Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually, I think we maintain the right to be excited about a failed potential future project that we all hope and pray will one day rise like a Phoenix from the ashes or a toe-tickler from a cave as a beautiful butterfly.

Fra:smirk::coy:les F:sigh:rever
As you can plainly see, I have no faith in Henson getting a single project off the ground. I mean, this thread alone is 3 years old! Weinstine sat on this script for forever, so I can't even blame Henson completely... but they just haven't been able to do squat with DC2, HappyTime Murders... and when they get something off the ground, unless it's a CGI kid's show, it lasts a good 5 episodes at BEST! Whatever happened to Late Night Liars? It just disappeared.

Meanwhile, you look at all the progress Disney's had with Muppets. Sure, it was a rocky start with unfinished pilots and the basic ennui of the last head of the branch... but we have viral videos, a Christmas Special, and a MOVIE! Other than 2 TV specials that could never have happened anyway, they've been giving us stuff.

Henson? 2 flop TV shows, 2 Kid's CGI shows, a troupe of live puppet theater, and hundreds of unproduced scripts and movies. Happytime Murders SHOULD have gone forward. It would have been a nice small reminder they're still in the business, AND it had the potential to be a cult Midnight Movie following. I mean, how long has Dark Crystal 2 been in Preproduction? Almost 10 years. It's been one tiny step forward, 8 steps back, then they have to start over from the beginning for 10 whole years!

I WANT a Fraggle Movie! I want to see a reboot of an 80's franchise in film form that DOESN'T suck and reek of jaded poo jokes and various other grotesque things that idiot 50 year olds THINK kids like. But unless Henson finds a partner with vision that actually wants to take a risk on something, this isn't gonna happen.

mjb1124

Reaction score
Whatever happened to Late Night Liars? It just disappeared.
It flopped, plain and simple. I follow GSN's ratings, and when LNL was on, it got very low numbers compared to shows that GSN normally aired in those timeslots, and even brought down the numbers of shows that came on after. And this was in spite of very heavy promotion.

Maybe the show would have worked better on a network like Comedy Central or TBS, as GSN's audience doesn't seem to respond well to "adult" comedy-based shows. It also might have helped if they didn't rerun the show to ridiculous extremes (for one, they aired a repeat of the first episode immediately after it premiered). I personally kinda liked the show, though it seemed a bit too scripted. They seemed to be going for the vibe of classic shows like Match Game and I've Got A Secret, but those shows thrived on off-the-cuff humor.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Laughs at the prospect of GNS having standards... but alright.

Any show that reruns any reruns before the first 5 episodes is just doomed to bad ratings outright.

Now, I can't say LNL was all that good from what I saw (tried too hard in many cases), but it gave Henson a foothold on it's adult project line. And if that proved to be successful, that could have lead to funding for other projects. It didn't. Tinseltown and Late Night were unfocused... they probably would have done better on the web... but then again, no one wanted Late Night Buffet, and we got screwed out of something that actually COULD have stood a chance. And I swear, they should have just dropped everything and focused on Happytime, which wouldn't have made a crap load of blockbuster summer movie money, sure... but it would have been a fun midnight movie that college kids would flock to for years. Scott Pilgrim's become a cult hit, and Universal pretty much pretended the movie didn't exist! You can never tell what will be cult.

Now, I can't blame Henson for Weinstine's incompetence and greedy, but they could have at LEAST got the Doozer show off the ground by themselves. I mean, it might be a hard sell, but I REALLY would rather PBS dump the lousy SuperWhy and give this show a go. They're doing quite well with DinoTrain.