The Jim Henson Company Puppets to perform at the 2011 Grammys

Puckrox

Reaction score
I finally got around to watching the performance. I thought it was pretty great. I thought the puppets were a nice touch. Quite honestly though, I prefer the noncensored version of the song. "Forget" is two syllables, as opposed to the actual word, so you have to cram it in there to make the verse work. Plus, honestly, the song is more fun to belt out with the profanity. But that's my own personal opinion.

But, yeah, it was a great, colorful performance. :smile:

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I think it remains to be seen. :wink: Again, no offence. :smile:

It's not that I don't want them to move forward. It's just that following the latest fads and gaining some publicity does not automatically equal moving forward.
Not offended at all. But I disagree, the Muppets these days rely on trying to be hip and going with famous trend, etc. so this was just another rung on the ladder for them. They have a movie coming out at the end of the year that they have been trying to promote like crazy, but the reality is, it's going to go nowhere if they just rely on the diehard fans like us here. They need to appeal to a WIDE audience which was something that made them successful in the first place and took off big time with the Muppet Show.

Their being on the Grammys was another step towards accomplishing that. Because the sad part is, in most people's minds today, Jim Henson and the Muppets have either not had the appeal they used to back in their heyday or have been kind of forgotten in the general public's mind. So for them to be on a HUGE awards show performing with a popular singer can only be a step forward. I wouldn't exactly say Cee-Lo is a "fad". either. He had another huge single with his group Gnarls Barkley "Crazy" back in 2006. That's four years ago already. And that song had massive radio airplay on all different kinds of crossover radio stations to the point where my mom who doesn't like anything out today LOVED that song and that's the same type of cross promoting the Muppets are trying to get by having them do this kind of appearance.

anytimepally

Reaction score
Agreed. But at the same time, the world is only as we make it and only what we're willing to fight for. Nothing will change if we just turn if off and ignore it.
For the world in general, I agree. But for television, of course it will change if we turn it off and ignore it. If no one's watching, there's no money to be made, and it's all about money. So television companies would be forced to come up with something that we won't turn off and will make money for them.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I think this Grammys spot was a great idea that elevated Henson back into the current public consciousness at a time when they're also planning to shoot their new puppet noir film...and it was a lot of fun too. Thinking anything more than that is over thinking. You can't always tell which star is going to be flavor of the month and which one will endure. Talent isn't always the indicator. Either way, this was performed in front of a worldwide television audience and a room full of fantastic recording artists. Nothing about this music sketch cheapened the Henson name. In fact, it was the highlight of the night that rebranded a song already strongly solidified in the public mind. This was an A+ effort. :super:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Not offended at all. But I disagree, the Muppets these days rely on trying to be hip and going with famous trend, etc.
That's a problem that a lot of franchises deal with after they've been around for so long, not just the Muppets.

I've said it before, but there's difference between character development, and changing a character's personality: with character development, a character grows from the events that it's seen in it's environment, whereas changing a character's personality is just that, it's something that's forced because the mindset that if they don't, they won't appeal to today's audiences.

That said, I know that the Muppets aren't looked upon as "characters" so much, but again, this is a generalization for a lot of franchises that have been around for 30, 40, 50+ years or so.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Because the sad part is, in most people's minds today, Jim Henson and the Muppets have either not had the appeal they used to back in their heyday or have been kind of forgotten in the general public's mind .
I don't agree and I think this is part of the problem. The Muppets have continually pushed aside their best work, assuming it was "too old" for today's audiences. It's not that today's audiences don't like it or have forgotten it. They barely get a chance to see it! Instead the Muppets try to be hip and trendy, and not matching the quality of their earlier work. Then when no one pays attention, they fall back on "oh well the Muppets are too retro, we have to reinvent again!" And again reinventing doesn't work.

I don't think I've ever seen a franchise that has so irrationally distanced itself so far from its best work and so stubbornly insisted their new plan was working when it isn't! I love the Muppets, but they have no one to blame but themselves for the state that they're in.

But for television, of course it will change if we turn it off and ignore it. If no one's watching, there's no money to be made, and it's all about money. So television companies would be forced to come up with something that we won't turn off and will make money for them.
You definitely have a good point. Though I'm concerned that the trend is still going to be Reality TV simply because it's cheaper to make.

dollywaggler

Reaction score
Victor performed one of the back-up singers. Julianne Buescher performed Piddles. Drew Massey and Alice Dinnean were the other back-up singers.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Dolly Waggler! Love it! That's got to be my fave name i've seen here for quite some time!