Patterns

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
You can absolutely find very similar patterns in other places. Their sock puppet pattern is very similar to the "Kermit head" pattern that has been floating around for years. The advantage with Project Puppet is that the patterns and instructions are very easy to follow and they remove almost all of the guess work.

Animal31

Reaction score
You can absolutely find very similar patterns in other places. Their sock puppet pattern is very similar to the "Kermit head" pattern that has been floating around for years. The advantage with Project Puppet is that the patterns and instructions are very easy to follow and they remove almost all of the guess work.
I noticed on the melon head pattern (and maybe the sock puppet as well) they actually sew the mouth fabric to the fabric head before turning rightside out and adding the inner skull. This was also used in a YouTube video series about building a Kermit. I have always glued the felt to the mouthplate and then glued the fabric around the mouth once the foam skull was in place. Has anyone else used this method instead of glue, and if so, how well does it work where the fabric is loose from the mouth plate?

Thanks!

spcglider

Reaction score
One of the most important things to keep in mind, especially if you're just starting, is that its okay to just build a test puppet first. I always do. Its just an exercise in getting to know the pattern and how to put it together. When a seamstress is doing a new, unfamiliar pattern she'll typically try it out using muslin or something similar so she gets to know how its supposed to go together before she starts cutting up the "good" fabric.

So, before you get all involved in trying to hit a home-run on your first time at the plate, take a few warm-up swings first. You'll be glad you did.

-Gordon

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
I have another question about the puppet patterns from Project Puppet. Can anyone tell me the difference between their basic series and their forma series. At a glance the Forma series sounds more in depth than the basic series. But looking at what's included it almost sounds like the same kinda thing as it still comes with a pattern and everything. Does anyone know?

Goochman

Reaction score
my understanding is that the forma series are much larger puppets

Puppetainer

Reaction score
I have another question about the puppet patterns from Project Puppet. Can anyone tell me the difference between their basic series and their forma series. At a glance the Forma series sounds more in depth than the basic series. But looking at what's included it almost sounds like the same kinda thing as it still comes with a pattern and everything. Does anyone know?
Well they are the same sort of thing in that both include a pattern and lots of detailed instructions with helpful photographs. You are also correct in your understanding that the Forma series are a bit more in depth. As the Project Puppet website states a Simple Series puppet will likely be completed in a matter of hours whereas a Forma Series puppet will probably need a couple of days to finish. Also the Simple Series puppets are designed with a neck that is directly attached to the body of the puppet whereas the Forma Series shows you how to build a puppet whose neck is instead sewn to a sleeve that runs through the puppet body and is attached at the bottom.

And it is true that a Forma Series puppet will be a bit larger. For me the difference is about 16 inches for the Simple Series compared to 20 inches for the Forma. But I've modified the Simple Series pattern a bit so it may be somewhat shorter going by the original pattern. No shorter than 14 inches I'm sure.
The Simple Series pattern includes a pattern for arms and hands but each of the Forma Series patterns have excellent instructions for making bendable fingers. I especially like the instructions with the Punto Pattern as they also include an excellent method for allowing removable arm rods in your design.

The instructions for handling fur that Goochman mentioned actually come with either of the two Monster Series patterns.
Hope that was helpful!

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
I completed him- gave him away.

In my last video I explain why that puppet doesn't show up...when I tried to transfer all my footage from my old computer to my new computer it seemed like it transferred fine. When I went to edit the material I found some of the footage had not transferred properly and I got an error code. So I basically had to shoot the whole process over again...was I a happy camper LOL

Needless to say the new puppet is not as good but as long as the process of building it is not lost. I think the Grey Monster looked better because I matted his fur- I really like that look and it fit his character perfectly.