Hasbro's Sesame line to be unveiled at Toy Fare

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Off-topic question, but my comp keeps crashing when I click on the link... What monsters were in that Scooby-Doo line?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, there's a difference... there were by far more of these released in the UK than the US... but off hand, Frankenstein, a Zombie, the Creeper, a large fish Seamonster (I lost the back for the packages, and I forget the specific name) and there could be one more, but he's sold with a large playset I think. I only have abot 2 or 3 of the monsters (I have to check) but I do also have Velma and Shaggy... both were sold with a Scooby variant. I know Fred and Dapnhe are only with playsets and cars... but those are the ones currently sold in the US.

Now, in the UK, I know they have a pirate ship playset that comes with Redbeard and some ghost pirates. And a few others. I saw the back of a playset and it said Dracula was available, but I never saw him. And they have blind package figures that come in tubs of slime that glow in the dark.

The link was just a company made UK commercial by the way. It didn't mention anyone specific.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I didn't notice this until it was pointed out on the tough pigs message board, and didn't see anybody mention it here... But there's actually going to be a Murray plush!

http://www.toughpigs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/toyfair11-9.JPG

He's on the shelf on the left, at the very end on the left. His head looks too round, but I guess we shouldn't complain about how a Murray plush looks.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Before I comment on that,
There's also a presentation with ACTUAL Cookie Monster and Elmo

But SWEET! A Murray plush too. I was hoping to see Murray stuff at some point. After all, guy's on every episode, and one of the coolest looking Muppets on the show we've seen in some time. And a Bert too. We didn't even have a Bert in Fisher Price's 40 years assortment.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
But SWEET! A Murray plush too. I was hoping to see Murray stuff at some point. After all, guy's on every episode, and one of the coolest looking Muppets on the show we've seen in some time.
It's still a shame that we had to wait until the license got picked up by a company that cares to get all the main characters released.

Puckrox

Reaction score
This further proves that all my favorite Elmo moments are when Elmo's in an interview of some sorts (my favorite is still when Kevin and Dave had Elmo and Gonzo conversing). Lots of great Elmo soundbites in this one. "Maybe he saw Cookie with the Dude on Saturday Night Love." and "Hasbro? Well excuse Elmo." My favorite was when the guy said, "Well, what I can I say, I love my bath toys." And then Elmo just staaaared at him for a moment until he said "...Okay..." I cracked up.

And Cookie was great too, as always. :insatiable:

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's still a shame that we had to wait until the license got picked up by a company that cares to get all the main characters released.
It makes me wonder.

The Mattel license was set to expire just after the 40th anniversary, which makes me wonder if that was any reason it was so lackluster (see Hit's partnership ending and Fraggle Rock the COmplete Series). I think that towards the end of the line, they started branching out with the plush line, the (overpriced as heck) die cast cars and the Collect-a-pal line (I'm still missing Ernie and Cookie... don't know if I want to bother with Abby or Elmo). But with them it was all, Talking Elmo, Talking Elmo, Talking Elmo. I think the Elmo live was a huge blunder... 2 reasons... I don't think anyone was ready for that advancement in kid's toys... and secondly, a 70 dollar retail tag wouldn't have been so bad if the recession didn't sink in uh-j-j-just as the thing came out. The Tickle Me hands were a cry for help.

Yet, they did have a Snuffy/Big Bird singing plush set... so things were improving a little.

Again, Hasbro is obsessive/compulsively completest with Star Wars right down to the fat chick with 3 bussoms who appeared for 5 seconds if you get the letterbox version and it's at the corner of your eye. They don't have quite the hang ups of character releasing that Mattel does. Now, again, I think they do a good job with collector's lines like the DC Universe and that expensive stuff they sell online... but they only tend to do variants of popular characters without a line of more obscure ones. Their kid's Batman lines had nothing but Batman in random suits he never wore on the show... and again, they have a bug in their bonnets about releasing females in a "boys" line. So you can't even round out the cast.

