What are the highest quality Fraggle plush?

lotusoftheleaf

Reaction score
I'm going to buy some Fraggle plushes and I'd like to buy just one set. So far, I'm looking at the Manhattan Toys ones simply because it's the only set I've seen that includes poor, forgotten Mokey. :cry:

These will be the first Fraggle plushes I buy, so I thought I'd ask some people who own them already what is the best quality line of the plushes? By that, I mean which plushes are best constructed and which resemble the actual Muppet Fraggles best.

Quazimoto

Reaction score
You'll probably get a few different opinions on this topic, but let me offer mine...

Personally, I like the Hasbro Softies line of Fraggle Plushes from the mid 80s. Yes, they do have the gaping mouth thing, but they are also made from quality materials and IMO, truly capture the fun-filled spirit of the Fraggles.

The Hasbro line includes the main Fraggle five, Uncle Traveling Matt, and two doozers. Some of the dolls are a bit difficult to come by and can get kind of expensive, but worth it. At least to me.

You might also consider the TOMY Sprocket from the 80s. Again, kind of hard to come by and expensive when you do, but one like into his loveable eyes and you'll be bidding up a storm.

As far as other versions of Fraggle Dolls. The Tomy plushes are relatively easy to come by, save for Mokey and Sprocket (and Uncle Matt to include his original hat, pack, and boots, which seem to be missing often). TOMY has the distinction of being closet to the real thing in terms of materials used to created the dolls. However, their heads seem quite small in relation to their bodies.

The relatively recent Sabbaba plushes are pretty good as well, but there's not Mokey, Uncle Matt, or Sprocket available.

The Manhattan Toys versions are pretty good overall, but each character has been a bit off in some ways. Not bad for the most part, but just lacking that extra magic that screams Fraggle Rock. That said, if I were to buy a second set myself (I do have the entire Hasbro Softies line + a TOMY Sprocket), which I do plan on doing one day, the Manhattan Toys versions are the ones I'd get.

Hope that helps a bit.

beakerfan76

Reaction score
Since toys are an area I specialize in, I feel I should give my two cents.

From my personal experience, I've only had a Sababa plush and Manhattan Toy one. They were both decent, each with their own quirks about them. That said, Sababa hit just a few more notes than MT. They got a few more details right than the others. Of course, I'm only talking about modern plushes.

Some people prefer the older ones, more importantly, the Hasbro Softies line. Gaping mouths aside, I view them as an accurate model of the Fraggles. I'm sure there's a way to fix the mouth issue, but it isn't a real deal breaker. Besides, most of the likes are from nostalgia, people who might have had one of these when they were younger. I never had that luxury of being young in the 80's.

Tomy deserves a mention as well, since they were the first company to make Fraggle toys. Honestly, it was a strong effort, but they were disproportionate and the material, though most accurate to the real puppets, could get ruined easily.

Therefore, my preference to Sababa still stands, but if you can get another company's product for less, especially if it's older, go for it! MT's output is a bit overpriced by my standards anyway.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
I have a question about the Manhattan Wembley doll. In the pictures I've seen his nose looks the same as all the other fraggles, not the knobby "different" nose that the character has. Is this just the picture angle and the plush really look right or does the plush look like the picture (if that sentence made sense to anyone?)

lotusoftheleaf

Reaction score
That was something I was wondering too, since every picture of the Manhattan Toy plushes I've seen is the exact same one. I did a Google image search and after looking through the same images many times (as well as some random images Google thought had something to do with Fraggle Rock, like a man in a donkey suit...) I found an image that shows the Wembley plush at an angle that lets us have a good look at the shape of his nose.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_9vmLarnfbgw/S3ritBHUjbI/AAAAAAAADLs/M1I9aoGeLpw/IMG_6890.JPG

I think he looks awesome and adorable, which is great because he was the first fraggle I intended to buy. Boober looks like his hair should be a little longer in front or something. I mean, I know the puppet doesn't have eyes, but his hair's supposed to kind of conceal that fact.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
Ah, much better. I guess Wembley looks okay. That picture certainly gives a better vantage point of his profile in my mind. Thanks for finding it.

lotusoftheleaf

Reaction score
You're welcome, Gonzo's Hobbit. :smile:

Well, I just went ahead and order myself a Wembley. I decided to go with the Manhattan Toy plush because they're easy to find. The Sababa ones looked awfully nice too, but I absolutely must have all five of the main fraggles so no Mokey was a deal breaker. He was a little expensive but I have a $75 rebate card that's burning a hole in my pocket.

Wembley should arrive at my house Monday at the latest. Maybe I'll take some pictures of him so anyone else interested can see him in more than just the same ol' pose. I'm sure I'll love him because, well, he's Wembley. How could I not? :coy:

Oh, and thanks to everyone who provided me info!

beakerfan76

Reaction score
It's always a pleasure. Just remember pics can be deceiving, like when I got Mokey. The real life counterpart is better than the stock image, though her hair could be a bit longer, much like Boober.

Have fun with Wembley, anyway. I always liked him myself.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ah, much better. I guess Wembley looks okay. That picture certainly gives a better vantage point of his profile in my mind. Thanks for finding it.
I've seen some of these at actual stores (not the easiest ones to find, since they're only available in educational stores in higher end neighborhoods), and they actually look pretty good in reality. Though, The Red is probably the best looking of the bunch. If some of the colors on the other characters weren't so off, things would be perfect... I'm really not a fan of the too dark red violet Gobo hair... I still haven't seen Mokey. And I agree they're a little pricey (though, Gund's larger Sesame Street plush cost just as much, actually...and they're a bit smaller) but tracking down older ones would possibly cost the same...

I wish they'd consider smaller ones in scale with the first Sababa line so A) I can finish my set off with Mokey and Matt and B) they'd be a little cheaper and easier to access.