The Muppets Should Host the 2012 Oscars

sarahspy

Reaction score

Canadian Fan

Reaction score
I joined and I had also joined the page 'The Two Old Men From The Muppets Should Be The New Judges On American Idol'.

If the Muppets did host the Oscars, I'd definitely watch for sure.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Well, basically The Muppets should host everything on TV.:smile::big_grin::excited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
No nonononono! And have everyone complain how they don't stack up to everyone else that they complain don't stack up to?

It's a dubious distinction. It's like, does anyone want to be the one to host the Oscars? You either have people complain that someone's too wacky off the wall and won't sit down and shut up, then you have someone that's too stiff and emotionless... you have someone that takes a joke too far, then you have someone that's completely too safe and doesn't take anything far enough.... you have someone that appeals to the younger crowd and the old people complain about them pandering to the youngin's, then you have someone too old and the young crowd complains they're out of touch. Robin Williams is apparently "not funny anymore." Everyone's like "Billy Chrystal? EEEWWW."

Apparently no one... no one in the history of mankind is good enough to host the Oscars and we wind up hearing complaints about it over and over and over.

So, Muppets presenting an award, fine... Muppets doing something funny onstage instead of lame musical numbers? Go ahead... have Statler and Waldorf comment on the balcony about onstage action. Just don't let them host or we'll hear a mouthful about how "bad" they were.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I want it, though I agree with Drtooth reluctantly. It'd be awesome to have what amounts to a large-scale Muppet Show. On the other hand ... well, I would have to trust the writers of the Muppets to come up with good ways to deal with problems I have with the Oscars in the first place, and I don't know if I'm ready to commit to that level of trust. I'd have to see the movie first to see if the current stuff is good.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Everyone's like "Billy Chrystal? EEEWWW."
Personally I loved Billy Crystal hosted the Oscars, lol.

And I liked that Ricky Gervais ruffled some feathers at The Golden Globes. The Hollywood crowd can dish it but they can't take it, it seems. :wink:

As for the Muppets hosting, years ago I would have loved the idea. Nowadays, I just don't have the trust that I used to. ::shrugs::

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I know the Muppets have done live appearances countless times, but could they easily host a live show that lasts more than 3 hours?

Maybe it would be better if the Muppets hosted a parody of the Oscars. Make it a TV or direct-to-video special, have it last two hours, have the nominations be Muppet parodies of actual films. That might be more feasible. Whenever there's a long acceptance speech, they could have the winner either get blown up by Crazy Harry or eaten by a monster.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Personally I loved Billy Crystal hosted the Oscars, lol.

And I liked that Ricky Gervais ruffled some feathers at The Golden Globes. The Hollywood crowd can dish it but they can't take it, it seems. :wink:
It's one of those things... some classic comedian becomes "annoying" by double standards for some reason, and then no one likes them because they want to be as hip as possible. Sort of like when you're a kid, and they start saying something everyone liked a month ago is... well, some slur of some kind. Bad. Lemme just say that. Basically they only dislike people like that because they think they have to. So today's classic comedians are annoying and unfunny because they think they are.

I still freakin' love Robin Williams.

As for Ricky. Again, they whine when things are too bland, but when something goes "too far" they cry and shout and blacklist everybody. Dude said what everyone was thinking. Dude said what South Park, Family Guy, and all those others would have said about them years ago. Ruffling feathers equals RATINGS! Rights for rebroadcasts on news stations and the internet on official sites. Let everyone shoot their mouths off... we're a society that LOVES celebrities shooting their mouths off. Look at how the vultures at TMZ are treating Charlie Sheen... like that homeless crazy guy kids only talk to for a cheap laugh.

dwmckim

Reaction score
I think they could do it and pull it off well...there would have to be a lot of extra planning that goes into the ceremony than would there typically would be...technical stuff like cameras and lighting would be even more ramped up...and i think there would still need to be a human co-host to take some of the pressure and physical strain off of the Muppeteers helming a three hour live show.

The big question is would NATAS allow them to? Would there hosting the '12 show be considered too close to a self-promotion to a movie that could be up for the same awards being given out and how much do they feel it may sway voters? It would be awesome to see happen but the people in charge of that decision may not be so easily won over.

What i could see even more realistically is some kind of pre-show special starring the Muppets.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It's one of those things... some classic comedian becomes "annoying" by double standards for some reason, and then no one likes them because they want to be as hip as possible.
Yeah exactly, you don't want to be labeled as the moron who still likes someone when the rest of pop culture has turned on them. But EVERY comedian goes through that, so at point you just have to make up your own mind, hehe.

As for Ricky. Dude said what everyone was thinking. Dude said what South Park, Family Guy, and all those others would have said about them years ago.
Yeah it always amused me how offended celebrities would get at South Park. Again, they can't take it when it's directed at them. :stick_out_tongue:

Look at how the vultures at TMZ are treating Charlie Sheen... like that homeless crazy guy kids only talk to for a cheap laugh.
Well to be fair, Sheen's not that far off.