Disney Takes Muppet Script Through Pixar

Drtooth

Reaction score
I find much of the weird (and rare) Muppet hate actually comes from a distain of puppets and not the Muppet brand or projects as a whole. I've even heard some equate Muppets to clowns. Clowns are just plain creepy IMHO and have nothing to do with Kermit and the gang. Some people are just going to hate.
And some people are just little nasty schmucks that want to ruin everything for everyone. It was probably some 12 year old spam kid or some reality TV junkie or something.

In my opinion, the only "stupid reboot" of a "rightfullty dead franchise" would be a movie that was made 20 years ago that no one really liked when it first came out. Not that I believe that, mind you... but we're talking about a movie that some of us are waaaay too young to remembe (or at least see in theaters) and only had a slow moving cult following.

There's so much disdain for magic posing as "grown up machoness" that just gets under my skin. If you want to tear something down critically with instances and a reasoning behind it, by all means... but this is soulless anger from someone who probably can't wait for Saw 16 because he enjoys watching people getting ripped to shreds. I'm sorry, but some of it does sound like someone's got a psychological hatred of something that was created to make people happy. Jim Henson wanted to entertain people in the purest sense... and to have some nasty little puke rip part of his life's work down because of some deep seated hatred of puppets or childhood things that don't scream masculine that they probably strapped toys to rockets when they were moody teens anyway.

Or it could be that schmuck that was spamming us back in 2004. :batty:

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
The one thing that I hate is that someone made a comment on that article (page 2) saying that the Muppets are
"a stupid reboot of a long-and rightfully-dead franchise."

That really got my blood boiling.

Anyone who hates the Muppets has no soul.
That doesn't really get MY blood boiling (in fact, it makes me kind of sad), but what does is the fact that I've seen several people saying that they should make it R-rated quote/unquote "because all of the Muppet fans have grown up" or because "it would be hilarious". :mad:

Drtooth

Reaction score
That doesn't really get MY blood boiling (in fact, it makes me kind of sad), but what does is the fact that I've seen several people saying that they should make it R-rated quote/unquote "because all of the Muppet fans have grown up" or because "it would be hilarious". :mad:
Jeez. They just want to watch Collegehumor the movie, don't they. HAHAHAHA Pop culture references having sex and doing drugs. That never got old. Never! :grouchy:

Seriously... a lot of the stuff that's "adult" is more immature than people realize. And frankly, we'd never want a true adult Muppet movie... them talking in French whining about the plight of some hard to pronounce country's farmers while they sip expensive whine... :smirk:

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Seriously... a lot of the stuff that's "adult" is more immature than people realize. And frankly, we'd never want a true adult Muppet movie... them talking in French whining about the plight of some hard to pronounce country's farmers while they sip expensive whine... :smirk:
You misspelled 'wine'. :embarrassed:

Slackbot

Reaction score
If I want puppets gettin' nasty, I can watch Meet the Feebles or listen to my Avenue Q soundtrack. (Both of which I like, although MTF makes me cringe on so many levels.) No need to take The Muppets in that direction. Officially, that is...

If the movie is nearing the filming stage, great! Hopefully that means that they took Pixar's crits, used them to improve on the script, and are moving confidently on to the next stage.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You misspelled 'wine'. :embarrassed:
But my point goes across still... right?

A true "adult" movie ( and this is strictly something I stole from The Simpsons) is one of those artsy fartsy movies that people pretend to like because they're insultingly pretentious and people think that pretentious= "people will think I be smaterer than I is!" Plus, things also have to be in credibly depressing too.

BLEH!

As for so called adult comedy... that stuff was a LOT funnier when it was implied. Case in point... Ren and Stimpy. The kid's version merely hinted at their relationship in a "Holy crap! They got away with it?" double entandre that went over kids heads. Where as Adult Cartoon party actually showed it, and it wasn't clever at all. Anything that basically says stuff animation fans said in the 90's in bold loud letters for long periods of time just lost its charm. I'm hoping no one wants a detailed list.

