST was trying to include homosexuality on the show.

Yes, while HIV/AIDS has affected many a gay person (ala Richard), it's not exclusive to gay people... in fact, it was clear (to those of us who knew what it was all about) that Kami was an example of how some children down in South Africa are sadly BORN with the disease... so it's not like a Muppet is gonna engage in "butt sex" with another Muppet and suddenly get STDs.
I like how some of the more bigoted "religious" "leaders" use AIDS as a "God is punishing gay people with a disease" platform, not knowing that it is a serious thing in South Africa. Bono even had to compare it with biblical plagues to get any one to care about it.

And I was SHOCKED that Falwell actually DEFENDED Sesame Workshop for Kami. Really.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I like how some of the more bigoted "religious" "leaders" use AIDS as a "God is punishing gay people with a disease" platform, not knowing that it is a serious thing in South Africa. Bono even had to compare it with biblical plagues to get any one to care about it.
If not that, some claim that it's a disease that originated when the natives mated with monkeys.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Never heard the monkey love thing, as I remember reading it was about eating bushmeat, which was apparently rather bad.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If not that, some claim that it's a disease that originated when the natives mated with monkeys.
That's a Robin Williams monologue from Saturday Night Live in the 80's. It could indeed be true, but then again... who knows. Could have been a blood to blood interaction too. That's how else it can be caught.

Convincing John

Reaction score
When I was little, I thought Bert was Ernie's uncle for a while. Bert was old enough to have a job of some kind and pay the rent while looking after Ernie. When we try to think about how old they are, Bert is obviously the more mature one while Ernie is the kid. I don't see them as gay, but more of a kid/adult dynamic.

I thought about the Bunsen and Beaker thing too. Aside from another Laurel and Hardy type of pairing, Beaker puts up with all the Muppet labs craziness because he helps put all these inventions together (he's the assistant, right?) so, he must have some faith that at least some of these ideas will work. Steve Whitmire said in an interview that Beaker is really smart because he works in a lab (makes sense), but he just gets the short end of the stick all the time. Fat Blue (or Mr. Johnson, if you prefer) is the same way. So is Charlie Brown. All three of them look forward to something great (kicking the football, eating a good meal or showing off a new invention), but it never works out. It's not their fault. They all try, but luck just isn't on their sides.

Another reason Beaker sticks around is a theory I had that came from one of my old Muppet books. (I'll have to look up which one, but I think it was "Case of the Giant Chicken"). It said that Bunsen was the only one who could understand what Beaker was saying. Don't know if that's true or not if we asked say, Dave Goelz, but it might explain why beaker can't get a job anywhere else.

Bunsen, I think, is so focused on the experiment and so confident (and proud) of what he built, he's ignoring the obvious, which is that his inventions hardly ever work right.

Or he could be a really quiet, calm version of the Robot Chicken mad scientist...

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I'm so glad you brought up the history of difficult topics in children's entertainment along with the inclusion of Sesame's nixed divorce episode. That's exactly where this discussion should have started. I guess the absurdity of the recent petition obscured a much more interesting conversation. Thanks for bringing that back. :super:

It is tough and there are a lot of groups waiting to find an excuse to pounce on such programs. I still think it can be done. As mentioned it has been done when considering that many out gay celebrities have appeared on Sesame Street. I still think assigning the lifestyle label confuses some folk by painting an ambiguous picture of what life is really like. Gay couples are very much like straight couples. They're just of the same sex and face more prejudice. There's an epic conspiracy to hide it from me if there's anything more interesting than that. :stick_out_tongue:

Wow! You know about Kevin Keller! He's an out gay character in Archie Comics that recently became popular enough to carry his own branded comic along with being a recurring character in the regular Archie universe:
I hope this helps others become more tolerant in accepting the differences of others even if they don't agree with them. :smile:
Thanks for sharing that. I have heard of Kevin, but I don't think I've yet read any stories about him being gay. Though it does seem like he is quite in contrast with Jughead who's merely not interested in women.

BTW, welcome back, Convincing John. I haven't heard from you lately. Yeah, I have noticed from watching the first season eps that Ernie was like a kid and Bert was like a father or an uncle, but as far is I know they are in no way related. Though some of my friends had believed they were brothers.