Theories why Bear came to an end

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, we live in an ultra pc world now. Elmo and Rosita's dad can come back scarred and wounded from fighting in wars...but
"Sesame Street Old School" dvd has to come with a disclaimer to parents(because *gasp* it shows kids playing in a real ghetto in live action clips, not the fake inner city of Sesame)
That, and it doesn't fit today's obsessive compulsive Rainman-esque needs that have yet to be disproved by actual child psychologists.

Really... the disclaimer should have said:

This was made SPECIFICALLY to satiate the angry older fan base that kept hounding us until we gave them this. Please, do not buy it as a substitute for raising you 2 month old and whine about it with negative reviews on amazon.

REALLY.... have you read those reviews? Like they didn't get the point.

tymardis1

Reaction score
It had its own show at one of the amusement parks in 2005 or 6. It didn't last to long though.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
And kids that are really little... there's no way I'd give them an iPad or iPhone. They need to watch regular TV. And again, that's where Bear and stuff comes in. The fact of the matter is, we're too reliant on everything, and frankly, that's also why we're all a lot bigger than we should be for one thing. And there's such a social scene we're missing in NOT going to movie theaters and boo-ing the trailers that suck, or going to arcades and having people hand you quarters to desperately finish a game. Sure, we have all this stuff to let us "talk" to each other here, but even someone like me who's a complete wallflower thinks this is impersonal.

Technology can make things obsolete, yes... but I really think things need to co-exist and sit side by side. E-readers should NEVER replace real books and libraries, Netflix should never replace movie theaters, X-Box downloads shouldn't replace arcades. You ever get a hundred tickets from an X-Box to win a plastic army man?
It seems that most of us here share the same sentiment that I have about technology - and I thought I was the only one!

I hate the notion that everybody has to now have a mobile phone, email etc, and that it is considered a requirement to be employed, to join something, to be a functional member of society. I hope that E-readers and iPads will never replace books, lest I set I out to destroy every one of those frogging things if it were to happen. Heck, I don't even like modern cars with all the superfluous wizz-bang gadgetry. It's infuriating to see toddlers in the supermarket sitting in a trolley playing with their parent's iphone. Technology is helpful in small doses, but the way we're going is ultimately only serving to make mankind a stupider, lazier race.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Not only that, but all the rapid advancements in new technology and gadgets just further divides the classes. With the economy in the shape it's been for a good while now, enough people are struggling enough being able to afford shelter and food. Not everyone can be spending the kind of money it takes to have all these latest "essential gadgets" and get left behind if they don't.

Myself, i'm still squeaking by with my webtv to access the net, a Tracfone, non-digital tv, dvd player, cds-tapes-records. That's pretty much the extent of gadgetry in my home - many of which are old and sometimes as in the case with the phone, held together with rubber bands!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I hate the notion that everybody has to now have a mobile phone, email etc, and that it is considered a requirement to be employed, to join something, to be a functional member of society. I hope that E-readers and iPads will never replace books, lest I set I out to destroy every one of those frogging things if it were to happen. Heck, I don't even like modern cars with all the superfluous wizz-bang gadgetry. It's infuriating to see toddlers in the supermarket sitting in a trolley playing with their parent's iphone. Technology is helpful in small doses, but the way we're going is ultimately only serving to make mankind a stupider, lazier race.
I do get frustrated with how it's harder and harder to function with other people without embracing some kind of technology, some of which I frankly find untrustworthy.

At the same time, as a shy person I admit there are times I do prefer to communicate with friends by texting, hehe.

And I also imagine that when the phone was first invented, people complained about their new lack of privacy and inability to avoid annoying people ("Why didn't you return my call?" :wink: ). Puts things in perspective for me.

beaker

Reaction score
Not only that, but all the rapid advancements in new technology and gadgets just further divides the classes. With the economy in the shape it's been for a good while now, enough people are struggling enough being able to afford shelter and food. Not everyone can be spending the kind of money it takes to have all these latest "essential gadgets" and get left behind if they don't.

Myself, i'm still squeaking by with my webtv to access the net, a Tracfone, non-digital tv, dvd player, cds-tapes-records. That's pretty much the extent of gadgetry in my home - many of which are old and sometimes as in the case with the phone, held together with rubber bands!
I got rid of cable in 1998, and have never had the urge to get it since. I rarely, if ever watch tv and prefer instead to watch favorite shows in season box sets or download episodes(or stream em online) I did max out a card to get a top of the line computer when my old one died, but partly because the work I do is central to having a good computer. I have the highest commercial speed internet...but I have no interest in an iphone or droid, no interest in blu ray or 55" LED flat tvs. For people that want a cheap phone plan, I recommend Metro PCS if they are in your area. Unlimited talk and text. Now that most people prefer to text than call, I had to get that sort of plan.

But DW, I hear ya. I miss the days when things were less complex. I fear what the future will bring! As if people arent already ADHD compartmentalized in their minds. Heck I wish it was 1988:smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
It seems that most of us here share the same sentiment that I have about technology - and I thought I was the only one!

The thing is, technology should live side by side with certain things... television especially. Sure, I can see DVD's going, and no CD's and stuff like that, though if I REALLY want something, I'd rather have it in my hands and say it's for a collection. Then again, when it comes to TV, computers making it obsolete IS the fault of both the networks and the pirates. Though, it HAS been proven piracy actually DOES help out the sales of anime DVD's (no fooling.. read it a few weeks ago), you either get one of two things... people pirating new shows, detracting from the audience... meaning that we all find a way to watch stuff that has yet to air in this country... only to get ticked off when it gets canceled prematurely... or watching old stuff and not getting into the new stuff they would enjoy. Of course, said networks could... I dunno... TRY HARDER getting a core audience and not trying to come up with "Schmersy Schmore" to tear people away from Jersey Shore.

And I agree... there's a HUUUUGE class gap. I'd love to watch TV online, but... A, it's uncomfortable, B, you need that fiber optic crap. Even high speed DSL isn't good enough anymore.

Daffney

Reaction score
It's a very eerie theory of why Bear came to an end.

It seems like in the past, Disney got what they wanted, complete control over Bear and his friends.

Now it seems like they don't wanna use the characters anymore, not even rerelease some the DVDs. :cry:

beakerboy12

Reaction score
Hey, guys! I just read that Disney is bringing back Bear! It's fantastic! Only, they're not gonna have Noel MacNeal play Bear... And they're taking out Tutter and Trello entirely! Plus, they're making it a late night talk show called Bear Talk with Bear!

Aw, man... APRIL FOOLS!

Drtooth

Reaction score
It seems like in the past, Disney got what they wanted, complete control over Bear and his friends.

Now it seems like they don't wanna use the characters anymore, not even rerelease some the DVDs. :cry:
I've mentioned that before... rereleasing DVD's... even the lame kiddy 3 episode one, reairing them...

Seems that Bear is from a bygone era where kid's programs didn't have to be mock interactive, and talk so patronizingly directly down to them. Again, there have been strides with Curious George and Wow Wow Wubbzy among others... why aren't Dora shows completely out of fashion yet?

Now's as good a time as ever to bring Bear back, at least as a line of toddler consumer products and home video. When Disney launches Disney Junior, that's the perfect time to rerun the series.

Noel gave Bear a warm, caring, but still fun to be around personality... I'd say a Jim Henson company original equivalent to :wisdom:, only a little older. Dora is shrill and obnoxious, and I really don't see how being completely reliant on an imaginary audience makes her a good role model... nor do I see why everything has to take after that, even Mickey and Goofy.