We Have a Picture of Walter AND MORE NEWS!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I remember this year, from July to August we had a flurry of films from Prince of Persia to Avatar(err I mean "The Last Airbender") to Clash of the Titans to Robin Hood that I never had any interest in. You're right, that August would be a death knell and bad sign. December is a very time honored respectable time to release.
I think Prince of Persia was a May or June film. I clearly remember it being before July. But really, used to be June and July were the busiest months for movies... now they like move everything to April. Though, I'm sure they were expecting a LOT of 1990's gamers to actually REMEMBER Prince of Persia. Seriously, how about a movie based off of Out of this World, or Panic Restaurant, or Uforia while we're at it. As long as it's not someone people actually KNOW. Airbender... well, that's a movie that goes to show that M. Night Shabbadoo should NEVER EVER EVER be near a camera again. Even to take family photos. He'd manage to make that suck too....

A Muppet movie would have to compete in the overflowing bulbous gut of Summer blockbusters. I've seen huge budget superfilms fall to even bigger budget superDUPER films that were released on the same weekend, poorly timed. December is quiet enough for them not to have some Marvel comics character people only remember because there's a movie on their tail, but busy enough to get the Christmas vacation, too cold to go anywhere else, we're sick of going to the mall crowd. Anytime between that (except maybe Thanksgiving weekend) would be dangerous for this film.

Which brings me to this... remember last year when the movies weren't as plentiful due to the writer's strike years earlier? We didn't have 8 big budget bombs in one month, and movies that could get an audience thrived. All too often movies that sort of have an audience are released the same 2 week period as a movie everyone's going to see, and loses whatever potential audience it has.

That said, the last live action Asterix movie in Europe was successful, but it had reviews so horrible, it actually won the European version of the Razzie.

Reevz1977

Reaction score
A presumptuous title like "The Great Muppet Comeback" is also a bad idea because critics will root for failure. Maybe simply "The Muppets Return" or "The Muppets Hollywood Misadventure" might work. I think the key is something simple.
From the looks of it, the film may well just be called "The Muppets". If you look at the scripts in the publicity shot thats been doing the rounds thats all it says on the front, in the old Jim Henson era Muppet logo style. Could be wrong though:embarrassed:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
From the looks of it, the film may well just be called "The Muppets". If you look at the scripts in the publicity shot thats been doing the rounds thats all it says on the front, in the old Jim Henson era Muppet logo style. Could be wrong though:embarrassed:
I think you're right. I love that classic logo. This new cartoony one has always made my eyes hurt. It's hard to reinvent such a classic brand look so they shouldn't try. Just polish it up and make it shiny again!

Calling the film "The Muppets" works for me. I understand the apprehension of others, but I think it would be a good thing if this film turns out like we hope it will. That's a big if these days, but the Muppets have experimented enough these past few years and seen what works and what doesn't.

This, in a way, is alomst a reboot. What a dreaded term, but it's a rebirth that honors the original history and takes that into account. I guess it's more of a series brand recognition reboot. After titling a film "The Muppets" they can then tack things onto the title for the sequels.

Nick22

Reaction score
I think you're right. I love that classic logo. This new cartoony one has always made my eyes hurt. It's hard to reinvent such a classic brand look so they shouldn't try. Just polish it up and make it shiny again!

Calling the film "The Muppets" works for me. I understand the apprehension of others, but I think it would be a good thing if this film turns out like we hope it will. That's a big if these days, but the Muppets have experimented enough these past few years and seen what works and what doesn't.

This, in a way, is alomst a reboot. What a dreaded term, but it's a rebirth that honors the original history and takes that into account. I guess it's more of a series brand recognition reboot. After titling a film "The Muppets" they can then tack things onto the title for the sequels.
i kinda like the idea of it being called simply "the muppets" too. that way, a new generation of people will know exactly who they are. and, as you said, it would be great for adding things on the to title for sequals.

beaker

Reaction score

I have noticed a trend. Notice ALL of the sequels and remakes that have come out:

Rocky Balboa, Rambo, The Thing(comes out next year, but is a prequel to John Carpenter's The Thing from 1982), etc. Though I am disappointed with the title "Transformers: Dark of the Moon"(that's not even proper grammar!) and "The Dark Knight Rises"(why not call it simply "Gotham"?)

So I can see why they'd want to go with something as tidy and minimalist as "The Muppets". Given there's no continuity in any Muppet film, its hard to see this as a reboot or a sequel, or a remake or prequel...simply, a relaunch of the brand to the public eye with a serious effort, perhaps.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Whoah! Awesome! This is the first I'd heard that Paul Rudd is playing the voice (and it looks like he might be the right hand of) Walter, wasn't it rumored to have been Michael Cera?

In any case, this is so cool! Man, I wish I could see the Henson Studio renamed as Muppets Studios in real life! I wonder if they'll keep that sign up for a while to promote the new movie?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have noticed a trend. Notice ALL of the sequels and remakes that have come out:

Rocky Balboa, Rambo, The Thing(comes out next year, but is a prequel to John Carpenter's The Thing from 1982), etc. Though I am disappointed with the title "Transformers: Dark of the Moon"(that's not even proper grammar!) and "The Dark Knight Rises"(why not call it simply "Gotham"?)

So I can see why they'd want to go with something as tidy and minimalist as "The Muppets". Given there's no continuity in any Muppet film, its hard to see this as a reboot or a sequel, or a remake or prequel...simply, a relaunch of the brand to the public eye with a serious effort, perhaps.
The next Winnie the Pooh movie will be just called Winnie the Pooh. Yeah... I DON'T LIKE IT! You know, maybe it needs a satirical title, mocking the old films that have sequel after sequel after sequel..."The Revenge of the Muppet Movie" has a fun ring to it.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
If anyone has to be a "celebrity voice" for a Muppet, bring on Paul Rudd! I love that man! He's never not funny, at least to me. He and Jason Segel had such terrific chemistry in "I Love You, Man," that I think this is a great choice. :smile: Great pics, too, by the way.