"The Muppets" Official Movie Trailer

Frozann

Reaction score
I like it. And the soundtrack in this one sounds great.
Wanda! Mo Frackle! Frackles! (Hey, Blue, where are you?)
Crossed fingers for Mildred and Blue Frackle. They're just as important as Marvin Suggs and Bobby Benson and Lew Zealand (yay! But hey, we already saw them).
Seriously...

DrThundrestix

Reaction score
Now, I have to be nitpicky about this but, I'd feel a LOT more comfortable if Fozzie said "Whoopie shoes" instead...
I was actually thinking the same thing.
It seems like an ill-advised line to me. Yeah, it's silly to have such a big discussion about it... but it is pretty jarring.

The humor itself doesn't seem that out of place for Fozzie. Whoopie cushion shoes is funny, and seems to be an appropriate cheap gag he would go for. It's just the "fart shoes" line that bothered me.
That was what seemed out of place to me.

DrThundrestix

Reaction score
Again, shoulda said Whoopie Shoes... all I'm saying.
I wonder if it wasn't actually changed for the trailer?
That seems like a stretch... but weirder things have been done to trailer footage...

And heck, if they decide that the line is, uh, out of line... it would be a pretty easy fix to dub over.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
i find mildly hilarious and a bit annoying that we as mostly adults and muppet fans have an issue with the word "fart"... we are making such a big deal out of it youd think Fozzie said "hey look Sugar Honey Ice Tea Shoes!"

you dont like it fine...he could said much worse things even for a disney movie...face it these are the silly cheap jokes of today..hear it laugh or dont and let it die

if you notice anywhere else its posted no one cares about that line and just passes it off

Drtooth

Reaction score
One gag about fart shoes won't ruin it for me, but I think "whoopee shoes" would be funnier, more in-character for Fozzie, and more Muppetty in general. It's nowhere near as bad as the nipple gag from MWoO, which honestly makes me cringe, but that was the first thing that came to mind when I saw Fozzie say that line.
The nipples thing was actually a passing joke, almost an out take or blooper that was an ad-lib by Dave. The fact they kept it in is anybody's fault, really. But this movie would REALLY have to be bad to be MOz quality. The nipple joke was just one unfortunate sequence out of many.

The humor itself doesn't seem that out of place for Fozzie. Whoopie cushion shoes is funny, and seems to be an appropriate cheap gag he would go for. It's just the "fart shoes" line that bothered me.
The general consensus is that now. It's not out of character for him to do that, but to say it in that many words. I guess we're far too jaded because every bad kiddy movie since Shrek had to have a generic fart slopped lazily in the script for cheap laughs. I guess that's the joke they're going for, mocking that openly... it barely comes across in the trailer. I can dig a fart if it's CLEVERLY put into a script. Too bad I haven't seen many stuff in the US that did... other than the mine going off in Finding Nemo.

I'm not going to let that ruin the film for me at all, though. Whoopie shoes would have been more in character, though.

All and all, there is ONE thing I'm glad the trailer doesn't have... that "(Name of character) was a normal guy until something happened" trash. I openly despise that. I give the trailer a billiondy points for not doing that.

DrThundrestix

Reaction score
This movie seems to follow a different formula than the "standard Muppet movie," in that, the film itself shows the characters in their own universe, as opposed to obviously being characters in a film.

Fourth wall breaks would be a bit weird in a "this is real life, not a self-aware movie," movie.

The formula change isn't necessarily a bad thing, I just hope it doesn't come off poorly.
I think no matter what happens, some people will be disappointed with the film. You can't please everyone.
Some will be purists and criticize that "this isn't the way the Muppets used to be," and others will welcome the new and criticize clinging to and relying on old ideas so desperately. And, I suppose all the grey area between those.

The Muppets aren't what they used to be. They can't be. As with all things, they change and evolve with time. Their creative drive is coming from different places, some performers have changed, and all of these new people have their own points of view and senses of humor which will come through, like-it-or-not.

They can't quite be what they used to be, but that doesn't need to be a sore point.

beaker

Reaction score
Wow, some people are getting hung over a quick fart joke, seriously? The real issue is that almost the entire trailer hangs like a rancid fart in the air. I mean that electrocution thing is just all wrong. Not funny, out of character, just bad form. There's no build up, just a wildly slap-dash squirt of tv special quality lovey dovey Adams/Segal scenes with most the trailer on flashes of random Muppet stuff in the theater(which is fine) but we have no idea why they are there, what their struggle is, etc.

Come on folks, am I the only one here taken aback by the sloppiness on display here?
This was not a normal trailer...even bad trailers explain things in 2 minutes and 10 seconds. People would have loved seeing where the Muppets have ended up (anger management, janitor, etc) No explanation, those voices at the beginning were unusually off...

I did like the robot driver thing and the car/theater scene. Though people will probably see those fake gangster Moopets and say "geez, what happened". This trailer just rubs me the wrong way, and it's a shame they went with this trailer...and I HOPE it's not an indication of the final product. Because yeah, I loved seeing MFS on the big screen to see the muppets...but a muppet film after all this time cant exist purely on that level either.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They can't quite be what they used to be, but that doesn't need to be a sore point.
I hate the fact that people don't realize that when someone who created and drove a creation is gone of course quality and their original stance goes with them. Happened with Disney, happened with the Looney Tunes. You can never get back that special thing, but that DOESN'T mean you can't try and get as close to it as possible.

I hate when people start whining about how terrible new stuff is and why don't they have X characters back... and when they do, they start whining about how terrible they are. I've read ONE too many YT comment. Every freaking generation thinks their cartoons are the end all be all, especially when some of the cartoons they praise just completely suck from a critical stance.

I ALWAYS am looking for something new, whether it be good or bad (within reason), at least I know someone's trying. I will not hold it to the same high esteem as something else, but I won't dismiss it until I give something a chance.

I don't see this movie that much of a format change. Quite the opposite, they're going backward! All the best Muppet movies were classic old school movie standbys. The Muppet Movie? A road picture. GMC should be obvious, plus the musical aspect as well. MTM, the standard getting to Broadway type film. Even FTB was sort of a road picture with a great search for someone. This film is a classic "Let's save the day by putting on a show" plot line. If nothing else, they managed to get it right by having the Muppets do an old standby. Not some labored retelling of a fairy tale, not an origin story, not a loose series of holiday based parodies... a general movie trope.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
Come on folks, am I the only one here taken aback by the sloppiness on display here?
This was not a normal trailer...even bad trailers explain things in 2 minutes and 10 seconds. People would have loved seeing where the Muppets have ended up (anger management, janitor, etc) No explanation, those voices at the beginning were unusually off...
while i mostly usually always agree with your posts this time i must disagree, if only for the idea that i feel trailers show to much these days..many times ive watched trailers and then gone and seen the movie only to not be surprised because the trailers ruined parts for me