Me and the Pajanimals - Licensing Expo

beaker

Reaction score
Well James, you basically have a situation where its 2011 and they're using horrible cgi that makes Reboot look like avatar when it comes to that Mickey Mouse and friends or Tigger and Pooh cartoon. Where any sort of magic and imagination of yesteryear(ie: house of mouse, new adv of winnie the pooh, and the amazing timon and pumba show) are long gone. Oh man, The Goofy Movie, another overlooked brilliant 2d gem. Just seems like cheapy cheap cgi cartoons coddling to the lowest common demonator is the norm

I think Bear would still strongly resonate with kids if they gave him another chance on tv. I want to know a clear reason why Disney execs said no

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
If we're talking making new episodes, I'd say cost. It's simply far cheaper to make a run of the mill CGI thing resembling television now.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well James, you basically have a situation where its 2011 and they're using horrible cgi that makes Reboot look like avatar when it comes to that Mickey Mouse and friends or Tigger and Pooh cartoon. Where any sort of magic and imagination of yesteryear(ie: house of mouse, new adv of winnie the pooh, and the amazing timon and pumba show) are long gone. Oh man, The Goofy Movie, another overlooked brilliant 2d gem. Just seems like cheapy cheap cgi cartoons coddling to the lowest common demonator is the norm
The strange thing is, CGI cartoons never have much of a shelf life on American TV unless they're for Preschoolers. Other than Reboot or Jimmy Neutron, I can't think of one that even lasted a single season that wasn't for preschoolers. Unfortunately, flash/after effects type stuff is what I see the most. Some of them use it as a nice short cut to get some fuller animation in there, some just manage to look like a bad student Flash project from 1998. I REALLY wanted to like Cat in the Hat knows a Lot about That, but the kids are emotionless and the animation looks cheap and lazy.

Sigh... I just HATE the fact that Mickey's only major project (outside of a video game and some comic books that will soon end reprinting) is a crummy kiddy CGI Dora clone. I mean, he looks BAD in CGI anyway. And while I applaud the inclusion of Ludwig VonDrake and Pete, they were both in the superior 2-D traditional digital colored House of Mouse and Mouseworks... ah, ToonCity... my favorite Korean outsource animation firm.

Seriously, ever see the TV version of Curious George? That show just looks amazing. I LOVE the animation in that one.

beaker

Reaction score
Oh I love Curious George. I have both Curious George 2 and the Christmas Movie which came to dvd; both have an amazing look. And I love the PBS Curious George cartoon. I find something relaxing about those now and then. Hence why Ive always given high marks to Little Bear, Rupert, and Martha. PBS usually does cartoons well, and real animation.

Best kids animation tv house bar none: moonscoop. evidence: fantastic four cartoon from a couple years ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptiFjvpUq6k
I mean wow, that to me looks better than anything else on tv cartoon wise

Drtooth

Reaction score
Martha IS Flash... but they manage to do something GOOD with it.

What I REALLY hate is SuperWhy. I don't get the appeal, I don't get the point, I don't get the concept. Superheroes going into neutered kid's books to make them even more repressed and babyfied? And the characters look like disgusting bugs. If I had a Superwhy in my back yard, I'd stomp the heck out of it.

Ugly, ugly show.

beaker

Reaction score
I can't dog on flash too much, I just meant the ultra simplistic herky jerky stuff.
I'm currently hard at work on an animated show based on my characters/designs(more like 5-7 minute webisodes for youtube) and Im employing a mix of various styles...but admittedly, I do have to use flash for a lot of stuff. I just am not a fan of that stilted early flash new grounds look that still is around. With the growing popularity of Adventure Time, Regular Show, and people's love of Invader Zim and Rockos Modern Life, I think the time is ripe for a really solid zany series free on youtube rather than traditional tv avenues. To me thats the future. Regular Show would be on youtube if they didnt land a tv deal, as would Adv Time and itd probably still be pretty big.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I want to see TV quality stuff online. Often times I just see the same lame 1980's characters smoking weed or some dumb video game jokes. I wanna see something that's like a television series, maybe not the high production values, but something with a nice involved plot... something that can last at least 10 minutes. RS and AT seem to do a LOT in their 10 minute frame. There's no call that web series can't be the same.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
You basically summed up what I like about things I like to see from YouTube: creative, user-created series. I don't know if you've heard of things like "We Need Girlfriends" (which is like a mini-sitcom) and "New Kids on the Rock" (which has some great, cliched humor), but those kinds of things I want me and my friends to make.

beaker

Reaction score
I want to see TV quality stuff online. Often times I just see the same lame 1980's characters smoking weed or some dumb video game jokes. I wanna see something that's like a television series, maybe not the high production values, but something with a nice involved plot... something that can last at least 10 minutes. RS and AT seem to do a LOT in their 10 minute frame. There's no call that web series can't be the same.
I should probably revise what I said. I really can't be knocking on the simplistic flash look thats the standard in a lot of shows, since I'm now having to learn my way from the bottom up with simple bone rigging and and flash techniques for animation with my own series im doing. I think ultimately if its funny and has unique charm, I guess it doesnt matter what the vehicle is.

But yeah some of the funniest things Ive seen, referring to what Oscarfan said, is user created content

GSmiley2007

Reaction score
To get back on topic, what else did Squacky and Sweetpea Sue do at the expo, Aaron?

And I'm still wondering why Apollo and Cow Bella didn't show up...