Katy Perry song banned from Sesame Street Season 41

Should Katy Perry's song been cut from Sesame Street?

• Yes

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • No

Votes: 109 79.0%

• Total voters

audionics

Reaction score
1- Cookie Monster eating "healthy food"
2- The "questionable relationship" that warranted the cutting of Ernie and Bert

If the folks at Sesame Street had always been so spineless when it comes to the opinions of a handful of PC-obsessed parents, we would never have known what happened to Mr. Hooper. After all, isn't death too scary for preschool?
I wish that people would remember the target audience here. These things that raised so many hackles go right over the heads of the kids who watch. :concern:

tiggergirl19

Reaction score
Wasn't Snopp Dogg onSesame Street? If he was, doesn't his image just promote the use of drugs, no matter what? Are parents that scared of letting their kids see what a grown body looks like, and not just the ones that are constantly on Sesame Street? Why won't these parents just let growing children see what different grown bodies look like, if they won't let them see the different bodies? Children need to hear all types of music, so that they can grow intulectually. If you don't let children grow this way, than they won't know much about the different things that are in the world.

Angelios

Reaction score
Katy Perry was scammed

I have to say this ... I think Sesame Street needs to open their eyes and get a grip. I had to have somone show me what the problem was ... I have tolaked to many many outraged parents who agree there was nothing wrong with this skit. Their Might be something wrong with the parenting skills of those involved ... Parents are actually teaching their kids what over reaction and ignorance and censorship are by showing them the video on other sites. The whole thing is a disapointment for me ... I thought Sesame Street was about equality ... and liberating and educating people ... perhaps these are words that are too big for them ... I grew up with on Sesame Street ... I bet they would be just as foolish if say there was a lesbian on the show ... Oh WAIT there were many , what about an asian , Oh Hey there are many of those too ... so a woman wearing a yellow dress is too much ... Perhaps we should examine the video collections of these people .... The little mermaid left little to the Imagination ... need I go on ... Katy Perry should be filing a discrimination suit , I think these people have a problem with another big word "Women". Also was it to be asked , any partent would simply explain these are parts of a woman ... and left it at that. By the way , the video is the best I have seen from Sesame street and Judging from the posts .... I am not in the minority opinion.

MJTaylor

Reaction score
I saw the video on YouTube and I think it is a pity that SW have decided to not use it in the end as I thought it was rather cute. I didn't see anything racy about it at all. Maybe they could shoot it again with Katy wearing a different outfit. Even if they don't, at least we can still watch it on YouTube.

KrazyKritter

Reaction score
I am not a fan of Elmo at all. He is one of the things that ruined what used to be a good show (the old ones are available on DVD, so you can see for yourself. It is not just that my tastes have improved with age). This segment, however, is actually cute. He doesn't have such a big part in it, I guess.
I do not follow much modern music, either, so Katy Perry is not exactly a household name for me. But I saw nothing scanty about those clothes at all. Her breasts are hardly developed enough to notice. Dolly Parton she is not. I've seen small children wear less than that--even little girls wearing no bikini tops in public places. When they are that young, it really isn't a big deal. In this clip, KP is fully clothed, and she even says that she is playing "dress-up," implying that these are not her everyday clothes anyway. Kids DO undress in front of one another, but that reality is not even hinted at in this video.
This is sweet, G-Rated and even Sesame Street worthy, which is rare on the show since the tragic loss of Jim Henson.

ISNorden

Reaction score
I still think a reshoot with a different outfit (or digital reworking, as one member suggested) would be the best solution. The song itself is kid-friendly, as is Kate's behavior towards Elmo...it's just that her outfit doesn't seem right for a playdate. She and Kevin Clash have both joked about wanting another playdate, so I assume she'd be willing to reshoot if Sesame Workshop had the time and money.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
But I'll be nwarffed if implying Muppets going off to war isn't the most offensive thing SS has ever done, even if they were trying to do good by it.
Makes me wonder if they've ever heard Roosevelt Franklin's song "Just Because". Whatever happened to the good ol' days of Sesame Street when they taught things like that? :stick_out_tongue:

But back on topic...(man, I never thought I'd keep replying to this thread, but oddly enough that's what I'm doing).

To the people who've said Katy's dress was "too revealing", "skimpy", or whatever, let me ask you this: why do you suppose you think that?

Because that's the way you, adults, think.

The outfit we're looking at was no different than something you'd see at a ballroom dance or at a wedding. I don't hear anyone complaining about these areas.

I said before, I've been out and about my whole childhood, been to beaches, swimming pools, I've seen outfits just like Katy's. Did I ever think about or give a carp about what these people wore wherever I was as a youngster? Nope, natta, bupkis. Neither did my parents (now that tells you something).

Unless there was a real unjustice going on right now...

Unless you or someone you know is in great danger...

YOU NEED TO...

Bitterpill

Reaction score
The more things change... In the 50s, TV refused to show Elvis Presley from the waist down because his "sexual gyrations" would corrupt the youth of America. 60 years later, Mrs. Russell Brand can't show cleavage on TV because children might find out that women have...wait for it...BOOBS! When did women get boobs? Wh...y wasn't I informed? [sarcasm mode turned off] Shame on the producers of Sesame Street for caving on this. Another generation being taught that their bodies are dirty, vile, disgusting, etc. As Russell Brand himself said, "Today's episode of Sesame Street will not be brought to you by the number 34 & the letter D". Can we all grow up now, please?

mom2adam

Reaction score
I think it is ridiculous to pull the video. If that is considered inappropriate, then take a walk on the beach. You think that kids haven't seen worse there? Half the time you are lucky if some women have their *** covered. I mean it is not even the whole "boob" that is uncovered.
They have a certain picture for Coppertone sunscreen that has a dog pulling on a baby's diaper and the baby's bum is uncovered. So taking Sesame Street's take on it, then that should be pulled form the shelves.
This from the people who have Bert :frown: and Ernie :stick_out_tongue: sleeping in separate houses/rooms, calling Big Bird, Yellow Bird and Cookie Monster:insatiable: now veggie monster and cookies only a sometimes food. Come On!
They are taking censorship too far these days.......