The new Muppet movie: Next Year's Yogi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh and I'm also hearing the title of the movie is "The Muppets Movie" and I'm wondering, is this true? Are they not even trying to be creative anymore?
I have to admit that idea puzzles me. As other users have said, it will end up getting confused with the original "The Muppet Movie."

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I think I'm just going to walk out of this thread after this post. I refuse to get involved in an argument with someone who cuts down and verbally abuses the immensely talented performers who have carried and continue to carry on the legacy of Jim Henson every day. Say what you will about the projects, but insulting dedicated, hard-working, and talented people who try their hardest to please people like us... is a line that Jim himself would have never crossed.

Frogster

Reaction score
Jeez, I think someone needs to spend less time on this site. I'm not insulting that aspect of the Muppets anyways. I'm insulting the people who have continually tried conforming to what people of today THINK the Muppets should be like, instead of trying to fix something that isn't broken. And you act like these people's performances and credits rival people like Oz and Juhl. The fact is, they're slightly above average puppeteers who got lucky enough to work for the greatest puppet franchise in history.

Relax, Slim... sorry I'm not one of those MC members who has the time to list every background character in the "Bohemian Rhapsody" video or blind dedication to every single Muppet project out there. This isn't pessimism, it's me giving a perspective from outside the Muppet world. We're not the only people going to see this movie, because if we were, it wouldn't do very well.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
instead of trying to fix something that isn't broken.
That has been my concern as well. It's not too late, I mean it took Disney two decades to get their act together again. It is possible that this new project could break the pattern. I really can't say much else until I actually see the movie.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Don’t get me started on Letters to Santa. That was a sad excuse for a Christmas special, and if you noticed that Gonzo was essentially the main character, it’s because David’s been around the longest and he’s one of the few that still performs his own character. You’re not gonna see a movie or special focused on Fozzie for quite a while. Now obviously I’m just giving my opinion as a fan, which is biased. To the general public, it was “meh”.
I'm going to tell you what our theater directors tell us: "Seniority doesn't matter." It could have starred Kermit or Fozzie or even Robin, but they chose Gonzo because it (semi) worked. It's not because Dave's the oldest one around and deserved his own special.

EDIT: "And you act like these people's performances and credits rival people like Oz and Juhl. The fact is, they're slightly above average puppeteers who got lucky enough to work for the greatest puppet franchise in history."

Sorry to say, but that's a nasty thing to say, no matter whether or not you call it an insult.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score

Drtooth

Reaction score
So, I'm the only one slightly worried by that terrible sounding Arthur Christmas movie cutting into this movie's potential BO? I'm sorry, but really... I am GLAD they didn't have any Christmas movies this year. I have yet to see one that's measurably good that was released in the past 10 years. And lemme guess, the elf is an outcast who gets mocked until he winds up saving Christmas by thinking differently, right? And at the end, they can all dance around to pop music. YAY!

I'm gonna throw up now...

Almost makes me hunger for the minus minded slasher flicks they cough up on Halloween.

Jeez, I think someone needs to spend less time on this site. I'm not insulting that aspect of the Muppets anyways. I'm insulting the people who have continually tried conforming to what people of today THINK the Muppets should be like, instead of trying to fix something that isn't broken. And you act like these people's performances and credits rival people like Oz and Juhl. The fact is, they're slightly above average puppeteers who got lucky enough to work for the greatest puppet franchise in history.
I'm gonna agree with everyone else. That is pretty much a horrid thing to say. Sure, there might be a point in that somewhere... but then of course, there are many of us that actually accept the fact that Jim, Richard, Juhl and a bunch of others are gone, either passed or retired. Calling them lucky is complete and utter bull, and you know it. It's SHOW business, and no matter how nice someone involved is, it's almost impossible to get anywhere. Let's not forget the dozens of other puppeteers who spend most of their careers as someone's other arm who never get the chance to do a voice, let alone audition to perform a character. It's NOT an easy thing. I'd say the Muppets (especially Sesame Street) is far more lucky than these new recasts. Rudman as Scooter? Rudman's been with the Muppets since Jim was there. I admit, there's a little offness in Eric's Piggy... but if you look at the last movies Frank played Piggy in (or at least relooped dialogue in) the character was essentially becoming like that ANYWAY.

Of course, we don't think they "rival" anyone. I just wanna see a solid effort that brings the characters back into the spotlight without turning them into what a 50 year old white guy thinks is "anime" or has references to everything that happened in the last year every 5 minutes.

And that's what ticks me off more than anything.

"Waaah! I hate all the new characters! Bring the old ones back! Oh, That's what they sound like? WAAAA!" It's ONE or the other. Jim didn't want to permanently mothball everything, only pulling it out for merchandise, like Schulz did. You ever see any of those posthumous Peanuts specials? They're enjoyable to an extent, but since they're forcibly based off of old strips, they're rigid and lack rewatch-ability.

And if we're going on a "General Public" kick... oooohh the stuff I could say. "Duh... we don' wanna pay taxes, but we freak out when anything's cut! OOOH! Survivor should ALWAYS still be on, as should the Bachelor." Not really playing with a full deck of cards, those ones.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
"Waaah! I hate all the new characters! Bring the old ones back! Oh, That's what they sound like? WAAAA!" It's ONE or the other. Jim didn't want to permanently mothball everything, only pulling it out for merchandise, like Schulz did. You ever see any of those posthumous Peanuts specials? They're enjoyable to an extent, but since they're forcibly based off of old strips, they're rigid and lack rewatch-ability.
I don't agree that the only alternative to new projects is to keep the franchise in mothballs. The posthumous Peanuts specials weren't duds because they tried to be like the old strips. They were disasters because they tried to be so different from the old strips. They would have been successful if they HAD been like the originals.

The Peanuts remain popular because their original specials can still be seen. Not because they keep attempting new projects. That's what has been the problem with the Muppets. This idea that wanting their past best work to come first is somehow wrong.

I wouldn't be saying this if the projects from the '90s had been successes. But they weren't. If something's not working you don't keep trying it again and again because you're convinced it's right. What counts in the business is whether you're just coming off a success. If you're not, sometimes you need to look inward at what you can be doing differently.

Of course I agree there's no point in blaming the performers.

Status
Not open for further replies.