Hasbro, the creators of Arcee and The Baroness, don't have that hang up as much. And that means we'll see more Zoe and Abby stuff... maybe Rosita down the line.

beaker

Reaction score
I didn't notice this until it was pointed out on the tough pigs message board, and didn't see anybody mention it here... But there's actually going to be a Murray plush!

http://www.toughpigs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/toyfair11-9.JPG

He's on the shelf on the left, at the very end on the left. His head looks too round, but I guess we shouldn't complain about how a Murray plush looks.
*faints* A Murray figure AND a Murray plush. I'm in heaven:smile:
This definitely helps balance out the disgust I feel regarding how virtually all Fisher Price stuff
was the same gosh awful infant stuff.

beaker

Reaction score
This further proves that all my favorite Elmo moments are when Elmo's in an interview of some sorts (my favorite is still when Kevin and Dave had Elmo and Gonzo conversing). Lots of great Elmo soundbites in this one. "Maybe he saw Cookie with the Dude on Saturday Night Love." and "Hasbro? Well excuse Elmo." My favorite was when the guy said, "Well, what I can I say, I love my bath toys." And then Elmo just staaaared at him for a moment until he said "...Okay..." I cracked up.

And Cookie was great too, as always. :insatiable:
Kevin Clash is simply a master when it comes to improv in a live setting. It's simply uncanny. And it's so great to see so much Cookie...from Colbert and Rocket Boom to SNL and that chef show the other night

beaker

Reaction score
It makes me wonder.

The Mattel license was set to expire just after the 40th anniversary, which makes me wonder if that was any reason it was so lackluster (see Hit's partnership ending and Fraggle Rock the COmplete Series). I think that towards the end of the line, they started branching out with the plush line, the (overpriced as heck) die cast cars and the Collect-a-pal line (I'm still missing Ernie and Cookie... don't know if I want to bother with Abby or Elmo). But with them it was all, Talking Elmo, Talking Elmo, Talking Elmo. I think the Elmo live was a huge blunder... 2 reasons... I don't think anyone was ready for that advancement in kid's toys... and secondly, a 70 dollar retail tag wouldn't have been so bad if the recession didn't sink in uh-j-j-just as the thing came out. The Tickle Me hands were a cry for help.

Yet, they did have a Snuffy/Big Bird singing plush set... so things were improving a little.

Again, Hasbro is obsessive/compulsively completest with Star Wars right down to the fat chick with 3 bussoms who appeared for 5 seconds if you get the letterbox version and it's at the corner of your eye. They don't have quite the hang ups of character releasing that Mattel does. Now, again, I think they do a good job with collector's lines like the DC Universe and that expensive stuff they sell online... but they only tend to do variants of popular characters without a line of more obscure ones. Their kid's Batman lines had nothing but Batman in random suits he never wore on the show... and again, they have a bug in their bonnets about releasing females in a "boys" line. So you can't even round out the cast.

Hasbro, the creators of Arcee and The Baroness, don't have that hang up as much. And that means we'll see more Zoe and Abby stuff... maybe Rosita down the line.
Yeah Fisher Price just sucked. Period. Why was it in their short licence span, Tyco was able to deliver a wealth of great Sesame products(they even made a Martian figure! And a sweet anniversary pvc set)
No reason why we can't have 4" poseable action figures of an endless array of Sesame characters.

I do not know how serious Star Wars collectors do it...money, time or room wise...but yeah, we've seen just about every single possible character turned into a figure, ones that we barely saw for a split second. All the stuff from the walkup to Star Tours even...they've exhausted making virtually every movie, comic book and video game character that now they're just making up random characters it feels like, and then rereleasing the entire trilogy line again in new detail. The Clone Wars is where the newest characters are coming from, some great sculpts. But I havent been a big SW fan or collector in years...but hats off!

I just wish Hasbro would get obsessive about releasing collector Market Sesame action figures! I want a Hoots someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.