Disney Takes Muppet Script Through Pixar

beaker

Reaction score
And some people are just little nasty schmucks that want to ruin everything for everyone. It was probably some 12 year old spam kid or some reality TV junkie or something.

In my opinion, the only "stupid reboot" of a "rightfullty dead franchise" would be a movie that was made 20 years ago that no one really liked when it first came out. Not that I believe that, mind you... but we're talking about a movie that some of us are waaaay too young to remembe (or at least see in theaters) and only had a slow moving cult following.
Well, I do have that utter contempt and pure loathing for a lot of the stuff out there cloaked as "children's entertainment".

I feel sick to my stomach when I see trailers for crap like the upcoming Smurfs, Yogi Bear movie, or the Garfield and Alvin movies. And unlike the Smurfs which I always felt was garbage, I have always been a huge Garfield fan(just in drawn or 2d animated form)

beaker

Reaction score
Jeez. They just want to watch Collegehumor the movie, don't they. HAHAHAHA Pop culture references having sex and doing drugs. That never got old. Never! :grouchy:

Seriously... a lot of the stuff that's "adult" is more immature than people realize. And frankly, we'd never want a true adult Muppet movie... them talking in French whining about the plight of some hard to pronounce country's farmers while they sip expensive whine... :smirk:
I want an adult muppet movie. I want an edgy Muppet movie.
But when I say adult and edgy, I mean that in how I feel Up is the greatest thing Pixar has ever done. Or how 20 years after you saw a kid's movie/cartoon it hits you with how much nuanced hidden layers of socio political subtexts had been put into it. A special kind of movie that works on dual levels, with sophisticated undertones and super sharp progressive writing. I see shades of that with some of the Muppets.com stuff.

Even the Dinosaurs was very much in that vein. Why they questioned religion, mocked politics to the nastiest degree (basically saying both sides are controlled by the same figure heads to give people the illusion of choice, and putting a buffoon as a candidate for the other side... even mocked trickle down theory), dealt with sex AND sexual harassment, and they even openly mocked Scientology long before South Park.

Of course, those people would rather see Lion-O on a date with He-Man. YAAAAAAAWN :sleep:
I have my religion down as "Potatoism" on my Facebook page

If I want puppets gettin' nasty, I can watch Meet the Feebles or listen to my Avenue Q soundtrack.
Or seek out 75-76 SNL Land of Gorch skits.

Mupp

Reaction score
So Toy Story 3 is worth seeing? Ive never in my life seen a film get so over marketed; so I was a little weary of it by the time it came out. But I'll see it.
I thought that it was a great movie. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I want an adult muppet movie. I want an edgy Muppet movie.
But when I say adult and edgy, I mean that in how I feel Up is the greatest thing Pixar has ever done. Or how 20 years after you saw a kid's movie/cartoon it hits you with how much nuanced hidden layers of socio political subtexts had been put into it. A special kind of movie that works on dual levels, with sophisticated undertones and super sharp progressive writing. I see shades of that with some of the Muppets.com stuff.
The problem is we need a new word for OUR edgy that means clever, sharply written, sneaky little references that say something... because Hollywood edgy is Scary Movie. Basically shoehorning as many at the moment pop culture references without any thought or humor into a thin plot as possible. That's why a good number of kid's movies look like... well... everything you mentioned. Second frikkin Chipmunks movie was just about a commercial for Meerkat Manor. :mad:

But I think we're gonna get OUR definition of edgy with the guys who are writing this. After all, their movies and TV projects are very sharp, have very deep context that's deceivingly well hidden. I mean, I saw Get him to The Greek a couple months ago, and it wasn't just a raucous frat boy comedy, it had some VERY snarky backhands at the music industry and musicians that think they're better than they really are because they pretend to care about charity for their PR. And the ending? Very deep.

I've said it before... the script is in good hands. Just don't let any Simpsons writers get their hands on it like last time. :insatiable:

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
The problem is we need a new word for OUR edgy that means clever, sharply written, sneaky little references that say something... because Hollywood edgy is Scary Movie.
Give me a minute, I'm good at making up words. :busy:

I've got it! 'Godgy'! Short for 'good edgy'! Or maybe 'Cledgy', short for 'clever edgy'! Or how about 'Swedgy', short for 'sharply written edgy'?

...Maybe not. :embarrassed:

I'm usually so good at this.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Well, I do have that utter contempt and pure loathing for a lot of the stuff out there cloaked as "children's entertainment".
Really? Surely not! I've never detected that in any of your previous posts ever! *ahem*

Bea:zany:{Still alive in some other universe somewhere}regard

beaker

Reaction score
The problem is we need a new word for OUR edgy that means clever, sharply written, sneaky little references that say something... because Hollywood edgy is Scary Movie. Basically shoehorning as many at the moment pop culture references without any thought or humor into a thin plot as possible. That's why a good number of kid's movies look like... well... everything you mentioned. Second frikkin Chipmunks movie was just about a commercial for Meerkat Manor. :mad:

But I think we're gonna get OUR definition of edgy with the guys who are writing this. After all, their movies and TV projects are very sharp, have very deep context that's deceivingly well hidden. I mean, I saw Get him to The Greek a couple months ago, and it wasn't just a raucous frat boy comedy, it had some VERY snarky backhands at the music industry and musicians that think they're better than they really are because they pretend to care about charity for their PR. And the ending? Very deep.

I've said it before... the script is in good hands. Just don't let any Simpsons writers get their hands on it like last time. :insatiable:
You just pretty much nailed why I can't sit through Very Muppet Christmas in its entirety, due to being jam packed with un-necessary of the moment tv/film references(which date it pretty quickly) I definitely have faith with the Apatow gang, especially given they have both veteran Muppet writers, Disney's muscle and now even Pixar's brain trust in the mix. I have a feeling this will be a very special little film. One could say, when cameras begin rolling this fall, that the real new era of the Muppets will have truly begun.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's not even just the references that make the film dated (was their any call for the Crock hunter bit?) but that sort of humor is very dated. I swear that was some of the influence of the Simpsons writer(s) that were on the project. But that kind of thing was very early 00's, going back as far as the late 90's. Now, it's not only NOT funny, it's very tired. VMX was unfortunately the product of it being from 2002 or so, and subject to 2002 humor.

And I was so thrilled that they stopped making those kinds of ugly parody movies, then I saw the trailer for "Vampires Suck." You know what's worse than a sappy, melodramatic, dime paper back romance novel movie with vampires? A crappy PARODY of a sappy, melodramatic, dime paper back romance novel movie with vampires that makes references to every single thing that's right now.

:embarrassed: <---- puking in hat.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
I like to think that the GOOD parts of VMX were the work of Jim Lewis and the BAD parts (like that bit with the violent Whos which makes me uncomfortable) were the sole fault of Tom Martin.

I'm probably not 100% right, but that thought helped me get to sleep that night. :smirk: