NEW Muppet Poster

Redsonga

Reaction score
I hope even if the movie poster isn't hand drawn some of the new products made after the new movie will have the classic style drawings used. If there is one thing I remember about the late 80's early 90's it's that the art for many muppets ads and books was wonderful and detailed...

beaker

Reaction score
As a true fan of Henson's work I really cannot enjoy anything that's made under his name and legacy after he's been gone for 20+ years. It's just baffling to me.
Have you seen the 2008-2009 videos online? Most true fans of JH recognize those as some of the finest modern Muppet writing/productions.

But nothing has the sheer horrifying beyond belief you don't know whether to cry or punch a hole in the wall-ness of
Smurfs were always grotesque devilish garbage, and I say that having been around the early 80's original Smurfs hype. Garfield on the other hand has long been a wonderful thing, and it just got ruined with the computer/live action film, dtv cgi films, etc

beaker

Reaction score
There's a LOT of good modern posters.

The Dark Knight, Inception, the new Dark Knight Rises(ok those are all Nolan films)
but also all the Tron posters. The TMNT 2007 film poster. I can think of a lot of amazing film posters.

I however cannot think of one cgi/live action kids movie I liked. Actually most kids/family films of the last decade I cant stand. Even cgi features to me are a mixed bag, the exception being Pixar and the occasional Dreamworks(like MvA)

But yeah theres always camps of fans who prefer "golden years" nostaligia and don't care for modern stuff. I can see that with Star Wars fans.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Smurfs were always grotesque devilish garbage, and I say that having been around the early 80's original Smurfs hype. Garfield on the other hand has long been a wonderful thing, and it just got ruined with the computer/live action film, dtv cgi films, etc
To steal someone's revue of something else entirely...

The Smurfs is something that if you don't like as a kid, you'll never acquire a taste for it as an adult. But then again, I kinda think, retroactively looking at the show and the comics, that Fred Silverman and Hanna Barbera sort of ruined it... not in the destroying the concept to make a idiotic movie for dummies way... more of a making it slightly more American and kid friendly 1980's TV Broadcast Standards and Practices way. I mean, think about it this way... it took over 20 years for the US to get it, and we only got toys first. Then the show came about because the network head's daughter had the toys. Of course, there's some subtle, unexplainable Franco Belgian quality and humor (coming from someone who reads Franco Belgian comics infrequently) that's completely lost... and of course, BS&P would NEVER have let Smurfs punch each other out, like they actually do in the comics.

I kinda feel the same way about TMNT... the cartoon makes everyone think of Cowabunga and pizza and characters that weren't present in the original comics... and NO ONE realizes they were trained by Splinter to be assassins to kill Shredder.

Of course... the 1980's cartoon closest to the original comic source material that wasn't a DC or Marvel comic was... oddly enough, Ducktales... and even then, characters were added and subtracted. Smurfs actually is kinda close, even using some stories from the comics in the first season... but in a cleaned up, American, non-violent kiddy way.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I agree that I could see how someone could hate the 80's cartoon, but count me and the circles of those I grew up with and their parents as people that really loved it. I guess, it's just a taste thing, and it is true that it doesn't change many adult minds leter on if you didn't like it to start with...But not everyone can like the same things :smile:

beaker

Reaction score
Well I can't hate too much; as I still consider Muppet Babies one of the most wonderful things ever put on tv even though I consider it completely separate to the Muppets. I also am in the minority of absolutely loving the short lived Fraggle Rock cartoon. But Im weird, Empire Strikes Back is one of my least favorite Star Wars films while Return of the Jedi and Revenge of the Sith are my two favorites.

scottishpiggy

Reaction score
it reminds me way too much of the poster for Toy Story 3:fishy:
thats obviously disney making a connection that this is a kids movie. They want it to be a hit so are sticking to a form that works. I never did believe disney cared about the muppets - only the cash they could make from them. WHich is sad :frown:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I agree with everything youre saying. Whats more, miss piggy is just....weird.
I know, right? I don't understand how anyone sees a pretty-looking Piggy in that picture. I still think she looks a little bit better in my doctored version, but some people can't tell the difference.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
I know, right? I don't understand how anyone sees a pretty-looking Piggy in that picture. I still think she looks a little bit better in my doctored version, but some people can't tell the difference.
Please stop picking on the puppet designs. It's depressing and annoying.