NEW Disney Marvel MUPPET comics!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hear me... I want them to fail and realize that it was a big mistake not letting Boom re-negotiate the license. Though something tells me that's like asking the universe to turn itself inside out.

Strike One! Muppet and Pixar comics license pulled before Incredibles can finish their story AND before the Muppets can publish their last arc.

Strike two: Classic and International Disney Reprints license pulled. To be fair, Boom stopped publishing Double O Duck and Duck Avenger comics, so other than the fact I've got 2 months to find 50 bucks to buy the Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck before the price skyrockets and I have to wait another decade, I can't say I'm horribly disappointed... but still, crummy thing to do.

Third Strike, Final offense, last straw: Disney afternoon license gone.... Now, presumably they could make money off these bad kid's magazines if they keep putting Cars on the cover (I don't see them sell), but I severly doubt Disney would want anything to do with Disney Afternoon shows. Even when they made T-Shirts for sale at Hot Topic Only, they manage tho screw up the coloring on the Darkwing shirt. They refuse to finish the series they released on DVD, there's no way they'll post them online themselves... why pull a license you want nothing with that someone else was doing something brilliant with?

beaker

Reaction score
Now that I found out they pulled the SAME friggin stunt with the Disney Afternoon license, :boo: I hope these crappy crappy crappy magazine reprints fail big time. I HATE Disney's treatment of the license from a GOOD indie comics company so they can consolidate everything to a company that wouldn't even print a new Cars comic if it was guaranteed to sell out on the first day because it's more profitable to kill off every super hero and bring them back a month later.:sigh:

I HATE these magazines with a total passion now. The covers SUCK, the printing stock SUCKS, and the Disney comics management SUCKS! Screw their ownership of Marvel, indie comic companies are the ONLY places pop culture icons can thrive.:grouchy:
In a way the Boom thing reminds me of Dreamwave...from the fan's perspective(not management wise) While Dreamwave collapsed because the people running it were wildly running around mismanaging the funds, if you were a fan it was very similar.
Dreamwave had the absolute most gorgeous looking comics in 2002-2004. But, much of the focus went into way too many Transformers titles. (IDW just looks terrible)

Fast forward to Boom, a bit too many Muppet titles, and then...none. Dreamwave had Megaman, Ninja Turtles, Transformers, etc...and then suddenly collapsed. Boom Kids is dead pretty much with all the amazing Muppets, Pixar and 80's/90's Afternoon Disney titles canceled(and man, I have to say they were amazing even tho Im not as big a fan as Dr Tooth is)

Whats going to happen to all that talent? I say they should form a new company. Heck I'd release rogue unlicenced doujinshi Roger Rabbit titles.

But yeah it's total baloney. That's why I say we need an unofficial Muppet comic zine online, with several pages and pinups from across the deviant art/fan landscape ala UK Sonic fans. There's NOTHING redeemable or good about the Disney Muppet comic covers. They're terrible. I don't care if my best friend drew that, it's terrible.
I havent seen em, but it just sounds lame. Why not make an official MAGAZINE, like Star Wars Insider or like the official magazines for other properties?

beaker

Reaction score
Hear me... I want them to fail and realize that it was a big mistake not letting Boom re-negotiate the license. Though something tells me that's like asking the universe to turn itself inside out.

Strike One! Muppet and Pixar comics license pulled before Incredibles can finish their story AND before the Muppets can publish their last arc.

Strike two: Classic and International Disney Reprints license pulled. To be fair, Boom stopped publishing Double O Duck and Duck Avenger comics, so other than the fact I've got 2 months to find 50 bucks to buy the Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck before the price skyrockets and I have to wait another decade, I can't say I'm horribly disappointed... but still, crummy thing to do.

Third Strike, Final offense, last straw: Disney afternoon license gone.... Now, presumably they could make money off these bad kid's magazines if they keep putting Cars on the cover (I don't see them sell), but I severly doubt Disney would want anything to do with Disney Afternoon shows. Even when they made T-Shirts for sale at Hot Topic Only, they manage tho screw up the coloring on the Darkwing shirt. They refuse to finish the series they released on DVD, there's no way they'll post them online themselves... why pull a license you want nothing with that someone else was doing something brilliant with?
Well all Disney licenses were yanked at once, so it's one big strike. Im just wondering where that talent is going to go.