If I want puppets gettin' nasty, I can watch Meet the Feebles or listen to my Avenue Q soundtrack. (Both of which I like, although MTF makes me cringe on so many levels.) No need to take The Muppets in that direction. Officially, that is...
Avenue Q isn't even just "puppets being nasty" as we all know. There is just so much satire and social commentary in it, it's not just the lame juxtaposition of kiddy fare in adult situations. They're actually sating important stuff. Everyone's a little bit racist? No one had the guts to say that for realz. But you put it in a Broadway musical parody of Sesame Street, and people are singing it. Even the Dinosaurs was very much in that vein. Why they questioned religion, mocked politics to the nastiest degree (basically saying both sides are controlled by the same figure heads to give people the illusion of choice, and putting a buffoon as a candidate for the other side... even mocked trickle down theory), dealt with sex AND sexual harassment, and they even openly mocked Scientology long before South Park.

Of course, those people would rather see Lion-O on a date with He-Man. YAAAAAAAWN :sleep:

Mupp

Reaction score
...(basically saying both sides are controlled by the same figure heads to give people the illusion of choice, and putting a buffoon as a candidate for the other side... even mocked trickle down theory)
I gotta say that was one of the most hilarious episodes of all!

Especially Mr. Richfield's big explosion at the end when Earl is revealing everything.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
One thing I've learned writing Dinosaurs fics is ... it's HARD matching their sense of humor.

And since some moron (lol, j/k) put Timmy Turner in my head recently ... could you even imagine that show being a live action movie? They get away with just about as many jokes as Dinosaurs, with their jokes just being more "sparkly" most of the time. My brother and I were constantly surprised with the kinds of jokes that passed censors on that show. You could write an entire dissertation on gender relations alone.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
I'd like to make a small correction to this.

The person who made the statement about all Muppet fans being grown up thought they shouldn't go R-rated, they just thought Disney should shoot for a PG-13 rating.

Either way, they're all missing the point of the Muppets, which is to be quality FAMILY (key word) entertainment. Not just for kids, not just for adults, for EVERYONE! Is that so hard to comprehend! :grouchy:

Now, back on the point, I'm surprised that nobody has yet mentioned Frank Oz's role in Monster's Inc. with all the talk of Pixar and their love and respect for the Muppets.

But my point goes across still... right?
Yes it did, I'm just a stickler for correct spelling. It's one of my bad habits, really.

And since some moron (lol, j/k) put Timmy Turner in my head recently ... could you even imagine that show being a live action movie?
No, but they're doing it anyway.

beaker

Reaction score
I find much of the weird (and rare) Muppet hate actually comes from a distain of puppets and not the Muppet brand or projects as a whole. I've even heard some equate Muppets to clowns. Clowns are just plain creepy IMHO and have nothing to do with Kermit and the gang. Some people are just going to hate. However, the Muppets do have a way to go to rehabilitate their image to the masses. There has to be a reason to make a Muppet movie other than the fact that Muppets are featured. There has to be a good story to tell, quality songs and timeless humor. Most post-Jim projects have been lacking in one or more of those departments so it’s a good thing Pixar is throwing some suggestions at it.
Frogboy, in the mind of the detractors, they never could have gotten what the Muppets are all about. The Muppets have always been relevant, quirky, irreverent. They are not, as some "fans" think in their minds, purely beholden of the 70's and early 80's. they are unlike any franchise in the history of the world; comparisons to Disney, Looney Tunes, etc by people have no merit. It's one of those things where you either get it or you don't, and for those people who see the Muppets as some once cherished relic of the past...well, I guess they just can't see the magic.

With... out... a... doubt! I said that before, actually. They were burned badly by that summer movie I mentioned, but people are STILL seeing Toy Story 3.
So Toy Story 3 is worth seeing? Ive never in my life seen a film get so over marketed; so I was a little weary of it by the time it came out. But I'll see it.