Sesame Street Spoofs coming to DVD July 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Yeah, I hope MC has a review up for this one. They haven't had one for almost a year. But, to be fair, we haven't really gotten a reviewable DVD in that time.
Muppet Central did review the 20th anniversary special (or does that not count because it was released by Lionsgate?). MC should have reviewed C is for Cookie Monster and Silly Storytime (I reviewed Silly Storytime for The Muppet Mindset).

ISNorden

Reaction score
Oooh, sounds like this is worth saving up money for--any hints about which spoofs made the cut?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Oooh, sounds like this is worth saving up money for--any hints about which spoofs made the cut?
Check Muppet Wiki; they have some segments based on the official product description and the cover.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Looking at the list on the Barnes and Noble website, it seems there's some error with the running time on each skit. The first clip, Dragnet, is listed with a :24 second runtime (I'm pretty sure it's longer than that, unless I'm thinking of the wrong clip). Hey Food is listed as over 7 minutes. Somehow I think the :24 mark for the first clip might be referring to a title sequence and the other clips run time being the previous clip/

It's a shame Miami Mice won't be there, unless it's an error (which I hope it is). Also a shame there's no Don Music clips or Placido Flamingo. It's sort of good that we get every Beat the Time segment, though odd that one is part of the main program and the others are bonus features (part of me feels it should have included a variety of game show parodies as bonuses). And I'm pleased to see that three Monsterpiece Theater segments will be part of this (two of which are new-to-DVD and one of which isn't available at sesamestreet.org).

From the looks of it, it looks like most of the clips are arranged in order by season, though The King and I and OOO-Klahoma are listed in reverse order (unless 40 Years of Sunny Days and the "Street We Live On" timeline are wrong). And it looks like disc 1 focuses on seasons 1-24 (well, not season one, and maybe not season two). Though it seems like it skips the majority of the late-1990s and early-2000s.

Too bad the "Super K Cereal" segment is excluded (hopefully it'll be on the upcoming Learning Letters with Elmo release). Part of me hopes there'll be a second volume of spoofs (though with "Volumes 1 & 2" in the title a second volume would be called "Volumes 3 & 4"), as there are so many great parodies not included (and yet most of the non-guest star parodies included in 40 Years of Sunny Days are included here???), but then if we do get some collectible two-disc set next year (here's hoping!) I'd like some other sort of theme used.

It looks like very few parodies with guest stars will be included. The only guest star segments I noticed are Family Food, The O Network, Jon and Kate Plus Eight. It's also odd that, aside from the bonus "Beat the Time: Elmo", there doesn't seem to be any Elmo segments included. I am pleaseantly surprised to see that High 12 will be included (I honestly didn't expect both Forgetful Jones segments that are spoofs to be included in the same set).

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Yes, "Beat the Time" is Elmo's only appearance on this DVD (you'll hear no complaining!). And the Jon & Kate parody is all Muppets, no guest stars.

And yeah, B&N screwed up the running times for both discs.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Judging by how the clip run times are messed up, I assume the time for each clip is the time from the previous clip. I noticed that Colambo and Spaceship Surprise are listed without any indication of which speciffic sketches are included. But going by this jump ahead in clip times, it looks like the Spaceship Surprise clip is the Planet H clip. Looks like that's listed as running 3 minutes and 34 seconds. When I searched YouTube, I found the planet H clip listed as 3 minutes and 35 seconds. It's a second longer, but it's uploaded by Sesame Workshop, and the extra second appears to be from the fade-in/fade-out, which may or may not be on the DVD.

It looks like the Colambo clip has a run time of 3 minutes and four seconds. I didn't find many on YouTube, but saw one with the run time of 3 minutes and 7 seconds (the Little Jack Horner sketch).

Man, just after the contents were posting, I started thinking it would have been great if Sesame Workshop partnered with Amazon to have fans vote on a clip, like they did with the 40th anniversary DVD.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Not a bad group of clips. A lot of double dips from the Old School sets and 40 Years of Sunny Days but there's enough new stuff to make it worth buying. I can't wait for this to come out!

Drtooth

Reaction score
YAY! The list provided confirms one thing I'M THRILLED about...

NO Celeb parodies of their own songs. That stuff's just weak.

Other than that, I still wonder why 2 disks are needed, since it seems both of these come in under 45 minutes a disk (you SO could fit twice that much on there... I have something that has 10 episodes and a bonus other episode of something... 11 half hours on a single disk).

But it sounds very good and I was planning to get it anyway. But ESPECIALLY for the unaired parody of "Let's have too many kids and exploit them for a TV show" Jon and Kate plus 8.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
With this set, it looks like Beat the Time will be the first recurring segment to have every installment on DVD (unless there's some we don't know about). YAY! Not even Elmo's World has every segment available (there's two yet-to-be-released EW segments left).

The three Monsterpiece Theater segments seem to be presented kind of close to each other. Part of that's because of the segments seemingly being presented chronologically, but if I was in charge I'd seperate them a bit further (unless they were all grouped together). With the way the segments are presented, I'd have put in one of the earliest MT segments (like Upstairs, Downstairs or Chariots of Fur), then something from the late-1980s or early 1990s, and then one of the later segments on disc 2. Not really something to complain about, just an observation. And now when this comes out there'll have been six MT segments released altogether!

I hope that Miami Mice will be included as an easter egg. It was mentioned in the first press release, and while it's possible it was just taken out after the annoncement, I could see this being the next "Pinball Number Count on Old School Volume 1". Though with Pinball Number Count, one of those segments had been released on video when the announcements for the first Old School set were made, while none of the Miami Mice segments are available commercially (unless you count the brief clip in the 20th anniversary special) or have even been released online by Sesame Workshop. If it's not included here then I hope Sesame Workshop finds a way to release one of them soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.