I really have come to agree with Joe Murray in his blogs on how indie and free is the way to go. I mean if the creator of Rocko and Lazlo is now exclusively doing online animation content, it's a sign. Heck, Nine Inch Nails and countless other bands now release their albums for free. Some of the best current comic serials Ive seen are webcomics. I mean lets face it, despite comic based movies making kazillions in annual BO gross, not many people buy comics(I laugh at DC launching "52#1's" and the new Spiderman being a black/latino gay teen...the industry is trying too hard to save a sinking ship. I go to comic cons, I talk to industry people on and offline. The writing is on the wall. Indie and online is the way to go.
All this year Ive been teaching myself animation, after effects, 3dmax, premiere editing etc...no classes, no online "full sail" type enrollment classes, no companies. Just a strong vision and a will to create every day with storyboards, concepts and bringing it into minute episodes. Almost a decade ago I launched an online webcomic series which got a pretty sizeable following in 2003/2004, and unless one gets lucky by getting picked up by a publisher(or in the case of animation, the one in a zillion chances of getting put on tv) it's the way to go.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well all Disney licenses were yanked at once, so it's one big strike. Im just wondering where that talent is going to go..

Actually no. The licenses were yanked one after another. They were all separate parts of a license, otherwise the Disney reprints would have gone away with the Muppet/Pixar line. Still, it's a VERY lousy thing to do. Aaron is supposedly trying to get the Disney Afternoon license back (because, let's face it, Disney didn't care bout TDA since the 90's, despite the huge cult nostalgic fanbase). On the other hand, at least this proves the Muppets didn't get special treatment, or Untreatment as the case may be.

Who do current main stream comics appeal to? I always hear the people at the comic store complaining about them and how they're so convoluted. No casual person's gonna walk into an issue and not be confused (which is why I never followed the Sonic comics until the Genisis arc).... and of course wannabe fake geeks just buy the T-Shirts. Indie stuff tries harder and comes up with gold. I just got the preview issue of Snarked, and I found it brilliant. Plus really... all this convoluted Post Crisis/Brightest Day/Flashpoint crap... WHY did you have to drag Plasticman into all this serious heavy garbage if he's a PARODY character? GAW! The stuff's already impossible to follow. Give us something FUN! That's why when I read the main stream stuff, I only go for kid's/cartoon versions of the characters. I want to read this stuff to have FUN!

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
i got my copy of the new muppet comic book..i think its neat! and the guy gave me a NEW darkwing duck comic too! :big_grin:

j3h

Reaction score
Cool...but too bad Boom! is losing the "Disney afternoon" lic. too as of end of oct.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Cool...but too bad Boom! is losing the "Disney afternoon" lic. too as of end of oct.
The magazines are NOT worth it... not one bit. Boom did great stuff with all the licenses, Marvel's basically sitting on it and giving us "Here! Now SHUT UP and buy new Spider-Man" releases.

I hope Aaron can renegotiate it. But it won't happen.

Drtooth

Reaction score
....mr. negative there! :rolleyes: ...just let it be!

Yeah... several great comics that were hot sellers are being pulled out of the capable hands for the copyright owners to sit on. Maybe in 2 years, we'll get the same stories reprinted on toilet paper stock instead of new stories. What's not to like?

beaker

Reaction score
Actually, having thumbed through it at Toys R Us...while I hate the covers, and the paper is more on the cheaper side...it's very very awesome to have the TPB reprinted for people at $6. Not a lot of people would be as exposed to the comics as they may with this being at grocery stores and whatnot.

Though I have a feeling fans are going to be whining about "where's season 4 of TMS dvd and where's Langridge's final issue" for eons to come.

Btw Dr Tooth, you NEED to pick up the latest Sonic series and Sonic Universe. The art and coloring is some of the best Im seeing, storylines are epic, so many characters of both the games(including obscure characters) and from the comic canon.