The things some "fans" say...

Duke Remington

Reaction score
According to the rumors, Disney stopped doing Mickey's voice when his mother complained about how irritating Mickey sounded. Now, if that's a true story or just something animation students just say is debatable.
That's not true, of course. The only reason why Walt stopped doing Mickey's voice regularly was because Walt became way too busy with his ever-increasing responsibilities around his studio (working on movies, TV shows, Disneyland, etc.) to do voice-over work on a full-time basis.

But frankly, and I always shock the heck out of people when I say this... Wayne Allwine was the BEST Mickey there ever was! He was able to emote. I LOVED the cartoons on Mouseworks and House of Mouse and the Three Musketeers movie. I've always been a Goofy/Donald man myself, but Wayne did something with Mickey. I don't know what (besides emoting), but just... he was amazing. Never heard who he was recast with, though.
I agree that Wayne was the best voice actor Mickey ever had. He brought a lot to Mickey, bringing him into the modern world while maintaining the character's integrity at the same time.

From the bits and pieces that I've heard of Bret Iwan's Mickey voice so far, he sounds pretty good and so far has done the character justice. Even I have had a bit of trouble telling the difference between Wayne's Mickey and Bret's Mickey, even though Bret's Mickey voice is higher pitched than Wayne's.

But I'm guessing half of them who complain still think Brian's Kermit or something...
That seems to be one of the reasons why as well.

The casual fans also don't realize that there's more to a character than just a voice--it's about "performance". Even though Steve's Kermit voice sounds slightly different from Jim's, it's not bad. And most of all, Steve is a great performer as well.

If I had to choose between someone who can perfectly imitate a character's voice but has lousy acting skills and someone who sounds slightly different from the original but knows how to act, I'd choose the latter.

I again apologize for offending anyone. I just don't like it when people bash the current Muppeteers without thinking and they should at least be happy that the characters are still going strong today, even without the original talents.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The casual fans also don't realize that there's more to a character than just a voice--it's about "performance".
I think they do realize that. They just prefer Jim. And perhaps they prefer the time when the Muppet projects were consistently successful.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
hmm im going to agree with Duke...you ask any casual fan im sure most will say brian henson does kermit...i remember when i first went to college and someone was trying to get on my good side by saying that

beaker

Reaction score
With Steve's Kermit, well, I don't know how many times I can possibly tell the story or say a character is a personal thing and many never get recast as a result, but I've accepted him as Kermit for the 21+ years he's been playing him. Unless someone was born in the 1950's, most Muppet fans will have seen Steve as Kermit for most of their natural lives. It is different, and I think for the longest time he was much more comfortable as Rizzo (watch the commentary track on MFS... you'll see what I mean). I mean, with Eric we're really lucky that someone was able to jump into someone else's roles so easily... but with others, it's a slow inner evolution to have the characters fit them and have them fit the characters. They have to be what the character used to be, but make it there own. It's highly respectible.

But I'm guessing half of them who complain still think Brian's Kermit or something...
I admit for the first half of the 90's I thought Steve Whitmire's Kermit was a bit off. But by MT I fully accepted him and havent thought much of it since. Much how I accept Eric has taken over Oz' characters.

But Jim WAS Kermit to me until I was 12, so for most my formative years they were one in the same. However, only a fool would suggest a character be nixed if the performer is no longer able to perform as some fans act like.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
But Jim WAS Kermit to me until I was 12, so for most my formative years they were one in the same. However, only a fool would suggest a character be nixed if the performer is no longer able to perform as some fans act like.
But if some fans honestly prefer Jim's Kermit, that shouldn't mean they're not being a real fan. :wink:

beaker

Reaction score
Oh of course, I was referring to the idea that the character should be permanently retired. I don't see how truly believing that is compatible with being a Muppet fan

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh of course, I was referring to the idea that the character should be permanently retired. I don't see how truly believing that is compatible with being a Muppet fan
Well I'm not saying you have to agree or anything. But look at it from their perspective. When the Marx Brothers retired, should they have just replaced them with new comedians, but kept the same characters?

Duke Remington

Reaction score
Well I'm not saying you have to agree or anything. But look at it from their perspective. When the Marx Brothers retired, should they have just replaced them with new comedians, but kept the same characters?
Now, THAT is a highly-unfair comparison. It's not the same thing.