New Pics: Jason Segel and the Muppets at the L.A. movie set

Puckrox

Reaction score
Eric has taken over completely, yes. Since 2002 Eric has done every performance of Fozzie, Piggy, Animal, and Sam Eagle. Frank still comes back every once in awhile for a new Grover sketch on Sesame Street but he has completely retired from the classic Muppet characters... but it's okay, because Eric is awesome.
Oh, I know Eric does a fabulous job. I also know that Frank still comes back and does bits on Sesame, which is why I was curious. It's sad he's retired from Muppets, but I know Eric will be fantastic, just like this movie!

Read this! Uncle deadly is one of the films bad man sidekicks!
SO awesome! I keep getting more and more excited for this film!

dwmckim

Reaction score

TSSD

Reaction score
I'd have to put that in the "maybe" category. The description of the Muppet does fit Deadly's but he also calls it a "new Muppet" and doesn't refer to him by name. Always possible it is Deadly and CC doesn't know Muppet history but it's still wait-and-see on that one.
This photo from bleeding cool shows him, so this could be true.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Seems like this is Deadly since we know he's in it. The real question is...will there be Mildred in 2011?:eek:

beaker

Reaction score
My guess is that it's a newly created bad guy Muppet, and that the Uncle Deadly rebuild is for cameo scenes. Uncle Deadly as a bad guy henchmen is a cool idea, just not sure they're referring to him. Plus I picture him more in a tux for the el capitan scene.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Yes, that's what i was referring to in my last post - i wasn't doubting Deadly was in the movie, just that based on what was thrown out in the article that it can't be 100% confirmed that that's what his role in the movie actually was.

beaker

Reaction score
Yes, that's what i was referring to in my last post - i wasn't doubting Deadly was in the movie, just that based on what was thrown out in the article that it can't be 100% confirmed that that's what his role in the movie actually was.
After seeing more pictures and reading a bit more, it does indeed seem like Uncle Deadly is Chris Cooper's sidekick. I originally thought perhaps they created a smaller character with more color that was dragon like...but seeing Uncle Deadly apart from the main muppets, it seems likely he is whom Cooper was referring too.

Someone suggested that perhaps Cooper discovers him at the old theater, containing a grudge and more than willing to help to destroy the Muppets and put them out of business. As I mentioned in the other thread, its astonishing that Uncle Deadly went from simply being kept alive for decades by niche fan love, to becoming one of the main characters in Disney's main holiday tentpole. Im sure we'll see many shockers and surprises like that

Canadian Fan

Reaction score
I'm assuming that Matt Vogel is puppeteering Uncle Deadly, since he took over Jerry Nelson's Muppet Show characters.

dwmckim

Reaction score
That would be my guess too. I was kind of thinking with Deadly at least, it would be nice if Jerry could dub his voice since (a) it would give Jerry a chance to take part in some way in The Big Relaunch Project and (b) UD is one character whose voice is such a big part of the character - the longtime Shakespearean ham actor! But cool as that may be, that still opens up the "Walter syndrome"; if he was voiced by someone other than a currently active Muppeteer, it would limit the character's ability to do live interviews for the movie's promotional media blitz and beyond, Deadly may come into a bit more prominenance.